Sponsored

Bought our first travel trailer! Hoping to learn some tips!

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Ford Bronco, Gladiator soon!
Hi-

We are about to enter the travel trailer game and I’m a total newbie to towing and camping in trailers so this will be quite the experience.

I have 2020 Sport with Max Tow, 2” mopar lift on 37s (ridge grapplers), with 4.88 gear and automatic. Also have the Mopar brake controller.

The trailer we purchased is a Sunset Trail 186BH. It has a 3610 lbs dry weight. Cargo load weight of 1080 lbs. Hitch weight of 390 lbs. It’s a single axle.

So far I’ve read about getting a WDH and I’m researching other newbie info. I’m curious about what other things I should be thinking of with this setup. The factory sticker shows payload around 1500 lbs for the jeep in stock configuration. I’m trying to figure out if we can be loaded up with cargo on both the trailer and the jeep and still be within limits and not have to take another vehicle. Any other tips for a newb would be greatly appreciated!! We are pretty excited to start this adventure!
Sponsored

OP
OP

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also... just noticed that the dealer must have added another sticker after the lift/tires. With the 37s, it says don’t exceed 620 lbs payload! Yikes

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
What I would recommend is finding a CAT scale close, scale your truck, full of fuel.

That gives you your real base.

Hook up, YES you need a WDH, I recommend the Anderson set up.

Scale your camper. That gives you the real numbers where you are.

Remember payload is EVERY thing; you, wife, kid, Dog, wife's purse, your tool bag. We tend to over load with stuff.

This will tell you what you have left over for all the other junk you want to bring "camping".

Side note: I always crack up at my self how much stiff I "NEED" when camping. Really ya don't need that much stuff.

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Also... just noticed that the dealer must have added another sticker after the lift/tires. With the 37s, it says don’t exceed 620 lbs payload! Yikes
620# payload? Holy crap — if it were me, I’d not be able to tow much of anything (620-250=370); considering that are so few TTs with a hitch weight that low, I’d be SOL.

OP
OP

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
620# payload? Holy crap — if it were me, I’d not be able to tow much of anything (620-250=370); considering that are so few TTs with a hitch weight that low, I’d be SOL.
Yeah.. no idea how they came up with that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I would recommend is finding a CAT scale close, scale your truck, full of fuel.

That gives you your real base.

Hook up, YES you need a WDH, I recommend the Anderson set up.

Scale your camper. That gives you the real numbers where you are.

Remember payload is EVERY thing; you, wife, kid, Dog, wife's purse, your tool bag. We tend to over load with stuff.

This will tell you what you have left over for all the other junk you want to bring "camping".

Side note: I always crack up at my self how much stiff I "NEED" when camping. Really ya don't need that much stuff.

Thanks! I had this in the cart.. just not sure I needed 4” or 8” drop

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BT3CPS...be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_title#customerReviews

I actually had the Jeep weighed before I registered it because of dumb CA DMV... anyways, it was around 4900 lbs after the lift with gas and me in it. Not sure where that 620# number came from off the sticker. The dealer installed the lift, so they were the ones that put it on there.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
With a lift and 37's maybe an 8'? You don't have to use all the 8' the ball can be adjusted. Maybe call Anderson ask them, they should have an idea. Measure your hitch height first.

Payload, I'm just assuming you're 200 pounds.

6247 is the stock Max Tow GVWR. You scaled at 4900 with you in it.

6247-4900 = 1347 you are accounted for already.

Take -469 for 10% tongue weight for worst case leaves you 878 for every thing else you want. Your trailer is not that big.

I'm not familiar with the factory 2" lift. It may very well be lightly sprung for off road ability and as you swapped out the heavy max tow springs, that may change the actual rating. If that's the case then ya you are going to be super tight on towing. That's a potential issue for lifts.

Thanks! I had this in the cart.. just not sure I needed 4” or 8” drop

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BT3CPS...be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_title#customerReviews

I actually had the Jeep weighed before I registered it because of dumb CA DMV... anyways, it was around 4900 lbs after the lift with gas and me in it. Not sure where that 620# number came from off the sticker. The dealer installed the lift, so they were the ones that put it on there.

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
I wouldn’t pull anything bigger than a side by side or a lawnmower with the gladiator I pull a Honda pioneer 1000 on a single axle trailer and it’s a load I have the gladiator rubicon and at highway speeds it will be scary also I have a 2.5 inch lift and running 37 inch tires

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t pull anything bigger than a side by side or a lawnmower with the gladiator I pull a Honda pioneer 1000 on a single axle trailer and it’s a load I have the gladiator rubicon and at highway speeds it will be scary also I have a 2.5 inch lift and running 37 inch tires
I pull my TT all over the place with my JT. I've never had any problems!

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just got this today and total weight 1300# with no sway or break needed. Having driven big trucks most my life, tow within your means esp as a newbie. Be safe, have fun. Towing a trailer should not be a chore. I have a 2” lift with 33’s And automatic. Don’t even know it’s back there.
Jeep Gladiator Bought our first travel trailer! Hoping to learn some tips! 98B480C2-1661-4A3A-AE3F-FDD4D7C96E8C

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Tongue weight on an empty trailer is meaningless. I eyballed the emtpy + payload and thought "470 lb tongue". Someone smarter named @Josh00333 did the real arithmetic, so I wasn't far wrong.

A dealer's sticker is not worth the Goof Off it costs to remove. Factory lift, factory specs, that's what matters for DOT.

The Anderson hitch is a great suggestion, at 50lbs it is 50lbs lighter than the WDH Husky Centerline we're running (with great success). With a trailer and overall payload that light, 50 lbs is likely not an issue, but the Anderson just looks like an even better solution without a lot more cost.

DO get properly weighed in, make SURE your tongue weight is 12% or more, and enjoy the heck out of your travels!
Sponsored