Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I recently purchased a pair of Bestop’s Granite Rock Rails and I am leaving my honest review of the product. To be fair to Bestop, they were great to work with - their customer service is awesome!

~TLDR - The rock rails look great, are awesome steps and are very sturdy. Unfortunately, the fitment is poor and I couldn’t achieve the desired fitment (symmetry is off for both sides, gaps between the pinch seam are different on both sides) which led to minor damage to my Jeep and ultimately me ret

I ordered a pair on Black Friday and they were shipped quickly, arriving at my door in about a week. The packaging was superb and no damage was found to when I opened the boxes.

Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review 60F7708C-432E-4831-A618-2D746968A321

Bestop’s instructions for the install are pretty straight forward and easy to follow; they recommend an hours time, but it took me a couple of hours as I was installing by myself. The first issue I encountered was that the brackets that mount to the rails have slots that allow for the rails to be adjusted to the front or back of the Jeep (photo below demonstrates the slot).

Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review 474198B3-6D3A-48E7-A5E4-F170E721CAF6

There isn’t a reference point to use as a guide so it’s up to you to find the best position; and there isn’t a way to adjust the rail to bracket mounts once the rail is attached to the truck. These brackets are then mounted to the frame using existing holes and the middle body mount:

Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review 3ABFADAE-4D30-4B77-A94D-E9613A720DDE

Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review 26D637FF-B91B-4ED5-9C0B-CA64D681DC77
Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review 98C77CFA-7855-44C5-8425-8014320220EA

Bestop supplies various mounting plates and a custom u-bolt that provides a way for the brackets to be securely attached. They also included an handful of metal shim plates for the brackets to be pushed away from the pinch seam. The middle mount is designed to allow for bracket to moved to/from the frame for minor adjustments. Unfortunately this is where I ran into issues. The driver’s side rear mount was flush against the frame without using any shim plates and I had ~1” gap between the pinch seam and the rail:
Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review C3DB4C27-DFD8-41A4-9681-B49566FD9435

On the passenger side I encountered the opposite issue - I used several shim plates in an attempt to push the railaway from the Jeep body w/o success. This caused the rail to eat into the side damaging the paint and body metal (barely visible in photo below).
Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review EDC33BC7-0430-4D05-A430-C42A66CD0447
The passenger frame has a bracket that prevents the front frame mount from being fully secured (this wasn’t mentioned in Bestop’s installation instructions); I suppose I could have cut the bracket off - but I chalk this up to poor design:
Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review 1E5C7CDD-DB3F-4AFF-B9AB-F93C45FFB263

Here are pictures after the initial install:
Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review 304471F1-4C38-4EB9-AF45-98FDB9FFD9E0

Jeep Gladiator Bestop Granite Rock Rails Review F059915D-37AE-4481-8D68-32472B7B7805

In an effort to resolve the fitment issues I removed and remounted the rails several times to adjust the brackets and shims w/o luck.

Overall, I think Bestop could have a quality product in their hands if they spend some time to address the issues I encountered. I really like the look, and I think that the rails are well built (ignoring the mounting issues) and would address my needs. However, I wouldn’t recommend them at this time. Of course, YMMV.
Sponsored