Sponsored

Anyone setup a heat exchanger for hot water?

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I have been making some tweaks to my setup and considering installing a heat exchanger for hot water for showers.

There are pros and cons and yes, you need to run your engine to get hot water.

I am curious if anyone on here has experience installing a system like this on a 3.6 Gladiator. It would involve an RV type pump that comes on when it senses low pressure, a thermostatic valve to control temps, and a dedicated water tank.

Any tips on what heat exchanger to use? Size pump? Etc...
Sponsored

TheGerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
IT
I was looking into some shower setup, and I'm pretty sold on a system from Joolca, and yes, it requires gas but it makes it more flexible for me.

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking into some shower setup, and I'm pretty sold on a system from Joolca, and yes, it requires gas but it makes it more flexible for me.
The Joolca is a good system. That is what I have currently. I am trying to simplify setup and what I carry with me. I have had an occasional issue with getting the Joolca to light but overall happy with it. The cover that Joolca has available is not very well built though. The zipper is shot on mine and I need to either get a new one or put it in a hard box if I decide to keep it. Joolca does have amazing customer support and would probably replace it for me no questions asked if I wanted that.

I am looking to have the tank, pump, and all hoses permanently installed. If I use the heat exchanger to heat the water then all I would have to do is start up the engine for a bit and use a quick connect for the shower head. No need to carry spare D cell batteries or propane.

Both are good setups. I think that the heat exchanger works better for me as long as it works how I expect it to.
Sponsored