First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Project Manager
My 2021 Gladiator has just over 500 miles on it, and I purchased it brand new in December 2021. Since day one it's had this odd issue where after 15-20 minutes of radio usage the speakers develop this crackling / popping sound. The best way to describe it is that it sounds like an old CD that has too many scratches.
This issue occurs regardless of what audio source I’m using, and once it starts it stays around for about 10 minutes, then seems to disappear. Same timing almost every time I run the car and play music (happened at least 10 times in a row).

I’ve tried three different cables in every port in the car and two different phones and the issue persists. So I believe the possibility of the phone or cable causing the issue has been ruled out. My iphone also has the newest ios. Does not seem like a car hardware problem either due to the consistency and timing of the issue. Is there any kind of software reset or update that can be done on the jeep?

I have played around with the audio settings in the car, reset all settings to default, and made it forget my phone via bluetooth in case there was some kind of interference there, no luck.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
My first instinct is to think it’s a short somewhere audio wise that’s causing the sound issue when a system in the vehicle is being run that shuts off after a period of time. Something like the Auto setting for Climate that changes depending on the interior temp by altering or stopping a current draw.

Using a meter on the speaker wires during an incident might tell you if there’s a change in current. If it’s all the speakers, the head unit might be faulty and the dealership can try a swap or have more insight into causes.

It’s not unheard of that a wire got snagged or damaged during the build or came from a supplier that way either.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
You maybe have a bad head unit. There may be a way to prove it to the techs. Popping like that isn't a cable issue, sounds like the head unit is overheating and clipping. Does it do this with radio too or just input?

First, pop it into accessory and confirm it does this in ACC mode.

Then offer it to the techs to listen to with their phones in the bay on ACC for 15, 20 minutes, whatever it takes.

If it does it on their phones too you should be good for them to dig in.

Also, have you tried this on different audio sources? Spotify, iTunes, downloaded songs?

OP
OP

Estonion

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Project Manager
My first instinct is to think it’s a short somewhere audio wise that’s causing the sound issue when a system in the vehicle is being run that shuts off after a period of time. Something like the Auto setting for Climate that changes depending on the interior temp by altering or stopping a current draw.

Using a meter on the speaker wires during an incident might tell you if there’s a change in current. If it’s all the speakers, the head unit might be faulty and the dealership can try a swap or have more insight into causes.

It’s not unheard of that a wire got snagged or damaged during the build or came from a supplier that way either.
I’ll definitely use a meter to check thank you for the reply

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
You maybe have a bad head unit. There may be a way to prove it to the techs. Popping like that isn't a cable issue, sounds like the head unit is overheating and clipping. Does it do this with radio too or just input?

First, pop it into accessory and confirm it does this in ACC mode.

Then offer it to the techs to listen to with their phones in the bay on ACC for 15, 20 minutes, whatever it takes.

If it does it on their phones too you should be good for them to dig in.

Also, have you tried this on different audio sources? Spotify, iTunes, downloaded songs?
I recently had this crackling sound when my wife plugged her phone in and used iTunes to play some music. It doesn’t occur when listening to FM, AM, or SXM. Seemed like the crackling came from the front dash speakers. Anyone else observe this?

Sponsored

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Willys Sport (sold), '22 JT Willys Sport
Occupation
Teacher
I recently had this crackling sound when my wife plugged her phone in and used iTunes to play some music. It doesn’t occur when listening to FM, AM, or SXM. Seemed like the crackling came from the front dash speakers. Anyone else observe this?
My 2020 JL would do this on occasion (like every couple of months). It was a short burst of crackling and it would reset the radio clock. It happened so rarely that I never got it checked out.

OP
OP

Estonion

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm still having the issue. After multiple calls with Jeep and uconnect support, I hit a dead end when a customer service rep mentioned a uconnect update that was supposed to be released "late spring 2022". I have yet to see any update come through. If I don't see a change in the next month, I am going to try contacting support again.

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Project Manager
My 2021 Gladiator has just over 500 miles on it, and I purchased it brand new in December 2021. Since day one it's had this odd issue where after 15-20 minutes of radio usage the speakers develop this crackling / popping sound. The best way to describe it is that it sounds like an old CD that has too many scratches.
This issue occurs regardless of what audio source I’m using, and once it starts it stays around for about 10 minutes, then seems to disappear. Same timing almost every time I run the car and play music (happened at least 10 times in a row).

I’ve tried three different cables in every port in the car and two different phones and the issue persists. So I believe the possibility of the phone or cable causing the issue has been ruled out. My iphone also has the newest ios. Does not seem like a car hardware problem either due to the consistency and timing of the issue. Is there any kind of software reset or update that can be done on the jeep?

I have played around with the audio settings in the car, reset all settings to default, and made it forget my phone via bluetooth in case there was some kind of interference there, no luck.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You are absolutely not alone. I have Been complaining about this for 2 years and it’s been posted on the thread multiple times. It is not the head unit sunless they have like a mill bad ones. It’s not the usb port, I have changed them all out. It’s not a software update I have had them all updated. What I have eluded to is that it’s some sort of a sage mode. It’s only car play…which leads me to believe the digital to analog converter is overheating or over powered to quickly and causing the low vol level and popping. It’s the only thing that makes since. I have tested 2 different units in both my gladiator and my wife’s wrangler. It is def the 7” unit. Jeep won’t do anything about it. Been to the dealership 2 times over it and the opened new cases both times. Seems as though they just simply don’t care. Either way I have found that an iPod with out car play works fine and also XM radio, radio and Bluetooth do not cause the issue. Which also points to the safe mode theory…in addition to the noise most of the time it also kills the steering wheel controls as well. So anyways don’t feel alone…Jeep make a great vehicle but the electronics suck.
Sponsored