Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who is gonna pay for all that 🤔. Who is going to produce all that extra electric ? 🤔
That's like asking who is going to drill all those new oil wells.

Its simple. The electric companies will. And they will do it gladly because it will facilitate the sale of more electricity.

Again, one of the joys of capitalism is that the market responds to demand without any governmental intervention.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The same people that pay for the roads and sewers and water and schools and bridges and wars and satellites and highways and subways and fiber optic cables and Medicade and Medicare and farm subsidies and blah blah blah blah.

Our power bill went up $50 per month when we got a model 3. Then our power bill went down $150 when we got solar panels.

So every home that gets solar clears room on the grid for 3 more Evs. I know that’s very general napkin math but every home should have solar anyway (if it’s efficiency score warrants). Ours will pay for itself in 5 years then we’re in profit.

I didn’t join this forum to talk about evs. I’m trying to decide between 35s or 37s and bronze vs black rims for my new gladiator!

Mods please nuke this thread it almost political!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No.

It's not like the roads. It's not something Government provides. It's something that private enterprise provides. They make huge infrastructure investments based on anticipated demand and then profit from those investments.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help sellers get multiple offer for their car in as little as one business day.
I just did the math. A base Model 3 with the tax credit comes to $32k. Pretty cool.

p.s. If energy policy was being made by people who understood science and engineering rather than politics, we'd be making power with Nuclear and HydroElectric.
$32K isn't bad at all... Of course, making the switch to EV is not everyone's preference so that's okay, but if you are thinking about it already, this EV tax credit is so helpful.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help sellers get multiple offer for their car in as little as one business day.
$4000 is nice, but hardly a reason to buy an EV. If I were to want to buy one, I would certainly take advantage of the tax credit.
You make a good point. I don't think $4000 would make many people switch, but if that was already the plan, it certainly doesn't hurt.

Sponsored

Brutusx00

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator sport
Occupation
Contractor
No.

It's not like the roads. It's not something Government provides. It's something that private enterprise provides. They make huge infrastructure investments based on anticipated demand and then profit from those investments.
Great, even less for people to complain about.

I just looked it up and you are correct,

DTJB

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
1. No
2. We are not ready for EV (infrastructure blah blah blah)
3. I made a living working on industrial electric vehicles and material handling equipment- when they break the repair bills will destroy the average person and their funds.
4. I’ve seen a ridiculous amount of EV’s on the hook on the interstate, they’ve become common place (either on the shoulder or on a truck, ironically burning fuel to haul its sorry butt somewhere)
5. Is electricity really all that green? Depends on where yours comes from… are we just footing our carbon footprint to the next guy down the line?

Lastly, after my years in the field repairing similar equipment you could not give me an EV… even if you paid me a dollar amount on top of it each month unless it was enough to buy a fueled vehicle and plant flowers in the EV

I will say the electric equipment I’ve worked on does have its place, and works very well in some situations, but it is not near as versatile as a gas/diesel/LP

yeah I know it’s not the place for my opinion, they’re like butt holes though, everyone has one and we all think each others stink:asshat:

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
That's like asking who is going to drill all those new oil wells.

Its simple. The electric companies will. And they will do it gladly because it will facilitate the sale of more electricity.

Again, one of the joys of capitalism is that the market responds to demand without any governmental intervention.
I highly doubt it very highly .
You will pay I will pay . The cost of electric will go through the roof. More pollution to power plant , more nuclear power plants . Yet another ignorant stupid plan by tree huggers .

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I highly doubt it very highly .
You will pay I will pay . The cost of electric will go through the roof. More pollution to power plant , more nuclear power plants . Yet another ignorant stupid plan by tree huggers .
I guess you don't understand how capitalism works.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Well one of the main selling points for EVs was cheaper operation outside of the original buy in cost........well that lie was debunked in 4th QTR of 2022.

I'll pay less for gas and not have to wait in line to charge or charge.

Here's 3 sources......there are plenty more!

https://jalopnik.com/driving-100-miles-in-an-ev-is-now-more-expensive-than-i-1850031874

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy...uel-gas-powered-cars-end-2022-consulting-firm

https://www.andersoneconomicgroup.com/cars-gas-powered-cheaper-to-fuel-than-electric-in-late-2022/

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No.

Thank you for the sanity. You beat me to it.
Now in SOME cases there are government incentives - for example, MidAmerican Energy used fed tax incentives to start their wind power project. Once it got started, it took off and now they are running with it. Call it "seed money" but it was really an incentive - tax break, not real cash.

When 1,000 new homes are built in an area, who pays? The electric company - although how they fund it may vary. Maybe there will be rate increases because of their increased expenses. (that happens, their costs of the infrastructure and need for more generating power means they contact, at least here, the Iowa Utilities Board, and get permissions for a rate change.

Here, MidAmerican is putting in some charging stations at host businesses. The host decided how much to charge, the electric company builds in the infrastructure.

Granted, the huge 2022 bill that was passed includes a ton of money to build a network of charging stations so in a way, in that case, "we" pay for it. But it will benefit us all in the future, if not sooner.

Well one of the main selling points for EVs was cheaper operation outside of the original buy in cost........well that lie was debunked in 4th QTR of 2022.

I'll pay less for gas and not have to wait in line to charge or charge.

Here's 3 sources......there are plenty more!

https://jalopnik.com/driving-100-miles-in-an-ev-is-now-more-expensive-than-i-1850031874

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy...uel-gas-powered-cars-end-2022-consulting-firm

https://www.andersoneconomicgroup.com/cars-gas-powered-cheaper-to-fuel-than-electric-in-late-2022/
That's true for that time period. At some point, though, it will flip again. Plus, electricity is cheap here so it's still cheaper for us personally where we are.
It's like a lot of things, count on it to flip back and forth with time.
So if one looks only at the "now", then correct. But look to later, it will change.
EVs will get cheaper, more efficient, there's incentives for charging and chargers (you can get a 30% tax credit for putting in solar panels to charge your EV)
So if I decide to put in solar power, or even wind, my electric costs will drop again, property values will increase, there's tax incentives (some of them last for the next 10 years).

It's going to be interesting, for sure. But I've done the math, and for us, the PHEV is a win "fuel-wise" as we can charge it so very cheaply here. And with our driving, it will run mostly electric much of the time.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
@ShadowsPapa for the time being and will only get worse as more EVs are added to the grid. Do you think the utility companies are expanding their infrastructure at the same pace as the demand increases???

I can discuss in great length in regards to my experience with working at ARCYBER and USSCYBERCOM. Dealt with the Army Corps of Engineers daily.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa for the time being and will only get worse as more EVs are added to the grid. Do you think the utility companies are expanding their infrastructure at the same pace as the demand increases???

I can discuss in great length in regards to my experience with working at ARCYBER and USSCYBERCOM. Dealt with the Army Corps of Engineers daily.
Not a problem in some states.
We're one of them. We generate 57-58% of our electricity by wind, they say the total by "renewables" is 59% because they are expanding wind and solar here. We have sold excess power to other states for about 15 years.
We also have some of the lowest rates in the country.
I know and understand that some places will really suffer, some already are, some will be ok for a while, some for not very long, and some for a long time.
We'll be fine. Our electric company is very forward thinking and has been looking to the future for a long time.
They installed devices to cycle home AC in peak use and give credit for allowing that device at your home - and I think they've used it once in the last 10 years. I can't recall the last time we noticed the AC being cycled by them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hawkeye state is the largest producer of renewable energy, with 59.5% of its power generated by homegrown renewable energy sources. Being number one in the nation for the state's share of electricity generated by renewables, we capitalize on this achievement by continuing to modernize Iowa’s transmission grid. Bolstering transmission infrastructure will increase resiliency during severe storms. A stronger grid can also carry energy farther during peak loads and create efficiency to ensure electric consumers can access the lowest-cost energy available. The cost of transmission investments will be returned to customers in lower-cost energy and operational savings.

Iowa can be proud of its energy independence. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), Iowa has generated more energy each year than the state has consumed since 2008. This means the excess power is exported and sold to other states through the regional grid while creating energy cost benefits for Iowa’s electric customers — Iowa reaps the benefits of renewable energy while also helping out our neighboring states. Upgrading and expanding transmission not only strengthens Iowa's ability to keep the lights on, it also provides an opportunity to sell our excess power to neighboring states when they aren’t producing enough to meet their needs.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

PS - I agree with you in basics, I guess I'm suggesting it's going to be hit and miss. Some states already have a problem, others soon will. They know who they are LOL.

So did you help the Army Corps of Engineers make that cool cat calendar?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.