Sponsored

Bed Cover / Cap / Canpoy for JT Scrambler?

waitin_on_a_JL

First Name
Blaien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus LX570
Hi all,

Patiently waiting for the debut of the JL and JT, but had a thought and wanted to pick the forum's collective brain. I really like the enclosed cargo space of an SUV, aka JL, but the utilitarian nature of a bed is always a 'nice to have.' It's been decided that I will be getting the JL w/ the diesel, but here's my thought:

Do you think LEER or other aftermarket bed cover/campershell provider will make an all-in-one solution for the JT? Essentially an 'extended' JL hardtop that would cover both the cab and bed of the JT?

This would effectively create a closed in cabin over the cab and bed, making it an extra-long JL?

I understand that there's a camp that will say, 'If you want a JL, just get a JL.' but I think a JT with the bed topper described would be even more versatile of a vehicle.

If this is possible it may persuade me to hold off until the JT rolls off the lines.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I think the aftermarket is going to be all over the JT. They would be stupid not to. Any company like LEER making truck caps should be licking their paws to get into the JEEP market which is bigger than most of their markets combined Im sure.

If they don't someone else will because there will be demand out there. Not only to keep enclose/secure larger cargo but also gives you the ability to add extended roof racks in the rear...

OP
OP

waitin_on_a_JL

First Name
Blaien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus LX570
And I should have initially mentioned a jeep-specific top manufacturer like Bestop. I really think it would be the best of both worlds.

OP
OP

waitin_on_a_JL

First Name
Blaien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus LX570
I have zero doubt that someone will make a full size top going from windshield to tailgate. It would be huge for overlanding.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Cover / Cap / Canpoy for JT Scrambler? {filename}
Ask and you shall receive, thanks Vegas_Sirk. This is exactly what I pictured. The third row is a great thought too. I initially thought of it due to some browsing of the 'bed-style' rv toppers, which the JT would allow a huge loft over the cabin of the truck.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea my photoshop skills need work, but at least it provides a general idea. The best part is you could take it off and have a pick up again for hauling landscaping material, or wood for projects around the house. I'm also excited to see some utility beds on it like this:

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
I have zero doubt that someone will make a full size top going from windshield to tailgate. It would be huge for overlanding.

Heck I could even see someone adding 3rd row seating.
it looks a bit reminisent of the old toyota fj55 but would make a great tourer you could load up & leave home for months at a time how cool

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
This is exactly what I am looking for. I would put a 2 draw gun vault in the bottom of the bed and a nice mattress on top of that and be on the road for weeks at a time.

Yellowstone here I come.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea Im thinking something like this but in 4 doors:

:handsinair:

Sponsored

Pyro515

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
The problem with this idea is that, I believe, the JT's bed will be independently mounted like a typical truck. Not a full uni-body like the Honda Ridgeline. I think it will be impossible to have a hard top span the full length because the bed might twist differently then the cab.

Neat idea though, if it is possible.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with this idea is that, I believe, the JT's bed will be independently mounted like a typical truck. Not a full uni-body like the Honda Ridgeline. I think it will be impossible to have a hard top span the full length because the bed might twist differently then the cab.

Neat idea though, if it is possible.
Thats a valid point. Never thought about that. They could still build something similar looking but maybe have it split at the bed.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't that just be a JLU? (Are we using the "U" nomenclature to designate unlimited for the JL yet?)
No because this would be a much longer then the JLU, and you would still be able to remove the top and have a pickup.

JSkaggs

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Crewmax 4x4, sold the 2007 JKU
I'm sure this will work. I have one on my Tundra, love it! The company is Softopper.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
I wonder if anyone's working on a canopy for this yet.
Sponsored