Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/super-tweeters-pair-jeep-wrangler-jl

I listen to a lot of audio books during my drive and sometimes the narrator is pretty low. ive had my volume up to 30 just to hear it with the windows down. Im wondering if these would help.

I have absolutely no knowledge about sound systems or anything and don't want to get into a whole system swap or something...hoping to either do a fast plug and play upgrade or none at all.

It probably doesn't help that my hearing in my right ear is F'ed up from the Army, but the finer points of a sound system are lost on me.
Sponsored

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

broadz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Overland
You are replacing a full-range speaker with only a tweeter. This will have a negative impact on the lower midrange frequencies. You will experience a "hole" in the frequency range and as such it will drag the sound stage backward (the rear speakers will still play these frequencies)
If replacing only dash speakers, you are best with another better fullrange driver, 2 way coaxial (or coincident) or replace both knee speakers and dash speakers with a 2 or 3 way component speaker set

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You are replacing a full-range speaker with only a tweeter. This will have a negative impact on the lower midrange frequencies. You will experience a "hole" in the frequency range and as such it will drag the sound stage backward (the rear speakers will still play these frequencies)
If replacing only dash speakers, you are best with another better fullrange driver, 2 way coaxial (or coincident) or replace both knee speakers and dash speakers with a 2 or 3 way component speaker set
AFAIK, the dash speakers are tweeters only. May be different in AU spec? Swapping out to a 2-way from a tweeter only helped me.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the replies folks.

I have no idea what the differnece is between a tweeter / 2 way / 3 way /a coax / ect. Unless some one is able to dumb that all WAY down for me it seems like I have some reading to do at some point.

Sponsored

broadz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Overland
Sorry, i'll go back to basics:

Tweeter: small speaker which plays high frequencies (treble)
Midrange speaker: smallish speaker that plays midrange sounds (vocals, guitar etc)
Midbass speaker: largish speaker that plays low frequency sounds (drum kicks etc)
Subwoofer: plays low bass frequencies and fills the bottom end of the sound spectrum.
Fullrange/widerange speaker: a speaker that plays all frequencies or a wide range covering midrange AND high frequencies.
Passive Crossover: a dividing box specifically designed to split the sound at certain crossover frequencies to suit a particular speaker set
2 way = two individual speakers covering the frequency range from midbass to treble (normally a midbass speaker and a tweeter)
3 way = three individual speakers covering the frequency range from midbass to treble (normally a midbass speaker, a midrange speaker and a tweeter)

You would ultimately be replacing a speaker designed to reproduce midrange and high frequencies with one that can only do high frequencies (albeit, better than stock full range). With the knee speakers only really any good for mid bass, you will have a noticeable hole in the sound spectrum in the midrange - the most important part of the sound spectrum.

A coaxial speaker combines midrange speakers and tweeters into one single speaker so it can perform the duties of a fullrange speaker but achieve high frequencies much more pronounced than the factory 3.5 can do. It has a tweeter mounted above the centre of the cone.

A Coincident speaker is the same as a coaxial speaker but has tweeter mounting IN the centre of the cone, not above it.

Component speakers are multiple speakers that form a set giving you the ability to mount a midrange and tweeter separate to each other with a passive crossover.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, i'll go back to basics:

Tweeter: small speaker which plays high frequencies (treble)
Midrange speaker: smallish speaker that plays midrange sounds (vocals, guitar etc)
Midbass speaker: largish speaker that plays low frequency sounds (drum kicks etc)
Subwoofer: plays low bass frequencies and fills the bottom end of the sound spectrum.
Fullrange/widerange speaker: a speaker that plays all frequencies or a wide range covering midrange AND high frequencies.
Passive Crossover: a dividing box specifically designed to split the sound at certain crossover frequencies to suit a particular speaker set
2 way = two individual speakers covering the frequency range from midbass to treble (normally a midbass speaker and a tweeter)
3 way = three individual speakers covering the frequency range from midbass to treble (normally a midbass speaker, a midrange speaker and a tweeter)

You would ultimately be replacing a speaker designed to reproduce midrange and high frequencies with one that can only do high frequencies (albeit, better than stock full range). With the knee speakers only really any good for mid bass, you will have a noticeable hole in the sound spectrum in the midrange - the most important part of the sound spectrum.

A coaxial speaker combines midrange speakers and tweeters into one single speaker so it can perform the duties of a fullrange speaker but achieve high frequencies much more pronounced than the factory 3.5 can do. It has a tweeter mounted above the centre of the cone.

A Coincident speaker is the same as a coaxial speaker but has tweeter mounting IN the centre of the cone, not above it.

Component speakers are multiple speakers that form a set giving you the ability to mount a midrange and tweeter separate to each other with a passive crossover.
HOLY CRAP THANKS FOR THIS!

So if im understanding this a coaxial or a coincident speaker would be a better replacement for the stock alpine speakers?

An if so are there any that are just plug and play? Not asking you to do all my leg work, if you can just chuck a name or brand at me I may be able to figure it out on my end.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I have the 7" display/radio in my Mojave and it has an audio equalizer you can tweak, which will be more beneficial than swapping speakers just for spoken voice. I suspect all radio models have an EQ feature. I went into mine and its a three band, bass/mid/treble. You can boost the mids all the way then add some treble to taste and I think that will make voices stand way out and be more intelligible. The equalizer has much more range than you would ever get swapping out a similar size speaker. Try it and let us know if it works for you.

BTW I found the Alpine premium sound system in mine with the equalizer set to 0 at all frequencies sounded a bit to boomy on the bass and its much more natural with the bass turned to -3 to -4 and it still has plenty of bass. Turning down the bass may also improve voice range intelligibility.

El Barto

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Mercury Cougar ‘73

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Nice, but those are 4 ohms. Don't we need 2 ohm speakers if we only swap 1 of the 2 speakers in each corner?
No, the stock speakers are somewhere between 4 and 8 ohm.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/super-tweeters-pair-jeep-wrangler-jl

I listen to a lot of audio books during my drive and sometimes the narrator is pretty low. ive had my volume up to 30 just to hear it with the windows down. Im wondering if these would help.

I have absolutely no knowledge about sound systems or anything and don't want to get into a whole system swap or something...hoping to either do a fast plug and play upgrade or none at all.

It probably doesn't help that my hearing in my right ear is F'ed up from the Army, but the finer points of a sound system are lost on me.
I think those tweeters are over priced. I have a detailed thread on my JL/JT speaker upgrade here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/base-system-speaker-upgrade.75015/#post-1576394 .

However, if you have hearing issues and your goal is to listen to audio books, just replace the upper dash speakers with a pair of the Infinity 3032s. The low impedance combined with the high efficiency of these speakers will give you the volume you need. If you have the base system, install the base blocking capacitors that come with the speakers. If you have the factory amplifier, do not install the capacitors. @ShadowsPapa is testing this setup, maybe he can provide some input on his experience.
Sponsored