Blind spot mirror recommendations?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
That's why the backup camera is so helpful.
My kids make fun of me, but I just can't get used to the damn thing. Years of driving and owning multiple cars have me just looking other places than the center, muscle memory I guess. My car doesn't have one, and the one in my van is like 1.5 inches and off center making it almost useless except for hitching a trailer.
Sponsored

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
WAYYYY back in the day, the owners' manual that came with most cars included instructions on how to properly adjust your sideview mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Most people (due to poor driver education for many decades now) adjust their mirrors so they can see the side of their own car from a normal driving position. This results in duplicative rearview mirrors and blind spots. It's wrong. It's dangerous. Don't do it!

For your drivers' side mirror, lean your head nearly up against the window. From this position (and only this position), adjust your mirror so you can just barely see the side of your own vehicle. For the passenger side mirror, put your head about the same distance toward the center of the vehicle, and do the same. From here, get on a straight stretch of >=2 lanes, and fine tune your mirrors such that you watch a car passing you on whichever side in your (actual) rearview mirror, just as that car disappears in your rearview mirror, it should appear in your (actual) sideview mirror, then as it disappears from your sideview mirror, it should appear in your peripheral vision out the window.

You should not see your own car or anything behind you in your sideview mirrors while driving. If you do, you have an extra rear view mirror, and that's the least helpful of all the mirrors in any forward gear. It may take a little getting used to not having the side of your car visible as a reference, but you'll get used to it and have functional safety features as a result.

This poor mirror adjustment is so ubiquitous that there are actual vehicles out there these days where proper mirror adjustment is actually impossible (I saw this in a new-at-the-time Subaru once). Jeeps still allow you to properly adjust your mirrors so that there are zero blind spots without the need for any modifications.
This sounds familiar.... Like I've heard it somewhere before... 😂

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
This sounds familiar.... Like I've heard it somewhere before... 😂
Pet peeve of yours too? Fight the good fight!

Blind spot detection and all that expensive crap is being mandated (I think it already is on passenger cars) just like the backup cameras. We're all paying thousands of dollars more because people just don't know how to adjust their mirrors properly.

I guarantee everyone reading this, that the next time someone cuts you off in traffic, if you look in their SIDEview mirror from behind them in the lane, you'll see their stupid little face in the reflection, completely oblivious of the fact that they have three rearview mirrors and zero sideview mirrors.

[/oldmanyelling]

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
My kids make fun of me, but I just can't get used to the damn thing. Years of driving and owning multiple cars have me just looking other places than the center, muscle memory I guess. My car doesn't have one, and the one in my van is like 1.5 inches and off center making it almost useless except for hitching a trailer.
Agreed. We never get could get used to the back up camera on my Wife's 2018 Pilot. I did well on the one with my Tundra, now getting used to the one on the Gladitor albeit slowly.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
Pet peeve of yours too? Fight the good fight!

Blind spot detection and all that expensive crap is being mandated (I think it already is on passenger cars) just like the backup cameras. We're all paying thousands of dollars more because people just don't know how to adjust their mirrors properly.

I guarantee everyone reading this, that the next time someone cuts you off in traffic, if you look in their SIDEview mirror from behind them in the lane, you'll see their stupid little face in the reflection, completely oblivious of the fact that they have three rearview mirrors and zero sideview mirrors.

[/oldmanyelling]
It is. But it was also close to the exact post I made in this thread.

Glad to find some others that know the reality, though. And absolutely that almost no one sets them up right and has entirely too much reliance on electronic nannies.

Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
It is. But it was also close to the exact post I made in this thread.

Glad to find some others that know the reality, though. And absolutely that almost no one sets them up right and has entirely too much reliance on electronic nannies.
So you did. I read through the thread, and I distinctly remember the photo above your post, but somehow I missed it. Keep fighting the good fight! We're going to lose, and blind spot monitoring is going to be mandatory sooner than later, but fight while we can.

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have problems with the drivers side. I always set up my mirrors as described but my drivers side still has a blind spot. If I set it to where the side mirror picks up the car as it exits my rear view the car leaves my side mirror before it enters my peripheral vision. If I adjust to where as the car exits my side mirror, i can see the car in my peripheral then there is a blind spot between the rear view and the side mirror.

The side mirrors need to be an inch or two wider...

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
I just ordered the blindspot mirrors from NXTGEN Automotive https://nxtgenautomotive.com/store-5/extended-view-jeep-gladiator/

There was a thread started on these but was quickly taken down. I guess people thought it was spam or fake or something. I played the guinea pig. The company is legit and I received them in less than 2 days. They were about $25 but are pretty nice. I wanted to jump back on that thread and show the company was really but it was deleted.

20230128_070424.jpg

20230127_131152.jpg

20230127_131213.jpg

20230127_131217.jpg

20230127_131156.jpg

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
My blind spots are on the other side of the mirror. I have a blind spot that I can
t see some things in the intersection as I approach to pass through and the side mirrors hide what is to the right of me in the intersection ahead. I use the little mirrors glued to the sideviews to keep an eye on those blind spots behind me.

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My blind spots are on the other side of the mirror. I have a blind spot that I can
t see some things in the intersection as I approach to pass through and the side mirrors hide what is to the right of me in the intersection ahead. I use the little mirrors glued to the sideviews to keep an eye on those blind spots behind me.
I have them on my driver side too. Made a huge difference.

20230128_073712.jpg

20230128_073718.jpg

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I just ordered the blindspot mirrors from NXTGEN Automotive

There was a thread started on these but was quickly taken down. I guess people thought it was spam or fake or something. I played the guinea pig. The company is legit and I received them in less than 2 days. They were about $25 but are pretty nice. I wanted to jump back on that thread and show the company was really but it was deleted.
Company might be real, but the poster was a shill. He came on here claiming to be some random customer who just happened to stumble upon this awesome and overpriced product. The truth was the random poster, who made sure to tell us he had no ties to the company, actually owns the company. He grabbed someone else's Gladiator pic and claimed it was his. The admins here apparently banned him and removed his thread.
Good.
Deceptive business practices should not be rewarded with sales.

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Company might be real, but the poster was a shill. He came on here claiming to be some random customer who just happened to stumble upon this awesome and overpriced product. The truth was the random poster, who made sure to tell us he had no ties to the company, actually owns the company. He grabbed someone else's Gladiator pic and claimed it was his. The admins here apparently banned him and removed his thread.
Good.
Deceptive business practices should not be rewarded with sales.
Gotcha. I was following that thread before it was deleted. I was stupid to just jump on the ad but luckily it turned out ok. I almost tried to cancel because I couldn't even find the facebook post that was linked. I couldn't find NXTGEN auto on facebook at all.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I just ordered the blindspot mirrors from NXTGEN Automotive https://nxtgenautomotive.com/store-5/extended-view-jeep-gladiator/

Jeep Gladiator Blind spot mirror recommendations? 20230128_073718

Thanks for being the Guinea Pig. I just ordered some. They gotta be better than my cheap plastic ones.

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for being the Guinea Pig. I just ordered some. They gotta be better than my cheap plastic ones.
I like them. Overpriced for $25? Probably. Seem to be the same mirror material as the OEM glass. The company should have just been upfront in trying to represent themselves. Not be sketchy and act like a customer.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I like them. Overpriced for $25? Probably. Seem to be the same mirror material as the OEM glass. The company should have just been upfront in trying to represent themselves. Not be sketchy and act like a customer.
I agree.

$25 is a cheap safety feature cuz my eyesight isn’t getting any better. 🧐
Sponsored