TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to ask: how much height to measure to the top of your mounted tent (in the stowed position)? I’m wondering if that setup would fit in my garage.

Thanks!
I measured it for someone a while back but can't recall where I posted the number. I'm unable to get my hands on the Jeep for a while because I'm out of town for work. I *believe* it was right around 8 ft though. Plus or minus an inch or two.
Sponsored

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I measured it for someone a while back but can't recall where I posted the number. I'm unable to get my hands on the Jeep for a while because I'm out of town for work. I *believe* it was right around 8 ft though. Plus or minus an inch or two.
Thanks! My garage entry is limited at 81” so I may have issues.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Additions to the build have been slow lately since just about everything that I have wanted to do is wrapped up. Ares has come a long way! I did make a recent purchase that'll go towards the camping setup though that I'm pretty excited for: An awning!

I wanted something that would provide good coverage, but I wasn't crazy about the idea of having a huge, honking thing hanging off of the side of the Jeep creating even more drag than I already have: Enter the 23Zero 180 R awning. It's a stubby 60" stowed awning that will fit perfectly on the *rear* of my 56" wide rear roof rack, which should create minimal drag when carried behind my rooftop tent. Better yet, it's a 180 degree freestanding awning, so it'll create a large, 14ft wide weather-resistant shady patch over the tailgate so that I can access the bed, or continue cooking off of my tailgate even if it is raining. I'll be installing it on a set of Frontrunner quick-release mounts, similar to how my rooftop tent is mounted. I can't wait to put this thing to use this summer.

(NOT MY TRUCK OR PICTURE, but the setup will be similar.)

Jeep Gladiator Ares - Build Thread download

Aside from minor adjustments or additions here and there, my list of mods is winding down. As of right now, all that I have left is (in no particular order):

-Rear winch installation and wiring
-Suspension, currently leaning towards a minimal lift off of Synergy 1"/2" springs, and a set of Falcon 3.3s.
-American Adventure Lab Hi-Line Fender Kit
-Underbelly skids (maybe, I'm already pushing it on weight, and I don't really crawl)

That's really it. Again, I'm sure I'll find another couple of small things here or there, but the Jeep will have more or less reached its final form ones the above are completed. Any thoughts or suggestions? Criticism? Let me know!

Thanks to all of you that have been following along! I hope you've enjoyed the journey so far.

pendragonz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks to all of you that have been following along! I hope you've enjoyed the journey so far.
Hey man, I've been following your build on Youtube, and just found you here. I have enjoyed watching your updates, and my ideas for my build are very similar to yours. I'll definitely keep following what you are doing!

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey man, I've been following your build on Youtube, and just found you here. I have enjoyed watching your updates, and my ideas for my build are very similar to yours. I'll definitely keep following what you are doing!
Sweet! Thanks for checking out the channel and the build thread!

Sponsored

LancGladiatorGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
Occupation
LEO
A huge addition to the build showed up yesterday: My RSI Smartcap! Check out the video below for a walkaround and my impressions.

Assembly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Having said that, it still took about 3 hours from start to finish, then another 30 minutes to figure out how to lift this beast up on to my bed. I have a bunch of pictures from the installation, and may edit this post as a sort of "guide" or step-by-step at a later time, but honestly the instructions were very detailed and helpful, so it's kind of dummy-proof. To make a long story short though: It showed up as one shipment, in two separate boxes. One box contained 5 smaller boxes: The hardware kit, the left wall, the right wall, the front flange and the rear flange. The other box contained the roof panel, in which the other 4 components snap in to and/or bolt on to. It is essentially a large, very expensive, very heavy lego set.

This piece of kit was critical to my build though, and it's now creeping up to "completion" (is it ever really complete though?). The main things that I have left to do now are mount Frontrunner racks up top, install the satellite lighting and wire everything up. After that, I'm (my definition of) expedition ready.

Bottom line on the RSI Smartcap: Absolutely blown away. It exceeded my every expectation. Time will tell how it holds up. I expect it will be just fine, considered it is made out of steel.
Any thought on going with the EVOA or did you want the windows?

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Any thought on going with the EVOA or did you want the windows?
I would have much preferred the EVOa, but when I pre-ordered my cap, RSI said they had no plans of releasing any other models. The EVOa wasn't even on the horizon. I would have loved to have saved $500, and gotten the molle, but I still have no regrets.

N83

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Fellow Howler! Not sure how surprised I am to have read through all 10 pages and not see anyone commenting on your decal. I’ve been contemplating Red Rising names for my build, as well. First I was considering Ragnar, but the wife want to hot about it, lol. Now considering Trigg since mine is gray.

Anyway, awesome build/journey. I’ve really enjoyed it.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Fellow Howler! Not sure how surprised I am to have read through all 10 pages and not see anyone commenting on your decal. I’ve been contemplating Red Rising names for my build, as well. First I was considering Ragnar, but the wife want to hot about it, lol. Now considering Trigg since mine is gray.

Anyway, awesome build/journey. I’ve really enjoyed it.
Bloodydamn! Always good to meet another Howler. Even though Ares was a gold, I settled on it for my red Jeep. Also carries the whole god of war vibe, so it works haha. I think yours is only the second comment I've ever gotten on the decal.

I had a gray Grand Cherokee prior to this that I planned on naming Trigg, but I settled on the name of a Grey Warden from the Dragon Age series haha. Big video game fan as well.

Appreciate the kind words! The build itself is *just* about done. Now I just need to find the time to enjoy it. I'm hoping to have another trip log or two up by the end of the year.

Reactions: N83
OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

It's been a long time, but a new video is up! Feel free to check it out, and drop a like or subscribe if that's your kind of thing!

Sponsored

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Quick question - are your front runner racks the same width? The one they sell for the RSI Smartcap is listed as 1345mm (53") and the extreme cab rack is listed as 1425mm (56"). It's only 1.5" on either side, so it may not really be noticeable- just curious.
Also- did you have to do anything to align the height or did it work out?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question - are your front runner racks the same width? The one they sell for the RSI Smartcap is listed as 1345mm (53") and the extreme cab rack is listed as 1425mm (56"). It's only 1.5" on either side, so it may not really be noticeable- just curious.
Also- did you have to do anything to align the height or did it work out?
Incredibly late on this response...I apologize for that. The notification slipped by me and I haven't checked this thread in a while.

My rocks are the same width, yes. I purchased a universal 1425mm wide rack (I had the cap long before Frontrunner released a dedicated RSI kit) and basically just figured out the mounting system on my own. It's essentially the same as what Frontrunner provides in their current kit.

No big issues with height. I'd say they are within an inch of each other, with the rack over the cap being slightly shorter. I'm usually pretty particular about that stuff, but I hardly even notice.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to stop by with an update: I have quite a few black friday purchases (mostly accessories, but possibly one major purchase that has been a long time coming...) on the way. Look forward to some updates here, and a couple install videos/reviews on the YouTube channel! In the meantime, feel free to check out the channel with my existing content below, if so inclined.

https://youtube.com/@elevateexpeditions

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Will be good to see yah back on YouTube.
Appreciate it! I'm always wanting to take more trips and make more videos...but you know how life can get. I'm going to try to make it a point next year to take more time to do the things that I enjoy. We'll see how it goes!
Sponsored