B&M Racing Shifter and Transfer Shifter Installed

Jeffg

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Finally got the B&M Racing short throw shifter and transfer shifters installed on my manual '20 Gladiator Rubicon. They are really great. Both are so MUCH better than the stock ones, both in feel and actions. The sport shifter is 18% shorter throws. The ball is a bit light, but feels much better than the oddly shaped stock. The transfer shifter makes going in and out of 4wd a pleasure, really a must around me, out in Colorado, where I go in and out of 4wd a lot in winter.

I hardily recommend this mod to every manual Gladiator. Really must have, great improvements!

IMG_20210212_130731421.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeffg

Jeffg

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
same height on the shifter or did it shorten the stick too?
I believe sports shifter is indeed lower than stock, likely contributing to the shorter throws. It's also much smoother than stock too. (The transfer shifter is, of course, higher. They end up both being similar height. )

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
interesting. look good in your truck. Do you find you're having to reach more? Right now I don't have to lean to shift but I do enjoy a smooth mechanical shifter

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
interesting. look good in your truck. Do you find you're having to reach more? Right now I don't have to lean to shift but I do enjoy a smooth mechanical shifter
I don't necessarily feel like I'm having to reach for it. If I do, it's not noticeable. What is noticeable is the better shifting. I enjoy it quite a bit more, crazy what a simple upgraded interface device will do for your driving experience. Was it cheap? No, and I don't regret it at all.

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
@Jeffg thanks for the info. Can you or someone explain - does this shifter improve the linkage? As in does it change the way the shifter interacts with the cables to the transmission? Or does the shorter lever retain the stock geometry but somehow the shorter lever feels more direct? I get that the tall transfer case lever helps with... leverage but a shorter gear shift lever seems like it would increase effort and make changes more difficult because everything would be "closer" together... said another way is your new shifter the equivalent of cutting down the length of the factory shifter? Just curious - not judging or critical. Thanks for the info - I have been looking at this already - especially the T case lever...

OP
OP
Jeffg

Jeffg

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
@Jeffg thanks for the info. Can you or someone explain - does this shifter improve the linkage? As in does it change the way the shifter interacts with the cables to the transmission? Or does the shorter lever retain the stock geometry but somehow the shorter lever feels more direct? I get that the tall transfer case lever helps with... leverage but a shorter gear shift lever seems like it would increase effort and make changes more difficult because everything would be "closer" together... said another way is your new shifter the equivalent of cutting down the length of the factory shifter? Just curious - not judging or critical. Thanks for the info - I have been looking at this already - especially the T case lever...
It attaches to the same cables. However it feels like a different trans. Maybe it's the aluminum pivot point. The throws are not just shorter, but much smoother. It's made by Holley.
https://www.holley.com/products/dri...l_shifters/precision_sportshifter/parts/45197

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
That is really cool! That price for the transmission shifter doesn't seem unreasonable at all. That looks like a normal internal linkage shifter, so I'm curious what that pivoting external link is for. I put a Hurst shifter on my old Ranger's Mazda 5 spd. Internal linkage. I was so mad I didn't do it as soon as I bought the truck, such a great improvement. Neat the option is there for JL's and JT's now!

Hmmmmmm, if I sell my YJ that's a downpayment on a 2 dr JLR manual.........

OP
OP
Jeffg

Jeffg

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Nope not all. Seems excellently placed.