Anyone has jeep refuse warranty work with out having receipts for oil changes

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
When I do change my own oil, I buy it in bulk, so I wouldn't have a receipt for each oil change. I haven't changed it myself on the JT yet, thanks to Jeep Wave. I guess when/if I do, I'll definitely record it somehow. I just don't know how, other than in the service records on the app.
Sponsored

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
Every credit card purchase you make is on file forever. I am now 70 and I have never paid for, or had a dealer ever do an oil change, brake job, or any other service. I am not a mechanic but I could be.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Well that’s fraud, so I’d advise against that.

You don’t typically need receipts, just records. If you can come up with approximate dates and write them down on paper and include the service performed that’s usually enough.

I would also consider moving to a different dealership if they refuse to help you.
I keep a record of everything. I would call Jeep.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

You don’t typically need receipts, just records. If you can come up with approximate dates and write them down on paper and include the service performed that’s usually enough.

I would also consider moving to a different dealership if they refuse to help you.
Yes, and service work is recorded online with your VIN. Every thing the dealerships have done with mine can be found online on the MOPAR site.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I do change my own oil, I buy it in bulk, so I wouldn't have a receipt for each oil change. I haven't changed it myself on the JT yet, thanks to Jeep Wave. I guess when/if I do, I'll definitely record it somehow. I just don't know how, other than in the service records on the app.
There used to be places to record things like oil changes in the owner manual. Now you can do it online - MOPAR dot com, your "garage". You can see dealer entries and you can make your own entries.

Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Having been a service writer in my younger days, I can absolutely tell you that this is the industry norm.

Otherwise people would do nothing and then claim that they did their own oil changes. If they had half a brain, they would change the oil just before bringing it in so they could say "see, clean oil".

The bottom line is that it is not unreasonable for Jeep to require some documentation of your oil changes for them to honor their warranty.
I hate seeing responses like these. It just proves how little value the dealerships add in today's world. Excuses saying a sales guy shouldn't be held accountable to be an expert in what he sells or under-educated service writers/managers that aren't qualified for their positions. Its really not hard to prove root-cause failures, just takes time.

Whether you feel it is unreasonable or not, it is absolutely illegal on the dealership's side to put an excessive burden of proof on the warranty holder. It is a clear violation of the Magnuson-Moss Act. Precedent has been established numerous times that a notebook or app or just testimony from the owner that the item was serviced per the OEM recommendation at the claimed intervals is generally sufficient "proof". Even moreso, in the event that the oil wasn't changed, they would have to prove that that caused the issue.

If the dealer had changed the oil and found something suspicious, they may have enough standing, though without identifying the actual root issue, its doubtful that any court would be able to dismiss the claim.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hate seeing responses like these. It just proves how little value the dealerships add in today's world. Excuses saying a sales guy shouldn't be held accountable to be an expert in what he sells or under-educated service writers/managers that aren't qualified for their positions. Its really not hard to prove root-cause failures, just takes time.

Whether you feel it is unreasonable or not, it is absolutely illegal on the dealership's side to put an excessive burden of proof on the warranty holder. It is a clear violation of the Magnuson-Moss Act. Precedent has been established numerous times that a notebook or app or just testimony from the owner that the item was serviced per the OEM recommendation at the claimed intervals is generally sufficient "proof". Even moreso, in the event that the oil wasn't changed, they would have to prove that that caused the issue.

If the dealer had changed the oil and found something suspicious, they may have enough standing, though without identifying the actual root issue, its doubtful that any court would be able to dismiss the claim.
Not all dealers are like that. I've had things done under warranty that were not warranty but they did it (and likely just ate the cost as I saw nothing recorded online)
All that has to be done is them or the owner draw an oil sample just before any work starts if everyone wants to cover their butts.
But seriously, like you said - any credit card receipt showing an oil and/or filter purchase, and your CC company can get you that, or just writing it down in the book. Space used to be provided for that purpose. They expected you to either do it yourself or go to some other mechanic, or whatever. They can't force you to go to a dealer for an oil change in order to cover warranty.

And frankly, if this is related to other posts I've seen talking about "strange noises", I'd lean toward "it's not the engine". Things just don't add up.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Having been a service writer in my younger days, I can absolutely tell you that this is the industry norm.

Otherwise people would do nothing and then claim that they did their own oil changes. If they had half a brain, they would change the oil just before bringing it in so they could say "see, clean oil".

The bottom line is that it is not unreasonable for Jeep to require some documentation of your oil changes for them to honor their warranty.
Yes, it is completely unreasonable. End of discussion. Only someone from a dealer would think otherwise.

It's very obvious when an engine suffers damage from lack of oil changes. Without that obvious damage, there is no reason for a dealer to question oil changes. It's just another way to screw customers and convince them they have to go to a dealer for service to protect the warranty; which is more BS.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I’ve been changing my oil myself because of bad luck with jeep and now I’m having a weird noise and they won’t warranty motor work because I don’t have receipts for when I changed my oil. Sounds crazy
Sounds like a shitty dealership, time to switch

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Well this made me curious as to what is documented when I sign into the Jeep app as far as service that was done on my Jeep by the dealer.

The first entry was when I purchased the Jeep. The date is wrong but it is correct when you bring up the warranty information

The second entry was when I drove down for the Auto Start Start not working. They entered electrical issue, flat repaired.

The third entry is for oil/lube/filer
Flat repaired

The forth entry was for diesel def recall. It states miscellaneous, interior trim, repaired flat.

So let it be known that Jeep’s documentation is very lacking and I have never had a flat repaired!

Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I concur. Time to try a new dealer.

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Well thankfully Walmart has a way to pull up receipts online and I was able to pull them all up and download them. Just sent the dealer a copy of the receipts and photos of the oil and filter I use since I had that laying around at home. I’ll see what they say now. Not sure if I should have them work on it or take it somewhere else. They said the noise is definitely from the engine and that they would need it a week to tear it down and they only have 2 mechanics that can tear engines apart.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Tear it apart? I usually have a great idea of what the noise is and where it's coming from before I tear into something so I don't pull a pan for a lifter noise.
I know of a car that had a rod knock that was fixed by tightening the flex plate bolts. Repair - 30 minutes.
I hope they are troubleshooters and don't just tear into it before the know what they are looking for.

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Tear it apart? I usually have a great idea of what the noise is and where it's coming from before I tear into something so I don't pull a pan for a lifter noise.
I know of a car that had a rod knock that was fixed by tightening the flex plate bolts. Repair - 30 minutes.
I hope they are troubleshooters and don't just tear into it before the know what they are looking for.
Hopefully they know what there doing. I was surprised they said the noise was engine. I was hoping maybe exhaust or something else. Jeep sounds fine sitting there idling. Only makes flutter sound around 3,000 rpms

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee

Fraud? Lol you are really square
Sponsored