First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Looks like it was a great trip. Now that you have some good (offroad) mileage under your belt, do you have any regrets going with 35's vice 37's. Also, how high is your ICON lift?
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it was a great trip. Now that you have some good (offroad) mileage under your belt, do you have any regrets going with 35's vice 37's. Also, how high is your ICON lift?
Considering the compromises I'd have to make to go to 37s, I'd say I don't have any regrets. 35s are great for how I use my vehicle. They were more than adequate for this trip. Would I love 37s, and do I like the off road function and the aesthetics? Absolutely. I just don't know if the tradeoffs (regearing, less friendly on road, higher center of gravity, cost, etc) are worth it to me right now. Now, whether or not that remains true will have to wait until I take some more trips that have a bit more technical terrain involved. For right now though, I'm perfectly happy with them.

I'm not running a lift. The suspension is all stock. I may have miscommunicated somewhere in a previous post--I would eventually like an ICON lift. If/when I do go that route, it'll be a 2.5".

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Thats a sweet truck. Iā€™d put an AEV dual sport lift or a Mojave take-off kit on that sucker and call it done-skiā€™s.

nice build.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Considering the compromises I'd have to make to go to 37s, I'd say I don't have any regrets. 35s are great for how I use my vehicle. They were more than adequate for this trip. Would I love 37s, and do I like the off road function and the aesthetics? Absolutely. I just don't know if the tradeoffs (regearing, less friendly on road, higher center of gravity, cost, etc) are worth it to me right now. Now, whether or not that remains true will have to wait until I take some more trips that have a bit more technical terrain involved. For right now though, I'm perfectly happy with them.

I'm not running a lift. The suspension is all stock. I may have miscommunicated somewhere in a previous post--I would eventually like an ICON lift. If/when I do go that route, it'll be a 2.5".
Let me make this clear; I am not questioning your judgement. What criteria does the ICON lift scratch in your build that the AEV lift does not?

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

BTW, hoping your weren't adversely affected by the recent bombing. We're praying for Nashville's speedy recovery.

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
It's a RAM mount, not an official Garmin accessory. This is the one that I used:

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA75LU

It's very solid. The magnet on the back of the Overlander is probably enough honestly, but the cradle gives me a bit extra peace of mind for off road.
With this cradle, do you just mount it and leave it? I just purchased one on Black Friday and like the idea of easy removal with the magnetic mount, but am figuring out how I will secure from theft.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Let me make this clear; I am not questioning your judgement. What criteria does the ICON lift scratch in your build that the AEV lift does not?
No worries at all. Sorry if I came off as defensive, as that wasn't the intent.

To be honest, I haven't much researched the plethora of lifts that are out there for this platform. I've never had a vehicle with this much aftermarket before. I ran ICON lifts on my last two vehicles and they performed very well, and their kit for the JT seems to include pretty much everything I'd ever need. I like keeping components consistent too so that they're guaranteed to work together. I'm not at all opposed to AEV, but I just haven't dug in to it yet.

BTW, hoping your weren't adversely affected by the recent bombing. We're praying for Nashville's speedy recovery.
I appreciate it. I live just a bit west, so no direct impacts here, but I have spent a lot of time in that area, so it was a little surreal.

With this cradle, do you just mount it and leave it? I just purchased one on Black Friday and like the idea of easy removal with the magnetic mount, but am figuring out how I will secure from theft.
Yup, I do. The primary reason I got it was for mounting stability while off road, with theft deterrence as a secondary reason. Then, the first time I went naked, I realized all someone had to do was loosen the RAM mount clamp, so it essentially does nothing for theft prevention in my specific application. If I'm naked, I remove it and drop it in my locked center console.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My first ever trip log is complete! Feel free to give it a watch and let me know what you think, either here or on YouTube.

Very impressed with this being your "first." You obviously gained allot of experience with the various video options available to you...incorporation of UAV/drone footage was premier. Enjoyed fireside footage the most. BTW...you don't need to tell us, you just got up...it's pretty obvious...ha! TAT is one of my objectives.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Very impressed with this being your "first." You obviously gained allot of experience with the various video options available to you...incorporation of UAV/drone footage was premier. Enjoyed fireside footage the most. BTW...you don't need to tell us, you just got up...it's pretty obvious...ha! TAT is one of my objectives.
Lol! Fair point. Having just woken up, I wasn't really in a great state of mind so I was doomed to fail there I suppose haha.

Thanks for the feedback! This video is actually my first in-depth editing attempt in general, while also being my first ever "story-driven" type of video/filming experience. This trip had easily over 10 times the footage of any previous editing endeavor. Not only are they kind of fun, but I'm leveraging these personal projects going forward as learning opportunities for an eventual aerial photography / videography business that I'm trying to get off of the ground (pun intended).

I highly recommend the TAT. Any part of it that you can get to. Each state that I've done has had its own flair. It's always a great time.

Thanks for checking it out!

Sponsored

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Very nice video. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician

I have heard about the TAT and now seeing a portion of it looks to be an interesting goal.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I have heard about the TAT and now seeing a portion of it looks to be an interesting goal.
For sure. I hope you enjoyed it.

The TAT is great. It's not super strenuous or technical, and is fairly easily accessible. It's just an awesome trail to get out on and experience some of what each state has to offer.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Great video! Love the chill vibe with no ego or trying to be a ā€œcharacterā€. Iā€™ve subscribed to your channel and look forward to more in the future.

Might I suggest a small chainsaw, though? They do come in super handy if a tree has fallen across a trail and make quick work of making firewood. šŸ™ƒ

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
My first ever trip log is complete! Feel free to give it a watch and let me know what you think, either here or on YouTube.

Really good video. Appreciate you taking the time to share this with us along with your build.
Sponsored