Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
In the description for my panels:
  • Bypass diodes minimize power drop caused by shade and ensure excellent performance in low-light environments
I'm assuming that's good news!
Sounds good.
Sponsored

phreak480

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubi
Occupation
U.S. Army
In the description for my panels:
  • Bypass diodes minimize power drop caused by shade and ensure excellent performance in low-light environments
I'm assuming that's good news!

Yes as long as when a few cells are shaded you still have a high enough output voltage for the controller to charge. That is the other variable in the equation.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes as long as when a few cells are shaded you still have a high enough output voltage for the controller to charge. That is the other variable in the equation.
I'll have to run some worst-case tests to see how it functions. If the results aren't satisfactory, I may need to transition to a top-of-rack mount. I have some ideas for that as well, so I may be able to make that work anyway. We'll see how it goes.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'll have to run some worst-case tests to see how it functions. If the results aren't satisfactory, I may need to transition to a top-of-rack mount. I have some ideas for that as well, so I may be able to make that work anyway. We'll see how it goes.
I sure hope it works; otherwise, I will have to tell you that you should have consulted with me before executing your great idea that I really like.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I sure hope it works; otherwise, I will have to tell you that you should have consulted with me before executing your great idea that I really like.
Haha, if I had known there were some subject matter experts floating around here, honestly I would have!

I'm still super happy with how it turned out, but I definitely will be making some adjustments (panel reinforcement and aerodynamics).

Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Haha, if I had known there were some subject matter experts floating around here, honestly I would have!

I'm still super happy with how it turned out, but I definitely will be making some adjustments (panel reinforcement and aerodynamics).
Woooah, I never professed to being an SME. Any SME I ever met; I intentionally set-out to prove them wrong or at least question their knowledge. It's in my nature...make people better than they really are or think they can be.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I implemented some improvements to the solar system. Spoiler alert: No more sagging/flex!

I still haven't gotten around to plugging it up and doing testing in the shade of the rack, so that is something that I need to do. It's supposed to be pretty nice tomorrow, so I may grab my cables before heading in to work so that I can do some tests in the parking lot while I'm working. Once I route the MC4 cables from the roof in to the bed and actually have everything hooked up nicely, I'll probably put together a walkaround video of the entire setup, from the panels, to the input, to the charge controller, to the battery. I think it's a pretty unique setup, so maybe someone would appreciate it!

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
New video up!

I had been considering going the sliding bed route for some time, and after my shakedown trip, having to climb over my fridge in to the very back of the bed to access things numerous times, kind of drove the point home. I came across the Cargo Glide (1000-5842) for a pretty good price and pulled the trigger. It's their base model, with about 70% extension and a 1000 pound capacity. Quite pleased so far. Check out the video if interested!

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Side note: My next update will probably be a complete walkaround of the build as it sits right now. I have one more thing to accomplish before I want to do that, which is drilling out the racks, and installing/wiring up all of my marker lights for the roof racks. I've added a LOT since doing my last build walkaround video back in August. Look for that in probably the next 2-3 weeks or so.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
New video up!

I had been considering going the sliding bed route for some time, and after my shakedown trip, having to climb over my fridge in to the very back of the bed to access things numerous times, kind of drove the point home. I came across the Cargo Glide (1000-5842) for a pretty good price and pulled the trigger. It's their base model, with about 70% extension and a 1000 pound capacity. Quite pleased so far. Check out the video if interested!
Interested how you will manage the cord from the fridge so that is doesn't get it the way when extending/retracting.
Build is looking great

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Interested how you will manage the cord from the fridge so that is doesn't get it the way when extending/retracting.
Build is looking great
Thanks!

I'll use one or two black zip ties to control the slack, either to the sides of the slide or to the molle panels. Nothing fancy.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
New project; new video!

Just a small one. I got around to installing the clearance/running lights on the roof rack. That's the last electrical project that I had in the works for now!

I'll probably get out and do some filming for an all-around build update later this week. Keep an eye out if interested!

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

New video is up! If you're interested in a pretty in depth walkaround of just about everything that I've done to date, check it out!
Great job and great video!

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I wanted to ask: how much height to measure to the top of your mounted tent (in the stowed position)? I’m wondering if that setup would fit in my garage.

Thanks!
Sponsored