Sponsored

Armor Review - ACE Engineering, Rusty’s Offroad, and Next Venture skids and sliders (video)

Ridgeline

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Intellectual Property Attorney
Friends, after scraping my way across a double black diamond trail in Arizona I did a review of the armor I have installed on my truck. Topics of discussion include:

ACE Engineering sliders
Rusty’s Offroad sliders
Rusty’s Offroad skids
Next Venture skids

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!:like:

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Nice! No one was expecting Die Hard, then? Great after action report!

I have the Rusty's skids and had to edit them some, but they work well. I skipped the front bolt, as well, seemed unnecessary to hog out the hole to fit.

Also picked up the Rock Hard kit.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...t-on-lower-control-arm-skid-plates-front-rear

I like the ACE sliders a lot. They are also great steps and good protection for the doors in parking lots!

I went with Metal Cloak for the front and rear diff skids but WOW those Next Venture units look super solid.

To save significant weight, and having no plans to grind over rocks, the Asfir engine & case plates in Al seemed the way to go.
https://www.asfir.com/engine-skid-plate-541155.html
https://www.asfir.com/transfer-case-skid-plate-547465.html
I understand there is a forum discount for @ASFIR 4x4 but I don't recollect what the code is.

Finally, literally finally, have you looked at rear hitch protection? I went cheap and simple but there are some fancy options available.
Jeep Gladiator Armor Review - ACE Engineering, Rusty’s Offroad, and Next Venture skids and sliders (video) PXL_20201130_222159044 - Copy

OP
OP
Ridgeline

Ridgeline

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

I have the Rusty's skids and had to edit them some, but they work well. I skipped the front bolt, as well, seemed unnecessary to hog out the hole to fit.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...t-on-lower-control-arm-skid-plates-front-rear

I like the ACE sliders a lot. They are also great steps and good protection for the doors in parking lots!

I went with Metal Cloak for the front and rear diff skids but WOW those Next Venture units look super solid.

To save significant weight, and having no plans to grind over rocks, the Asfir engine & case plates in Al seemed the way to go.
I understand there is a forum discount for @ASFIR 4x4 but I don't recollect what the code is.

Finally, literally finally, have you looked at rear hitch protection? I went cheap and simple but there are some fancy options available.
Jeep Gladiator Armor Review - ACE Engineering, Rusty’s Offroad, and Next Venture skids and sliders (video) PXL_20201130_222159044 - Copy
I don’t think any of us was expecting Die Hard, but we stuck together and dragged each other through it.:LOL:

I will look into those Rock Hard skids, for sure! I don’t believe I hit any of those points this time out, but it only takes one rock to break something.

I am looking at armor plates for under the frame itself. Currently leaning towards Motobilt, but also considering the Asfir plates.

Funny you should mention the hitch. I had ordered the Warfab Sheridan hitch skid, and it was supposed to arrive the day before I left, but was “lost” in the mail. Still haven’t received it. :(

Sponsored

Someguy2006LJ

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Dodge Ram 2500

brianinca, did you make the rear hitch skid or did you buy? If bought, can you share where I can purchase?

Thanks!

Someguy2006LJ

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Ridgeline,

Great video! I am also putting on a lot of skids on my Gladiator. I am going to 35" tires, but not sure if I will be doing any lift.

I went with Quadratec engine skids instead if Asfir because Quadratec has additional crossmember brace that I believe Asfir removes (or uses factory crossmember). But I have manual transmission, and it doesn't come with that crossmember from factory.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I bought a $10 2" drop hitch from Harbor Freight (now $15 because of trailer madness). I work with a bunch of very smart and talented folks, some of whom even like me. I asked one of the shop bosses to cut the tongue off, flip it and the tube and weld it back on. He put one of our best welders on the task, said welder doesn't talk much but he does good work.

I doubt a welding shop would charge more than $25 for the task, at least around here. I got the idea from a Taco driver, sure wasn't mine originally!

brianinca, did you make the rear hitch skid or did you buy? If bought, can you share where I can purchase?

Thanks!

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think any of us was expecting Die Hard, but we stuck together and dragged each other through it.:LOL:

I will look into those Rock Hard skids, for sure! I don’t believe I hit any of those points this time out, but it only takes one rock to break something.

I am looking at armor plates for under the frame itself. Currently leaning towards Motobilt, but also considering the Asfir plates.

Funny you should mention the hitch. I had ordered the Warfab Sheridan hitch skid, and it was supposed to arrive the day before I left, but was “lost” in the mail. Still haven’t received it. :(
I gave my motobilt belly skid system a workout in Hungry Valley yesterday (editing vid for upload ). so far i like them, however they are heavy 240lbs. but i like the fact they go from frame rail to frame rail.

OP
OP
Ridgeline

Ridgeline

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I went with Quadratec engine skids instead if Asfir because Quadratec has additional crossmember brace that I believe Asfir removes (or uses factory crossmember). But I have manual transmission, and it doesn't come with that crossmember from factory.
I have been looking into their system, as well. My understanding, thus far, is that crossmember comprises the largest component of the additional weight of their system. I am stilll open to all options, and weighing the "pros" (strength) and "cons" (weight) of each system.

I gave my motobilt belly skid system a workout in Hungry Valley yesterday (editing vid for upload ). so far i like them, however they are heavy 240lbs. but i like the fact they go from frame rail to frame rail.
I cannot wait to see that video! While I do think the extra weight is excessive (it weighs more than I do!), it is down low and would serve to stabilize the rig off-camber. I agree that the rail-to-rail protection is desirable... But I would hate to discover that my (pending) lift and larger tires would do better to protect the frame. Of course, the larger tires have their own additional weight factor, as would the lift.
Sponsored