First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma Off Road 2017
Occupation
Parts Technician
Hey everyone, I figure I could chime in here. My name is Ralf, and I own Summit Expedition Trucks Ltd. in Alberta Canada. We're developing flatbeds for a wide range of mid size and full size SRW trucks. The Gladiator is one of our top priorities, and we're finishing up the design phase soon! We've done extensive research, and believe we have the answer to the ultimate tray/flatbed configuration. We are working on canopies as well! We want to give Australian designs without the lead time of having to come across the Pacific Ocean!

Attached are some 3D renders of what we plan on producing.

Some quick specs;

- 72in long and 72in wide. Ultimate increase in usable real state.
- Full aluminum construction, base deck is welded together
- Fully modular design; headboard, fenders, tool boxes, drawer, water tank; are all bolt on options and can be added at any point.
- The base model includes the deck, all plug and play wiring, fuel filler relocation and mounting hardware
- Pricing isn't 100% ready yet, but prices will most likely range from $5,500 USD to $10,500 USD (rough estimate), and depends on options
- Weight is roughly 230lbs to 450lbs depending on configuration
- Fender options available up to 40in tires, and most likely tuck a 41-42in tire

I'd say the best part about the ones we will be producing is you'd only need two guys to do the install. Since the accessories are easily bolted on.

If you'd like more info, check us out on Facebook & Instagram @summitexpeditiontrucks

Website will be live soon too!

Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? Jeep 4
Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? Jeep 3
Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? Jeep 2
Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? Jeep 1
Sponsored

OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, I figure I could chime in here. My name is Ralf, and I own Summit Expedition Trucks Ltd. in Alberta Canada. We're developing flatbeds for a wide range of mid size and full size SRW trucks. The Gladiator is one of our top priorities, and we're finishing up the design phase soon! We've done extensive research, and believe we have the answer to the ultimate tray/flatbed configuration. We are working on canopies as well! We want to give Australian designs without the lead time of having to come across the Pacific Ocean!

Some quick specs;

- Fully modular design; headboard, fenders, tool boxes, drawer, water tank; are all bolt on options and can be added at any point.
- The base model includes the deck, all plug and play wiring, fuel filler relocation and mounting hardware
- Pricing isn't 100% ready yet, but prices will most likely range from $5,500 USD to $10,500 USD (rough estimate), and depends on options
- Fender options available up to 40in tires, and most likely tuck a 41-42in tire

I'd say the best part about the ones we will be producing is you'd only need two guys to do the install. Since the accessories are easily bolted on.

If you'd like more info, check us out on Facebook & Instagram @summitexpeditiontrucks

That looks awesome. Nice work. Can't wait to see one actually on the road working!
I see all the old Willy's truck adds and wish to see those work horses in todays time.

Looking forward to one posted in real use.

Now we just need a panel truck.........

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard

Some quick specs;

Jeep 4.png
Jeep 3.png
Jeep 2.png
Jeep 1.png
Definitely interested to see it with canopy options, but not sure I like adding 12" in length to the factory bed and I would like to see spare tire mounts so that you can remove the spare from under the bed.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Definitely interested to see it with canopy options, but not sure I like adding 12" in length to the factory bed and I would like to see spare tire mounts so that you can remove the spare from under the bed.
Oh and I would really like a slide out drawer in addition to the side tool boxes...your design is very utilitarian, but not really built for overlanding in my opinion.

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Parts Technician
Oh and I would really like a slide out drawer in addition to the side tool boxes...your design is very utilitarian, but not really built for overlanding in my opinion.
We can always make it 5ft or 5.5ft if really need be. We did a 6ft on a Tacoma to test, and it really maximized the usable space, and it was easy numbers, 36sqft.

There will be dual spare tire mounts integrated into the headboard, can easily fit up to 35’s, maybe even 37’s.

I can do a mock up of a canopy for some better visuals. We will do 3 different lengths; 36in half canopy, 60in compact/theee-quarter canopy, and full length 72in canopy.

There will be an optional 4ft long, 2ft wide drawer out the rear. The side boards are removable, without the need of any tools.

Once the production model is ready, I hope it’ll help more so visually, as we are aiming for the over landing community, but also trades and contractors. As the idea is to bring the same quality and function that we see in Australia, without the additional costs or lead times.

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We can always make it 5ft or 5.5ft if really need be. We did a 6ft on a Tacoma to test, and it really maximized the usable space, and it was easy numbers, 36sqft.

There will be dual spare tire mounts integrated into the headboard, can easily fit up to 35’s, maybe even 37’s.

I can do a mock up of a canopy for some better visuals. We will do 3 different lengths; 36in half canopy, 60in compact/theee-quarter canopy, and full length 72in canopy.

There will be an optional 4ft long, 2ft wide drawer out the rear. The side boards are removable, without the need of any tools.

Once the production model is ready, I hope it’ll help more so visually, as we are aiming for the over landing community, but also trades and contractors. As the idea is to bring the same quality and function that we see in Australia, without the additional costs or lead times.
Thanks for the added information, definitely is more appealing knowing there are options. I'm running a full bed rack now and a custom made hi clearance rear bumper with dual swingout tire carrier and jerry can holder but love the idea of the a flatbed (not the price necessarily haha). Obviously I am only one opinion of many and there are only so many on this forum that will even offer it, but I am also running a Gobi Stealth rack over my cab, it would be nice to be able to keep that rack with a flatbed option. Your headboard may make that difficult. Just something to think about. Gobi is the sleekest safari rack option I think for Jeeps and it might be worth seeing if your measurements would be compatible with someone that wants both.

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Parts Technician
Thanks for the added information, definitely is more appealing knowing there are options. I'm running a full bed rack now and a custom made hi clearance rear bumper with dual swingout tire carrier and jerry can holder but love the idea of the a flatbed (not the price necessarily haha). Obviously I am only one opinion of many and there are only so many on this forum that will even offer it, but I am also running a Gobi Stealth rack over my cab, it would be nice to be able to keep that rack with a flatbed option. Your headboard may make that difficult. Just something to think about. Gobi is the sleekest safari rack option I think for Jeeps and it might be worth seeing if your measurements would be compatible with someone that wants both.
Sounds like a nicely put together truck!

For the headboard we’ll have the ability to have different height options, since it’s a removable feature! So if you need a specific height, we can accommodate as such. Shown here, is the 33in tall version.

The canopies will most likely all be one height. Here’s some renders I came up with. There will be a 3rd option, the 3/4 (compact) canopy, that is 60in long.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? DCF7BDCF-C7BE-4F13-AD02-9EF273908669
Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? BDB004FE-05A7-474D-B9C2-BBB1733641F5
Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? 281B7426-1F6B-4D4A-A7F0-8EEEAF9897A5
Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? E0217DEC-B01A-4AAD-9893-080C8569CAF6

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
IMO they really won't be that useful. Those beds are basically cutting the overall towing capacity in more than half, due too the weight of the bed. But too each his/ her own. That's why I kept me 1 ton Dodge. But then I don't think I have a trailer small enough to put behind the JT lol
I could see an application for someone in welding to customize as a mobile welding truck, lots in action for full size, this would be just a smaller version

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Parts Technician
Hello everyone, just chiming in that our website, www.setoverland.com is now live! Pricing can be seen there, as well as options.

We’re also looking at designing a shorter tray option, which will be better suited for very aggressive departure angles, while still having the rear tool boxes and drawer system.

I’ll post up the design here later this week or so.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!

I like the 6 foot bed for overlanding; steep departure angles aren't a major concern. The utility is greatly increased; if after market companys like Alucab provide a corresponding camper...or someone else with equal or better build. Most important question is how to distribute the weight; front to back with a Ruby Diesel?

Sponsored

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Parts Technician
I like the 6 foot bed for overlanding; steep departure angles aren't a major concern. The utility is greatly increased; if after market companys like Alucab provide a corresponding camper...or someone else with equal or better build. Most important question is how to distribute the weight; front to back with a Ruby Diesel?
Absolutely agreed! That's why we have a 6ft on the Tacoma.

So we've been working with Bison Overland Campers and they are working on a mid size camper option that will work with the 6ft tray/flatbed option.

As for weight goes, it'll be getting up there when adding the camper and a Rubicon Diesel. But that would be a dream to go long distances with!

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Parts Technician
Good day everyone!

Quick update! We just received our 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel. It'll be getting a flatbed, Ute tray, in the coming days. The Jeep trays will require they're own unique headboard, and will be an awesome sight when we're done!

We'll start a thread once we finish the build with more details!

Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? Jeep Gladiator 1
Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? Jeep Gladiator 2
Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? Jeep Gladiator 3
Jeep Gladiator Anyone covert over to a flatbed yet? Jeep Gladiator 4

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Good day everyone!

Quick update! We just received our 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel. It'll be getting a flatbed, Ute tray, in the coming days. The Jeep trays will require they're own unique headboard, and will be an awesome sight when we're done!

We'll start a thread once we finish the build with more details!

BTW...in your coordination with Bison Campers, are you pushing for an over the cab pop-up (just over the rear seats) to provide more room for an elevated bed? I'm not looking for anything real fancy, more utilitarian (and less weight). Being 72 inches wide, this would allow a much wider bed for 2, than most of the other products on the market.

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Parts Technician
BTW...in your coordination with Bison Campers, are you pushing for an over the cab pop-up (just over the rear seats) to provide more room for an elevated bed? I'm not looking for anything real fancy, more utilitarian (and less weight). Being 72 inches wide, this would allow a much wider bed for 2, than most of the other products on the market.
The only challenge we have to conquer is the Jeep body is 65-66" wide, and the mirrors don't stick out much further than that. The tray/deck will be 72" wide, but we're going to be mindful of how we're designing the headboard. This will also play a part in how wide the campers and canopies can be.

Anderson

First Name
Anderson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tinker Extraordinaire
TRP Offroad currently has a flatbed under design and review The design is model specific.

Our design process takes into consideration the unique features and properties of each chassis’ requirements. The intent is to deliver a product that highlights the chassis’ strengths while being able to help lessen the impact of some of the unique chassis’ shortcomings. This means that a Tacoma flatbed will not fit on a Gladiator and vice versa.

Our renderings won’t be released until we have something more substantiative to talk about. The designs follow the basic DNA of our other models; aluminum, lightweight, modular, brake formed, powder coated and shipped worldwide.
Sponsored

Last edited: