Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
BCM is like $250. They're assholes - charging you $750 labor to fix something that probably isn't broken.

https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...hdG9yJnk9MjAyMSZ0PW1vamF2ZSZlPTMtNmwtdjYtZ2Fz
While the last 4 words and the 5th and 6th words are true - you realize where the BCM is at, and that it isn't plug and play, correct? You don't plug in a new one and start the truck and drive away.
They'd have to sync up security, download the configuration of the truck (based on the VIN) and flash the config into the truck. At about $175/hour for labor, they may not be far off. A bit high, but accessing it, installation, syncing the security and communications, then flashing it (and following the instructions for that to a T meaning battery charging, keeping voltage between certain points and so on)
Yeah, they likely fit your description, but the price likely isn't too far off.
And remember, the price is 380., not the 250 you say.
You are looking at the online discount price.
No dealership sells parts for that price through their shop.

So, $1,000 - $380 for the BCM = $620 labor.
$620 / $175 per hour = 3.5,
they are leaving 3.5 hours. That's reasonable.

What's NOT reasonable is that they are refusing to actually diagnose something they broke and are trying to recover their screwup loss.

I would indeed take it up the ladder, and let them know you'll pull no punches, hold nothing back because all it takes is time, and some postage to get to district.
Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
How's the dealership situation where you live? Is there a "friendly" dealer within a reasonable distance you can hit up for a second opinion? (assuming you don't want to check the plug out yourself first?)

OP
OP
Cheyenne32

Cheyenne32

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Auto worker

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How's the dealership situation where you live? Is there a "friendly" dealer within a reasonable distance you can hit up for a second opinion? (assuming you don't want to check the plug out yourself first?)
I have two schools of thought on that............
I'd have another dealer look at it -
but
It's the responsibility of the dealer that did the other work to fix their screw-up and pay for it.
If things worked fine before it was worked on for the fender, before the door was taken off, then it must work after. Make THEM fix it and pay for it (in more ways than one if they resist)
I'd be very tempted if it was my truck to look at it - but then I would not want to give any excuse for them to say "it was fine before you took it apart" and I don't care for bent pins that are simply straightened back up. Once bent, it's never the same.
They'd owe me - even though I'm more than capable of fixing electric things and could do it, I'm tired of cleaning up the crap others leave.

I'd be torn - but would likely make them fix it even though it would be more work due to the back and forth arguing and trips.
It's the principal of the thing on one side.
So one has to decide - run on principal, not let them get away with being total idiots, or fix it and be done with it, (and in my case, forever remembering that they screwed me)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
they want 590 for the module and like 600 labor. I work for Chrysler so I get 100 ooff The mod. Whoppy.
$600 labor isn't unreasonable - not compared to the rates at some shops here.
But that's not the point, IMO.
It worked before it was touched for the other work, it should work now. If it doesn't, then they broke it.

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
they want 590 for the module and like 600 labor. I work for Chrysler so I get 100 ooff The mod. Whoppy.
BCM isn't close to 590. That's a lot of markup over List Price!!!

• MSRP:$380.00
  • Discount:$124.64 (32.8% off)
  • Sale Price:$255.36

OP
OP
Cheyenne32

Cheyenne32

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Auto worker
While the last 4 words and the 5th and 6th words are true - you realize where the BCM is at, and that it isn't plug and play, correct? You don't plug in a new one and start the truck and drive away.
They'd have to sync up security, download the configuration of the truck (based on the VIN) and flash the config into the truck. At about $175/hour for labor, they may not be far off. A bit high, but accessing it, installation, syncing the security and communications, then flashing it (and following the instructions for that to a T meaning battery charging, keeping voltage between certain points and so on)
Yeah, they likely fit your description, but the price likely isn't too far off.
And remember, the price is 380., not the 250 you say.
You are looking at the online discount price.
No dealership sells parts for that price through their shop.

So, $1,000 - $380 for the BCM = $620 labor.
$620 / $175 per hour = 3.5,
they are leaving 3.5 hours. That's reasonable.

What's NOT reasonable is that they are refusing to actually diagnose something they broke and are trying to recover their screwup loss.

I would indeed take it up the ladder, and let them know you'll pull no punches, hold nothing back because all it takes is time, and some postage to get to district.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BCM isn't close to 590. That's a lot of markup over List Price!!!

• MSRP:$380.00
  • Discount:$124.64 (32.8% off)
  • Sale Price:$255.36
My point is that when you have a dealer install parts, or even go to the dealership and buy them, you don't get the discount. There's no 328% off unless you buy from one of the on-line outfits, mail order.
You go in and have a repair done that's not in warranty, there's no way they are going to give you a 1/3 off discount. Ain't gonna happen.
So the 380 is a whole lot closer to reality in shop repairs.
We used to have people go buy parts and bring them in expecting us to install them because they realized the shop price was higher than if you went and ordered something.
Sorry, do you take your own EGGS to a restaurant and expect them to cook them and serve you breakfast? And that's exactly what the boss told people. You pay one price at a parts store, another if you have a shop supply and install the part, and even less if you buy it online - but don't buy a part then take it and expect it to be installed at a dealership or for that matter, most independent parts, if they also sell parts.

Try taking your own burgers in and have BK cook them up for you - cheaper.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
My point is that when you have a dealer install parts, or even go to the dealership and buy them, you don't get the discount. There's no 328% off unless you buy from one of the on-line outfits, mail order.
You go in and have a repair done that's not in warranty, there's no way they are going to give you a 1/3 off discount. Ain't gonna happen.
So the 380 is a whole lot closer to reality in shop repairs.
We used to have people go buy parts and bring them in expecting us to install them because they realized the shop price was higher than if you went and ordered something.
Sorry, do you take your own EGGS to a restaurant and expect them to cook them and serve you breakfast? And that's exactly what the boss told people. You pay one price at a parts store, another if you have a shop supply and install the part, and even less if you buy it online - but don't buy a part then take it and expect it to be installed at a dealership or for that matter, most independent parts, if they also sell parts.

Try taking your own burgers in and have BK cook them up for you - cheaper.
They priced the module at 590 though.....parts only....

JTRDistraction

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Utility Substation Electrician
If there is a remote start issue because it says the door is open, you could disconnect the door connector carefully and see if you can remote start it afterwards to rule it out? If it starts, then it could be a misaligned/bent pin(do a good visual check to see if everything looks clean and clear).

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They priced the module at 590 though.....parts only....
Yeah, but she has a 2020 - the module for hers is more expensive than the one you looked up.
For a 2020 it's 384 instead of 380 😁

They are just trying to screw her around any way you look at it - up, down, left right, it's just wrong.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
OP, you've already said "they straightened the pins in the connector" so they screwed up the connector taking it off. It's on THEM for breaking the connector and they're trying to stiff you on an unrelated and probably unbroken part.

Time to get pissy with them and tell them to fix what they broke. Get the Service Manager AND General Manager involved. Point out the person that told you they had to fix the pins in the connector.

BTW, if the BCM is fried, why does the driver side door work and not the one they screwed up?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, what he said.

OP
OP
Cheyenne32

Cheyenne32

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Auto worker
Update…. I went and talked with them last night along with my good friend who pretty much runs the whole dealership.. they have guaranteed me that if they replace it and its not the problem then they will not charge me a red sent. Plus fix what is wrong for free. Due to their body work. He had a nice little discussion with them…… informing them that the business I bring into this place is far more than what this issue is. I have purchased the part myself outside of the dealership, OEM part for 200 less then they wanted, They will also reimburse me this as well. I told him I would be sending an email to their Reginal Manager of the Dealerships in the East Coast. You see I am the team lead here at the Mopar facility that supplies 350 some dealers with their parts. I have the emails and pull to send out many emails to many people need be. I also pull in a lot of business for this dealership, just with in the last month they have sold 5 vehicles due to me and my discounts, My husband is buying a new challenger and we can go elsewhere.
Now the next step is watching to make sure they don’t change something else without my knowledge and say it was the BCM and charge me. Time to get out the nail polish and do some painting on the wiring harnesses lol.