Sponsored

Anyone tried the Mopar Sun Bonnet 82215620?

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Question..
See pictures below. Is this trim piece the belt rail for the soft top or is this under the hard top?
Im curious cause im thinking of making a duster that covers the back seat area and it needs to clip under a belt rail.
Also can the front zippered flap of the sun bonnet stay in place with the hard top on or does it have to be removed (flip down windshield) every time you put the hard top back on?
Thanks in advance!

20200522_223710.jpg

20200522_223752.jpg
Sponsored

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I got those front clips on by partially unzipping, pulling on the clips until they popped in place, then zipping back up.

My problem is the the rearmost of the 3 snaps that attach to the passenger side rear door frame (not the ones with straps) doesn't really engage. It's under lots of tension, but it doesn't snap well. Any flapping pops it off, then the flapping increases until other snaps start popping off. It makes it questionable at anything over 50mph.

I'm gonna contact the vendor because I think that particular snap is defective.

JeffreyDV

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I got those front clips on by partially unzipping, pulling on the clips until they popped in place, then zipping back up.

My problem is the the rearmost of the 3 snaps that attach to the passenger side rear door frame (not the ones with straps) doesn't really engage. It's under lots of tension, but it doesn't snap well. Any flapping pops it off, then the flapping increases until other snaps start popping off. It makes it questionable at anything over 50mph.

Did you try squeezing the snap a little with pliers? I had a couple that didn’t hold well. I squeezed them a bit and they hold perfectly.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

Hi @ALVagabond
If you are unable to apply this product correctly on your own, we certainly suggest bringing your vehicle in to your dealer for assistance. Our team is always available via private message for support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

pmh076

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Has anyone had this in the rain? Doing a small road trip this weekend and want to take the top off at a minimum, but would prefer to have some sort of cover if rain/thunderstorm pop up (at least until i can get into cover).

TheDuneSea

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
I've been following this thread here but just became a member. I put my suntop on a couple weeks ago but had to travel and had similar issues as you guys list above...
1. front clasps not reaching
2. too loose in back
3. pockets on top too far forward to make a secure fit on the freedom top latches

1. Yesterday I tried again to get the front clips on, it was difficult, but the top was also very hot as it sat in the sun most of the day on the jeep. I was able to get them in place but I admit you have to "WANT TO" get them on.

2. when driving the rear flaps so much, it would bang on the heads of anyone sitting in back, my fix was to take a pair of the rear straps with buttons (the ones that secure on the side not the very rear) and simply tie a knot in the strap which made both sides very tight and took up all slack in the middle. I'll post a pic soon. It was a bit tough to tie a knot (simple overhand) in that short strap but it can be done.

3. With the top hot, I snugged the straps around the sound bar more which more rear force on the top thus making the pockets slightly tighter on the latches.

End result is the top fits much tighter and isn't flopping around nearly as much...

I wish I'd taken a before pic to show the difference in the appearance of the rear of the top.

NOTE: I have 4 para-cord style grab handles that lie under my top at each window location which is also helping to make my top a tad tighter.

Cheers.

8ABC2E36-9698-4CE6-AACD-49EE4520926B.jpeg

E2F987D4-34CD-445F-B255-424B381DD632.jpeg

5B2D32E4-E273-476D-BDF2-EFBEE64E6BE2.jpeg

831D571D-2671-4ACA-B013-6E403260521D.jpeg

EDF64348-1835-4146-8C77-488AFA4B3F0B.jpeg

EFF13BAC-3AA1-4AEC-87DB-455D753DA619.jpeg

365B5215-7CAC-430B-81EA-589DC8DF3825.jpeg

Last edited:

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I have had this top for a few weeks and today it was put to the test as it started pouring rain on me while out driving. The back seats got soaked from water falling off the back of the top (wish it were a few inches longer). But I stayed mostly dry. Water does get in the Jeep and it isn’t perfect but way better than no top.

lukem80

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I know this is an old thread but what are the velcro slits in the top of this top for?

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I know this is an old thread but what are the velcro slits in the top of this top for?
IIRC, they fit over the two extensions from the sound bar to help anchor the center of the bonnet to reduce flappage.

Sponsored

lukem80

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I know about the internal black flaps that go into your soundbar that keep the flapping down. if you look on the top of the sun bonnet on each side near the roll bar will be a set of 4 tiny slits in the top held on with velcro. kinda weird.

This thing from Mopar is really made by covercraft... highly overpriced IMO. I had to rig up a piece of aluminum flat bar.. zip tie the rear to this bar to be able to drive over 50mph without this thing flapping like crazy.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I know about the internal black flaps that go into your soundbar that keep the flapping down. if you look on the top of the sun bonnet on each side near the roll bar will be a set of 4 tiny slits in the top held on with velcro. kinda weird.

This thing from Mopar is really made by covercraft... highly overpriced IMO. I had to rig up a piece of aluminum flat bar.. zip tie the rear to this bar to be able to drive over 50mph without this thing flapping like crazy.
Ah, gotcha. I don't know what those are for.

I haven't been happy with the bonnet for those same reasons.

lukem80

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Jeep Gladiator Anyone tried the Mopar Sun Bonnet 82215620? 1C6249CF-5381-4370-B5F9-3980F2E8AD8A

got no idea what to do with this but it lines up on a screw....

HydroRubi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thesonsoflibertyband.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Gladiator Rubicon, Indian Spingfield
Occupation
Musician, Producer