OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
@bullitt5897 are the extrusion connectors custom designed or off the shelf pieces?

Also, as I was going to sleep last night I had the idea of a riser piece to turn a half rack into a full rack just by adding an assembly on top and securing it to the bottom one. One could have a half rack when needed/wanted, then install the upper half to carry kayaks and such.
Additionally, I wanted to address your question about the connectors. All the connectors are custom designed by me and I will be making them for myself first. Testing and then if enough interest I can produce them. I want to make sure there arent any issues before putting them out there.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Ha, I also got a Sting Gray Rubi this week and have been unimpressed with rack/topper options so far. I started designing one made of 80/20 in SolidWorks on Wednesday! You're a ways ahead of me, so I'll start taking notes.

I've used the material in industrial settings and I know it's super stout. The only thing that gives me pause is that I saw some mention that when this stuff is used in high vibration environments, the fasteners like to come loose and you can't get them tight enough without deforming the aluminum. Thoughts on that?
So all my parts are bolt through with the exception for the top horizontal bars in which I will be threading the interior of the 8020. For Vibration resistance I was planning on using blue thread locker. I can also use knurled hardware to reduce the ability for the hardware to back out. Lastly, if it becomes an issue there is always safety wire. These options would require some slight modifications. Additionally, I am looking into how tight of a fit I want the parts to be. given that I have access to HAAS CNC mills and machines I could easily bring the fit down to .005 clearance on all parts. But if I recall correctly I believe 8020 in general can fluctuate up to .05 in deviation.

If you want PM me and I will give you my number and we can chat on design philosphy and maybe I can help you out.

Visualabstrakt

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Ok So reviewing the OEM design for the Trifold. Here is what you guys are going to run into. Because the OEM unit and many aftermarket units fold over the bedrail (in an attempt to stop water intrusion) A normal load bearing rack will not work. However, If you guys want I can design a cover for this rack if a trifold is really what you want. Currently, I have provisions for the T-slot for a soft or even a multi piece hard cover that slides Back to Front. I can machine a Delrin or even metal hard cover and then add some small holders on the sides with a quick lock mechanism for storage.

So to recap: no rack system that is load bearing will work with the trifold design given its method to prevent water intrusion. Now we can look at other designs or even an integrated trifold cover if that is what you guys want. Just let me know and I can work on it in my free time.
Would it be possible to be made with those who already have a trifold cover already?

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Would it be possible to be made with those who already have a trifold cover already?
in order to accommodate that request I would have to push the mounting bases off of the bed rails all together.i would also have to make it super thin and overall we would loose structural rigidity and strength. Can it be designed that way? Yes in aluminum? No...

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I knew I couldn’t be the only one working on this! Mine is slightly different just because I don’t have access to a shop I was planning to water jet and bend flat plates for the uprights. I love the idea, let’s make it happen!

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Additionally, I am looking into how tight of a fit I want the parts to be. given that I have access to HAAS CNC mills and machines I could easily bring the fit down to .005 clearance on all parts. But if I recall correctly I believe 8020 in general can fluctuate up to .05 in deviation.
It is always tricky getting the right fit and nailing that balance between something that fits perfectly togehter with no slop, and something that becomes unable to be assembled once dirt and dust fills in the tight clearance.

If you want PM me and I will give you my number and we can chat on design philosphy and maybe I can help you out.
I'll shoot you over my info. I'm in the super prelim stages, but I could at least be an ear to bounce ideas off of.

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
It is always tricky getting the right fit and nailing that balance between something that fits perfectly togehter with no slop, and something that becomes unable to be assembled once dirt and dust fills in the tight clearance.

I'll shoot you over my info. I'm in the super prelim stages, but I could at least be an ear to bounce ideas off of.
Excatly on the fitment side. If anything I could insert shims to remove vibration. milling out more clearance would be a pain in the ass!

Looking forward to it.

bokonon

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2020 JT
Light Mounts
Bear Bottle Opener
Bike Rack Mount
Kayak Adapter Mounts
Roof Top Tent Rails
RotoPak Mounts
Side and Back Doors
Molle Panels
etc...
I was scrolling through this a little too quickly and my brain combined the first two lines into "Light Beer Mounts." :beer::LOL::beer:

salsadoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Ok So reviewing the OEM design for the Trifold. Here is what you guys are going to run into. Because the OEM unit and many aftermarket units fold over the bedrail (in an attempt to stop water intrusion) A normal load bearing rack will not work. However, If you guys want I can design a cover for this rack if a trifold is really what you want. Currently, I have provisions for the T-slot for a soft or even a multi piece hard cover that slides Back to Front. I can machine a Delrin or even metal hard cover and then add some small holders on the sides with a quick lock mechanism for storage.

So to recap: no rack system that is load bearing will work with the trifold design given its method to prevent water intrusion. Now we can look at other designs or even an integrated trifold cover if that is what you guys want. Just let me know and I can work on it in my free time.
Thanks for the info! this must be the reason why other companies have not made a rack to use w the mopar hard trifold cover. I'm sure all of us who have this cover prefer not to to buy a new cover if possible, to accommodate a new bed rack.

I'd be interested in sliding hard cover in the T-slot that would be lockable to provide some bed security. I think maximus-3 is planning on this w/ their bed rack and sliding cover, assuming it ever comes out (see the 25+ page thread) There are some sliding hard covers on the market but they end up taking up bed space near the cab when the cover is opened. The good thing about the trifold hard cover is that it's easy to take it off the rails (remove 2 bolts) when you need to use the full bed. I did that this weekend to haul a ping pong table.

thanks again for all your efforts!

Last edited:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I like the creativity. You might want to look at this company's website:
https://vention.io/

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I knew I couldn’t be the only one working on this! Mine is slightly different just because I don’t have access to a shop I was planning to water jet and bend flat plates for the uprights. I love the idea, let’s make it happen!
Water jetting some flat plate is a good idea. I don't have a metal brake, but that has given me the idea to make flat brackets to connect the extrusion at the angle that I want instead of using a pivot. Kind of like this https://8020.net/4110.html but at the 17deg angle that @bullett5897 suggested.

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Thanks for the info! this must be the reason why other companies have not made a rack to use w the mopar hard trifold cover. I'm sure all of us who have this cover prefer not to to buy a new cover if possible, to accommodate a new bed rack.

I'd be interested in sliding hard cover in the T-slot that would be lockable to provide some bed security. I think maximus-3 is planning on this w/ their bed rack and sliding cover, assuming it ever comes out (see the 25+ page thread) There are some sliding hard covers on the market but they end up taking up bed space near the cab when the cover is opened. The good thing about the trifold hard cover is that it's easy to take it off the rails (remove 2 bolts) when you need to use the full bed. I did that this weekend to haul a ping pong table.

thanks again for all your efforts!
What Features do you want in a hard cover?

I see the following features:
Lockable
Store able
Weight bearing?
3 separate panels?
Interlocking panels?

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
For me, it is
Lockable
weather proof
rolling

The only covers i know that do them are revolver X4 and Armis.
Revolver X4 does work with RCI and Max Modular bed rack systems.

salsadoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
What Features do you want in a hard cover?

I see the following features:
Lockable
Store able
Weight bearing?
3 separate panels?
Interlocking panels?
I would want lockable, removable/storable, and weatherproof.

it would be a luxury if it could be weight bearing.

Flux

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Excatly on the fitment side. If anything I could insert shims to remove vibration. milling out more clearance would be a pain in the ass!

Looking forward to it.
I tight fit is always best as it will minimize slop that can lead to failure and just garbage fitment. Aluminum is workable enough that a snug fit can be massaged a bit with either a minimal amount of heat or simply the use of some emory cloth the provide additional clearance. Also, would it be feasible enough to add an additional T-slot cross bar that spans from front to rear at the bed rails? This would allow adding either a hard or soft cover which could be attached in the rail. Not sure how difficult it would be to modify existing covers (shouldn't be too bad with a few fabrication skills and ingenuity), or provide you with the mounting locations to design a new cover option.
Sponsored