Badland Apex Winch

Rottie

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP GLADIATOR / JEEP WRANGLER JL
No not yet. I will be getting it in the next week or so. I am still deciding on the bumper, but I will be getting that winch soon. Going back and forth between two different bumpers right now. I'll post up as soon as I have it in hand with a video and pictures. Wanted to have it in the bumper already when I install everything.
..quite curious as I'd like to go with the Apex myself... my local HF shop has it in stock but the price is 599 ...how can I get a coupon ?
Sponsored

Dovi82

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S (STOCK) 2014 Jeep JK (NOT STOCK)
Occupation
Wouldn't you like to know.
Harbor freight is hit or miss, their Hercules saw IS AMAZING but other things suck. I heard their new winch is VERY GOOD. The reviews have been very good and those doing the reviews have been very impressed. Personally I have a smittybuilt X2O so I am not biased

Rottie

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP GLADIATOR / JEEP WRANGLER JL
Harbor freight is hit or miss, their Hercules saw IS AMAZING but other things suck. I heard their new winch is VERY GOOD. The reviews have been very good and those doing the reviews have been very impressed. Personally I have a smittybuilt X2O so I am not biased
...just need to understand if there's a way I can get it for a little less as it looks like if you can get a "coupon" you could get it for 499....which is 100 bucks less than what I found ..

Dovi82

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S (STOCK) 2014 Jeep JK (NOT STOCK)
Occupation
Wouldn't you like to know.
...just need to understand if there's a way I can get it for a little less as it looks like if you can get a "coupon" you could get it for 499....which is 100 bucks less than what I found ..
Yea so I just looked and if you get the 25% off ones it would be less than $499 and after reading the fine print I do not see where badland or Apex winches are excluded.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I can't speak for or against the Apex, but I can say that I'm totally impressed with the Smittybilt XRC Gen3 I recently installed. Only one small pull on it so far though. It's just really well made, with great documentation, and great installation hardware/wiring. And nice features like the automatic rope drum light and load sensor/indicator. It was $550 at 4WP, and at that time, they were including a Factor 55 clone at no added cost.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

..quite curious as I'd like to go with the Apex myself... my local HF shop has it in stock but the price is 599 ...how can I get a coupon ?
I don't think you can use a 25% off on it but you can use the 20% one. You can either get it on the website and have it shipped or go to the store. I'm store it's $515 and shipped online it's $521. Here's the coupon code

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2019/08/20-off-any-single-item-at-harbor-freight/

Jabakkarabbit

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
OK, I'm waiting for Black Friday for the HF 12k winch. But I'm a Jeep newb and need help here. I understand I would need a separate winch plate. Are these standard to fit a Gladiator?

And as far as bumpers go, will the Harbor Freight winch fit inside of an after-market bumper or will it be sitting on top? If I could get a combo of steel bumper/winch plate/brush bar then this would fit my Black Friday shopping spree for sure.

Any suggestions would help.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I'm waiting for Black Friday for the HF 12k winch. But I'm a Jeep newb and need help here. I understand I would need a separate winch plate. Are these standard to fit a Gladiator?

And as far as bumpers go, will the Harbor Freight winch fit inside of an after-market bumper or will it be sitting on top? If I could get a combo of steel bumper/winch plate/brush bar then this would fit my Black Friday shopping spree for sure.

Any suggestions would help.
Best to find a bumper that's got a winch plate built in, which most of them do. I have the rugged ridge spartan high clearance bumper on mine and it has the bar and winch plate on it. Only thing I'll tell you is the Badlands apex isn't going to be on sale on black Friday, just the Badlands ZXR for like $110 off. If you find it on sale then I suggest getting it now instead of waiting until black Friday. Maybe get the bumper then. Here's a picture of my bumper, winch combo

Jeep Gladiator Badland Apex Winch PXL_20201022_101225057.NIGHT~2

Jeep Gladiator Badland Apex Winch PXL_20201022_101110975.PORTRAIT

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I have the SmittyBilt XRC Gen 2 bumper with the HF Badlands 12,000 lb winch (not the Apex)...I've used it to winch several UTV's and a mini truck up onto a trailer. I know not the load/weight of my JT, but it pulled fine. I had an older Badlands on my JKR and it had no issues. I did replace the cable with synthetic line and aluminum fairlead on this new one. But I think I got the winch for under $300 on sale and got the synthetic line on Amazon (100') for under $100. Most people will never use their winch in my experience unless you don't know what you are doing on the trails or you actually go to the edge of your vehicle's capabilities (nothing wrong with the latter, that's why we have the winch)...but for me, spending $800 on something that will rarely get used and having good experiences with the cheaper brand, I went with Badlands. I stand by a lot of my HF purchases including Predator motors that I have and have used in the past.

Sponsored

Jabakkarabbit

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So the HF winches are exactly the same, only one is steel and the other synthetic? If that is what you are saying, it would be well worth switching out the steel cable.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
So the HF winches are exactly the same, only one is steel and the other synthetic? If that is what you are saying, it would be well worth switching out the steel cable.
I don't think they are the same. The Apex has different specs...HF does a good job doing a side by side comparison of their "higher end" items with their name brand competitors. I think the Apex was designed to compete with the nicer Warn winches...I by no means am a winch expert though.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I don't think they are the same. The Apex has different specs...HF does a good job doing a side by side comparison of their "higher end" items with their name brand competitors. I think the Apex was designed to compete with the nicer Warn winches...I by no means am a winch expert though.
It looks like they compare it to a warn, but it actually directly competes with the x20 gen2. Im debating between both and so far, im liking the better warranty and extra 20' of line on the smittybilt. But if apex can be had for cheaper.... its a toss up.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
I'll give my quick opinion for what it's worth. I've been using the same badlands winch for about 5yrs now. Been on two different rigs, changed from steel to synthetic, ran over and broke the wired remote so now it's wireless, broke the engage lever, I've winched myself and others, and that winch is still ticking. It just won't quit. So even if it broke tomorrow, it's been worth it. my two cents!

Tennessee Traveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT / Gladiator Rubicon
Jeeperjamie - after my own research, I ordered the Apex with $50 off of regular price - $499. Agree with your statement - abused, non-maintained equipment of any kind can result in lowered or unintended outcomes. I believe this is a great price for a powerful winch, wireless or wired remote and synthetic cable. My 2021 JT came with the factory steel bumper. I want to use this bumper as opposed to one of the stubby versions. I don't plan on crawling on rocks but trail rides - yes. My question for this forum:
What winch plate would you recommend to install on the JT factory steel bumper to hold this Apex 12k winch?
Sponsored