Black rhino Solid in Alligator green

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I've decided to finally put some new rims/tires on her after getting my money's worth out of the oem tires. I kinda like the old school aesthetic on these. Does anyone know if the alligator green color matches Jeep's Gator green? They look the same or am i mistaken

https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-road-wheels-rims-solid.php
Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I would be concerned with brake temps. There is no air getting through that wheel.
-my 2 cents

OP
OP

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I would be concerned with brake temps. There is no air getting through that wheel.
-my 2 cents
Valid point but people have been running the black rhino armory which uses a similar design for a while. No reported brake issues with those.

Sponsored

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
29 lbs. It's aluminum alloy. No rust

OP
OP

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
-my 2 cents
Everyone always brings this up but I have yet to find anyone actually having a problem with over heating or brake fade with solid wheels. Maybe if this were a high speed, frequent/aggressive braking machine it would matter. Jeeps are relatively slow compared to almost everything else, even with the same weight. Using brakes during crawling just dont produce the same heat level. I would buy the argument about not running them on the Mojave given its intended purpose.
Additionally, Jeeps are relatively elevated compared to other vehicles. There is likely more airflow behind there than we are guessing. In the year Ive had mine, cant say Ive ever noticed a change in brake performance.

These solid style wheels and there multiple variants have gained popularity over the last few years....tons of people out there with them now (field testing/real world use).....Just doesn't seem to be coming up as a problem.

One benefit I love about the wheels....No brake dust. I have to clean these things soooo much less than any other wheel I have ever owned. The amount of time saved may make me a permanent convert.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Everyone always brings this up but I have yet to find anyone actually having a problem with over heating or brake fade with solid wheels. Maybe if this were a high speed, frequent/aggressive braking machine it would matter. Jeeps are relatively slow compared to almost everything else, even with the same weight. Using brakes during crawling just dont produce the same heat level. I would buy the argument about not running them on the Mojave given its intended purpose.
Additionally, Jeeps are relatively elevated compared to other vehicles. There is likely more airflow behind there than we are guessing. In the year Ive had mine, cant say Ive ever noticed a change in brake performance.

These solid style wheels and there multiple variants have gained popularity over the last few years....tons of people out there with them now (field testing/real world use).....Just doesn't seem to be coming up as a problem.

One benefit I love about the wheels....No brake dust. I have to clean these things soooo much less than any other wheel I have ever owned. The amount of time saved may make me a permanent convert.
You ever post a pic of them? I’m also curious about the color.

OP
OP

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Those are sharp. Lot more offset than I prefer.
I agree about the offset. It was more than I actually wanted. I was looking for a more tucked in wheel...wanted it to be more army like. I went with the Black Rhinos because they already came in a matching color.
They have grown on me. After adding some Rokblok mud flaps it actually looks aggressive and like a truck. I constantly get compliments at red lights for the setup.

After my purchase I came across these (1st pic below). The pic is from another forum member. They are Fifteen52 that he had powdered (same color jeep as me.). Much better off set. Even has some small holes if your concerned about heat.

2nd pic Is from my jeep today.

Jeep Gladiator Black rhino Solid in Alligator green A8F83EDD-8F07-464B-8CBE-ABAF537479B9

Jeep Gladiator Black rhino Solid in Alligator green IMG_4836

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Gator...its the same jeep as the one with the black/half doors in the post above.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Jeep Gladiator Black rhino Solid in Alligator green 413480E6-D259-40E6-BDE7-018ECF248B6E

I have Black Rhino wheels ... no issues at al except they are heavier than my OEM wheels

Reactions: PJZ

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
edit .. my wheels are not solid... so that may make a difference...

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I see that they are not solid now. They have as much airflow as an old solid steel wheel. Not much but apparently enough. That coupled with the heat disappation qualities of aluminum and hopefully they are good.
I would only worry when you are approaching the thermal/mechanical limits. Like pulling a trailer through mountains or something more demanding than it sounds like you will put it through.
With a background in race cars and big trucks, I always worry about worst case scenario.
Sponsored