Sponsored

Will there be JT Scrambler Sport/Sahara/Rubicon? JT Trailhawk?

thebeast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK Rubicon
Do you think the JT pickup will follow the same model offerings as the Wrangler? Should it?

Or will they have a standard JT and Trailhawk version?
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I assumed it would follow the Wrangler level offerings

OP
OP

thebeast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK Rubicon
I assumed it would follow the Wrangler level offerings
Same here but I remember reading some statement about the JT not being a stripped down truck. Forget where it came from but it lead me to believe there may not be a basic "Sport" trim.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Likely there will be trim levels similar but I would be very surprised if they reused the Sahara and Rubicon as they are specifically tied to the Wrangler.

I suspect you will see other names used.

I would've expected a names like Chief, Scout, Comanche, Pioneer all of which have a history with Jeep/Willys.

Sponsored

firemedic1343

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Corvette
Likely there will be trim levels similar but I would be very surprised if they reused the Sahara and Rubicon as they are specifically tied to the Wrangler.

I suspect you will see other names used.

I would've expected a names like Chief, Scout, Comanche, Pioneer all of which have a history with Jeep/Willys.
I would be okay with any of those names.

I agree, it's possible that they will not use Sahara and Rubicon.

JTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
I would be okay with any of those names.

I agree, it's possible that they will not use Sahara and Rubicon.
I don't mind at all if they don't use Wrangler trim level names and prefer they didn't. They're not naming it the Wrangler Pickup so why give it the same trim names. Giving it unique trim level names will also give the pickup its own identity.

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Overland Diesel, 1982 CJ8 Scrambler
I'd prefer a different set of names for the uniqueness of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the Rubicon trim just because it's so well known/regarded and they already have the graphics setup.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
I'll be a Doubting Thomas on this one and think that they'll carry over the same trims from the Wrangler line, ie: Sport, Rubicon, and Sahara. Or at least the Rubicon trim name - there's just too much existing cache and brand recognition behind that name for them to try and start over with a new name for the same package on the JT. They may not have named it the "Wrangler Pickup", but I think that's basically how it'll be marketed and how everyone will think of it. I wouldn't be super surprised if the 'base' model was simply called the Gladiator though, assuming they do indeed reuse the Gladiator name.

The original CJ-8 Gladiator had some of the same trim packages that were offered on the CJ-7, namely the Renegade and Laredo editions, and the Comanche pretty much had all the same trim packages as the XJ Cherokee, so there's some historical precedent for having the same trim package names across Jeep truck and "SUV" variants. They couldn't use Renegade and Laredo again though as both of those names are already associated with non-Wrangler Jeep products now (and one of them is actually the name of the vehicle, not just a trim package).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

thebeast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK Rubicon
Like some others in here I would prefer different trim/packaging names but I understand why Jeep may want to keep it the same since it's so well known and wearing the Jeep name it has to be competent offroad too so the Rubicon label works.

I found the thread with Manley's comment:

“Anything Jeep does has to have an inherent level of capability ... that drives some extent both the positioning of the vehicle and the cost of the vehicle,” he said. “I have no desire today to do a stripped-down” Jeep pickup.

http://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/f...ngler-to-be-lighter-debut-first-half-2017.99/

Makes me question price and just how much of a "base" JT will be offered. They know there's some big pent up demand for a Jeep truck.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Like some others in here I would prefer different trim/packaging names but I understand why Jeep may want to keep it the same since it's so well known and wearing the Jeep name it has to be competent offroad too so the Rubicon label works.

I found the thread with Manley's comment:

“Anything Jeep does has to have an inherent level of capability ... that drives some extent both the positioning of the vehicle and the cost of the vehicle,” he said. “I have no desire today to do a stripped-down” Jeep pickup.

http://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/f...ngler-to-be-lighter-debut-first-half-2017.99/

Makes me question price and just how much of a "base" JT will be offered. They know there's some big pent up demand for a Jeep truck.
They will do great even without a cheap base model as its going to sell. They probably could get away with a Sahara+ trim package for the first two years and then offer a "Sport" trim level once the demand dies down in 2021.

peterjford

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW (needs restoration), 1988 Jeep YJ (needs engine), 1999 Jeep XJ (Purple Is The New Chrome), 2007 Chevrolet Suburban (Mom's kid hauler)
Vehicle Showcase
will they bring out a Rubicon without 1st running the Rubicon trail with it?
I believe they will run the Rubicon with it eventually. But even if they didn't, they could say that it is close enough to the JLU in size and drivetrain that it could run the Rubicon and therefore deserves the Rubicon trim level name.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I believe they will run the Rubicon with it eventually. But even if they didn't, they could say that it is close enough to the JLU in size and drivetrain that it could run the Rubicon and therefore deserves the Rubicon trim level name.
No, they couldn't equate the two, because everything they are doing to the JT makes it less of an off-roader vs the Wrangler, not more, so they would not get any leeway by comparing it to a JLU.

Also, since they ran a Renegade through there to prove the Trailhawk they's have to do at least that for the JT before bestowing a name with that credibility/capability attached to it. There are different forks and trail segments for different capability levels, but if it doesn't make it from end to end in some fashion then it's a fail.

If the big-ass Power Wagon and weak-ass Renegade can do it then the JT better be able to do it even symbolically, or else they need to rethink not only their naming strategy, but their marketing too.

Tango

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Sahara, 2004 Jeep TJ, 2016 F150
There is no question that it will run the Rubicon. There is no reason they shouldn't especially since the Colorado has the ZR2 and the Ranger will have the Raptor. Gotta not only keep up with the Joneses but stay a step ahead to get those hard earned dollars.
Sponsored