Sponsored

Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's simple to set up in minutes.
Yes, it's thin.
The nights are cool this time of year down by the river - it stayed fairly warm inside.
HOWEVER, the door does "sweat" so anything that touched it, like the foot end of my sleeping bag, got moist.
Not sure what the hell "the yard sale effect" is LOL - huh?
Even my set it up on the ground tent is of similar, but slightly thicker, material. That one has survived rain - not sure how well this one would do because the door is unprotected and like I said - was wet from the humid air (and maybe me breathing inside)
Again, setup was a breeze - piece of cake, takes less time than my other tent.
I did take the tonneau cover off (two simple bolts) to make it fit better and make setup easier. That takes less than 5 minutes to do - roll up the cover, strap it, take out the bolts, lift it off. Done. The tonneau cover is seen below sitting on my trailer.

I have this tent and have used it many times.
Did you ever use it in the rain?
Did you experience the door being wet in the morning?

I had no trouble with bugs inside but did take the purple painters tape along in case I needed to seal anything up. By the river bugs will eat you alive (Cordova, IL)- sitting in my chair by the trailer I was being eaten alive - in the tent, not a single bug.
YES on the do not tighten straps too tight.
I did what dozens of others have done - the poles were SO LONG they were literally pulling seams to the point of them coming apart if left that way, so I cunt 1.25" off each of the poles and boy did that ever change things! It was a ton better. Yes, the tail lights cause pull at the door if you pull the straps too tight. I found the best thing is to leave them a bit loose and go around tweaking them later after the poles are in and the door zipped up.
I did put the "rain fly" on because it was chilly at night there - although it got really hot the next day so didn't get as cold the night before - apparently a warm front came in. Usually in a tent I'm freezing by the next morning.

After my first use, my only complaint was not having a place to stand up to get dressed in the morning. So, I picked up the SUV tent and I have used it exactly as shown above. Talk about SLICK!
Yeah, getting dressed, changing, whatever - a royal pain for sure!

Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 20210910_191133_HDR
Sponsored

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
"Gear explosion/yard sale". When all the gear in a container has to come out so you can use the space or find something. Hence, you are having a yard sale because all your stuff is laid out on the ground. :)
HOWEVER, the door does "sweat" so anything that touched it, like the foot end of my sleeping bag, got moist.
This is usually caused in tents that have no ventilation feature at the top in either the tent itself or if a rain fly is used in both the tent and the rain fly. Or, if the user did not open the vents in the top of either or both items. Looking at the pics here I don't see a clear shot of any venting features at the top.

Last edited:

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I have one of these tents and have only set up in my driveway as a test so far. Seems nice and although some bugs might be able to get in, the tent sides and front do get pulled against the upper bed rails cutting off most openings.

I have a 16ft Casita fiberglass trailer I would normally take camping and bought this tent for those off road places the trailer can't go. I did consider having to take out all the stuff in the bed but on the rare times I would use the tent I would be traveling fairly light anyway.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
"Gear explosion/yard sale". When all the gear in a container has to come out so you can use the space or find something. Hence, you are having a yard sale because all your stuff is laid out on the ground.
I guess that's why that comment confused me - huh? Doesn't apply to these.
No need to fully empty the bed of the truck - There's no floor to the tent. That's one reason I wanted a floorless design - stuff stayed in the back of the truck or in the back seat.

As you may note from the pic - no such issue here because my stuff was in the back seat and along the sides of the back, mattress in the middle. So nothing sat out.
My bag of clothes and stuff was along the one side ahead of the wheel well, my jump starter pack was along the side behind the wheel well on that side (to charge phone and hearing aids).
So, all of my stuff was in the back seat or along the sides by the wheel well.
I'd say this is a pretty clean look, in fact, others had more "Stuff" laying around than I did LOL.
I left my stuff in the truck while I set it up.
Everything that's on my trailer would have stayed there anyway - the straps for tying the car down, chair, etc.

Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 20210910_191117

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of these tents and have only set up in my driveway as a test so far. Seems nice and although some bugs might be able to get in, the tent sides and front do get pulled against the upper bed rails cutting off most openings.

I have a 16ft Casita fiberglass trailer I would normally take camping and bought this tent for those off road places the trailer can't go. I did consider having to take out all the stuff in the bed but on the rare times I would use the tent I would be traveling fairly light anyway.
Because of how a flap sort of lays over the top of the bed rails, it seems to keep bugs out. I was not far from the river at Cordova dragway - tons of bugs outside, getting bit left and right, but not a single bug inside. I was concerned and brought tape along but didn't need to use it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is usually caused in tents that have no ventilation feature at the top in either the tent itself or if a rain fly is used in both the tent and the rain fly. Or, if the user did not open the vents in the top of either or both items. Looking at the pics here I don't see a clear shot of any venting features at the top.
OK, that makes some sense. Wonder why only the door? Well, I did put the rain fly on just in case. Probably a bad idea.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
A gear bomb. As in crap everywhere. Pull everything out and put it on the ground or wherever to get it out of the bed

Maybe you’re OK with just you in there so you can leave stuff in the bed, but anyone with a second person would likely have to unload everything to make room to sleep in the bed…. Yard sale time.

And then when it’s time to move it’s everything in reverse, load it all back up. Rinse and repeat.

Glad you’re enjoying it.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A gear bomb. As in crap everywhere. Pull everything out and put it on the ground or wherever to get it out of the bed

Maybe you’re OK with just you in there so you can leave stuff in the bed, but anyone with a second person would likely have to unload everything to make room to sleep in the bed…. Yard sale time.

And then when it’s time to move it’s everything in reverse, load it all back up. Rinse and repeat.

Glad you’re enjoying it.
Uh, two people ain't gonna easily fit into the bed of a Gladiator anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem. There's not a lot of space between the wheel wells. You'd need one of those air mattresses made to go over and around the wheel wells. Would be snug in there for sure. I'm not a tall guy or THAT big and it was just enough for me. I almost had to lay diagonally to fit without my feet hitting the door.
Anyway, I can't see these being for two people, so...............

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
Did you ever use it in the rain?
Did you experience the door being wet in the morning?
Jeep Gladiator Any experience with Rightline Gear truck tent? 20210910_191117
I have used it in the rain, yes. Not much moisture got inside the tent. No more than a regular ground tent would in a rain storm. I have always had the rain fly on.

I haven’t had any moisture on the door either. I do live in a very dry climate and most of my camping has been in Utah, Arizona and Wyoming. So that could be the humidity in your area. There are the small triangular screens in the tent that should help with ventilation.

I just had another thought. The door does seem to have a different coating on the inside of the material. I believe that is due to the fact that it is mostly exposed when the rain fly is on. That is likely to help prevent water from getting in. But it may be getting condensation inside due to the humidity combined with your breathing, etc. That could be what it’s only on the door.

Last edited:

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Have you used the tent since this last post?
Do you still like it?
I have been contemplating getting that with an AirBedz mattress which is designed to fit around the wheel wells.

I'd really like to get a RTT, but this is much more affordable

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I saw one of those tents up for sale in the FB Marketplace here in Houston a while back. Was going for about $100. Supposedly only used 1 time. I had gotten a Gazelle T4. thing goes up in like 90 seconds (Longer if you have to steak it down). Can put a cot in it along with other stuff. Goes down and packs away just as fast. Has survived 40 MPH winds for 10 hours and 25 MPH + winds for multiple days along with rain. I managed to get it on Marketplace for $150. Couldn't believe it.
Sponsored