Bed Storage (not drawers) Options

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Hello folks... thought I'd pop in and add my 2 cents!
I was also searching for some semi-secure dry bed storage for road trip luggage, groceries, and what not, and stumbled across a pile of these light gray Hardigg (Pelican) cases. this is it spaced up with some ammo cans, but i plan on making an aluminum rack to hold it here.
Question is... ya'll think i should get a 2nd one and put them along the bed rails, opening toward the sides?

IMG_8141.JPG

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Drawers are nice - great even but IMO the Gladiator's bed is small and drawers, no matter how well designed and constructed they are (1) take up space and (2) they add weight to the vehicle.

I like the efficiency - the concept of drawers but I keep coming back to going with tote boxes/containers. I have one of these Rubbermaid Action Packer 24 gallon boxes and I may get some more. The key is finding a box with the best dimensions to fit in the bed especially using as much of the height under a bed cover (I have the factory Tonneau).

I want to see how I can best use the bed and keep the weight down. Strong & lightweight and can be removed at home and at the campsite.

Rubbermaid Action Packer 24 gallon (26" x 18.5" x 17"H) - about $40.00 each

black-gray-rubbermaid-storage-bins-rmap240000-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-24-Gal-Action-Packer-Storage-Box-RMAP240000/303191527

Of course there are other plastic box options but many of them are ultra-rugged and pricey (e.g., Pelican and others) but they're way more than is needed for most camping/overlanding storage.
Hey "sexy Dan" . . . I agree . We share a bit of Common Sense, which seems to be lacking in the Country (and City too ;)).
I went thru all the posts and it just gets getting "weirder" ? IF someone wants your stuff, it just doesn't matter what it is contained in, right ? So why give the perpetrator an expensive box too ? Sure you could bolt it down thru the bed floor or the sides I suppose, but then what have you "Done" ? Small bolt cutters gonna cut a lock and bam ! So why occupy the Gladiator's Very Limited Space with those Big (or small) Thick Boxes which then wind up giving you even LESS storage- able space ? For me, even the thin Boxes are taking up space . Even those bolt on, swing away gimmicky things . . . Space Grabbers ! For ME, it's WeatherProof SOFT SIDED "Duffle" BAGS ! + If I don't have a hard shell Lockable to hide my goods, IN the Cabin they go, under a towel or coat or something to make it look uninviting ! THIS is what I did for the 13 years I had my Dodge (RAM) 2003 1500 with A.R.E. Cap . Never got broken into . . . have to think my "planning" had something to do with that . Now I understand some folks have Kids and Pets that need to occupy the back seat at times, making my solution inconvenient . . . but the Soft Side Approach and keeping those in the BED is still better from a Volume viewpoint, as long as you have a hard lockable lid of some kind ! Those Soft tonneau's to me are CRAP ! And that's my 25cents of gibberish today (inflation has taken up the 2cents worth) . :clap: ;)

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Those are some very valid points @Lou3.6 but for me, it is not just about security, but also the ability to pack more and be organized. Soft sided bags are great, as long as the contents aren't breakable. I'd hate to pile a bunch of bags of recovery gear on top of my potato chips and cookies bag and have to pretend I am a vacuum cleaner at camp.

I like the idea of packing gear into stack-able boxes that are organized by use. Bags definitely have their place, and I'd use them in addition to the boxes (either inside the boxes or stuffed into gaps). I used to do a lot of camping out of sea kayaks and I found a combination of storage types works best to fit into oddly shaped compartments. I also hate digging through a tightly packed large bin just to find something in the bottom, so various sizes of bins and bags are a must for me.

I'm starting to think a Cargoglide XL bed slide (due to the 100% extension) with various hard shell boxes and soft-sided bags is the way to go. Fill in the area between the slide and the bedsides with either a JCR or Builtright Molle panel to hold recovery gear and keep it all hidden under a tonneau or cap. Ideally, everything would be easily removable for times when I need an empty bed.

The type of boxes used is irrelevant to me; if an inexpensive version suits my needs and is the right size, then that would be a win. I do like the idea of boxes that "lock" together when stacked though, and sometimes that means paying more for matching bins in various sizes for different uses. Plus they'd look cool stacked up in my garage until I needed them, and the vain poser in me likes that.

Everyone's needs are different, and there is no one perfect solution that will work for everyone. I love these types of threads where people share their ideas and solutions; if it works for me - great! If not, I still appreciate the thought that goes into their solutions, which may inspire me to consider something I hadn't already.

wlvrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
My 95L Roam cargo box arrived today and it's just an amazing piece of gear. Highly recommend. VERY sturdy, sealed, water drain, lockable, spring arm to keep the top open, beefy clamps... it's like the perfect storage container. It fits perfectly in the bed towards the back between the tailgate tie-downs.

I'm ordering more.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
My 95L Roam cargo box arrived today and it's just an amazing piece of gear. Highly recommend. VERY sturdy, sealed, water drain, lockable, spring arm to keep the top open, beefy clamps... it's like the perfect storage container. It fits perfectly in the bed towards the back between the tailgate tie-downs.

I'm ordering more.
Pics in bed! (The ROAM, not you).

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Also, keep an eye open on Amazon on Black Fridays. I picked up some Pelican 1650 cases for $150 ($265 normally) a few years back. This past year I got a 1510 for quite a bit off as well. The other size they offered last year did not meet my needs. You can also use www.camelcamelcamel.com to track the prices.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Those ROAM do look nice, but damn, you lose 4" of space in width and length. And why the huge lip around the opening?
That's how they've designed the product. You're right, there's a significant loss of usable space - 4" all around. And they're heavy too. But that's the nature of HD cases like these. Unless you're carrying expensive gear in custom, die cut foam, I don't understand what the attraction of these spendy, heavy cases.

The ActionPacker boxes I use cost far, far less, they're much more space efficient (almost perfect height under the tonneau), they're much lighter and still very durable.

Dainbramaged

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Rubbermaid Action Packer 24 gallon (26" x 18.5" x 17"H) - about $40.00 each

black-gray-rubbermaid-storage-bins-rmap240000-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-24-Gal-Action-Packer-Storage-Box-RMAP240000/303191527
I'd say this one is perfect. Dimensions between wheel wells is 44.5". Exterior dimensions have it where two can be positioned side by side if you jockey one 90° (26 + 18.5 = 44.5"). Height from top of my Bed Rug to the base of my OEM tonneau cover is 17".

REI has them on sale for $39.95/ea (compared to $54.99/ea on Home Depot). I've got some leftover dividend from last year, a 20% off coupon, and free shipping. I've got two of 'em heading my way for about $62 with tax. :clap:

Last edited:

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
REI has them on sale for $39.95/ea (compared to $54.99/ea on Home Depot). I've got some leftover dividend from last year, a 20% off coupon, and free shipping. I've got two of 'em heading my way for about $62 with tax. :clap:
Thanks for the heads up on REI. Between my dividends and the 20% off coupon, I have two on the way for just a little over $25