Bed bar, made it myself

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I figured it looks better than just buying a 2x4 and cutting it down.

1 treated 2x4
1 can Matte black Rustoleum spray-on
1 can Krylon gloss protectant
Gladiator stickers
1 package felt liners

I cut the 2x4 down to the correct size, then sanded the edge that I cut on only. I wanted the wood to look a little rough and I did not sand the entire 2x4. I then painted the entire board matte black, putting several coats on the entire 2x4. Then, I added the Gladiator stickers, I ordered these from Custom Sticker Shop, they offered 3 sizes and I chose the 2.5 inch x 24 inch wide sticker. The smaller one would go perfectly as hood decals and I'm considering doing this. Anyway, after applying the stickers, I sprayed it down with the gloss protectant to make the stickers adhere better to the wood, then I put the felt liners on with wood glue.

Jeep Gladiator Bed bar, made it myself 20210608_140434

Jeep Gladiator Bed bar, made it myself 20210608_140439
Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Looks good but I found a 2x8 is much more useful in keeping stuff from sliding fore and aft. I’ve had tubs that were taller actually top up and over a 3.5” tall 2x4, I may even add a few eye bolts to mine so I can actually bungee stuff to the divider to hold it in place side to side.

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
Looks good but I found a 2x8 is much more useful in keeping stuff from sliding fore and aft. I’ve had tubs that were taller actually top up and over a 3.5” tall 2x4, I may even add a few eye bolts to mine so I can actually bungee stuff to the divider to hold it in place side to side.
That's a good idea, being able to use it as a bungee stop would be nothing but good. And, who knows, maybe I'll make one that's bigger if I run across the need.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
What is the "correct" piece(s) to be in the 4X8 sheet mode? I've seen two 2X4's stacked and also what appears to be a 2X6 but might have been a 2X8 I wasn't paying close attention. Although a 2X6 or two 2X4's stacked would both probably work fine for hauling 4X8 sheets, witch one gives the flattest surface? That would be the bed bar height to make, just more versatile when you need to haul a 4X8 sheet. I like @FLUndertaker idea of eye bolts, can't have too many places to lash on to that's for sure.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Willys 2021
Occupation
RN
I figured it looks better than just buying a 2x4 and cutting it down.

1 treated 2x4
1 can Matte black Rustoleum spray-on
1 can Krylon gloss protectant
Gladiator stickers
1 package felt liners

I cut the 2x4 down to the correct size, then sanded the edge that I cut on only. I wanted the wood to look a little rough and I did not sand the entire 2x4. I then painted the entire board matte black, putting several coats on the entire 2x4. Then, I added the Gladiator stickers, I ordered these from Custom Sticker Shop, they offered 3 sizes and I chose the 2.5 inch x 24 inch wide sticker. The smaller one would go perfectly as hood decals and I'm considering doing this. Anyway, after applying the stickers, I sprayed it down with the gloss protectant to make the stickers adhere better to the wood, then I put the felt liners on with wood glue.

are The felt liners doing a good job holding it in place ? Or did you make the wood perfect length to squeeze tightly in there

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
are The felt liners doing a good job holding it in place ? Or did you make the wood perfect length to squeeze tightly in there
The felt is fairly thin, it was a snug fit before using it but the felt makes it just about perfect. No movement at all once I push it down into place.
Sponsored