Sponsored

First weekend with Sport S manual transmission and 3300 lb travel trailer

Deleted member 30519

Gear shifts will be shorter and you will use need a higher gear sooner at the same speed. Right now I'm using 5th gear at 70mph. After a regear I'll be spinning higher rpms at the same speed allowing for a higher gear to be used.

Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe someone more technical can explain it better
So if it feels like 2nd is too long now with 3.73 gears and 35s it's gonna be even longer with a regear? I don't know if I could tolerate that especially with the rev hang.
Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
So if it feels like 2nd is too long now with 3.73 gears and 35s it's gonna be even longer with a regear? I don't know if I could tolerate that especially with the rev hang.
If I'm interpreting what you are saying correctly.... No, the opposite effect would happen.

The need to shift would happen sooner with 4.56 gears compared to 3.73

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
That's interesting about the Toyota. Would the trim that has that gear ratio be more comparable to a Rubicon or do they all get that?

The point I was trying to make was that the factory specd the trucks for the equipment they had not for the anticipated Jeep geek that wants to build a Sport for their specific needs.

4.56 is what I anticipate being right for me with 35s at my altitude and towing needs. Its going to be different for everyone. The awesome part is that the aftermarket supports just about any idea and you can come up with. Jeep allows you save money on a generic sport up front to spend on how you want it to be or just enjoy what it is.
The Taco comes with a manual in TRD Sport, TRD OffRoad, and TRD Pro. They’re comparable to an Overland, Willys, and Mojave, respectively. All have pretty much the same size tire. I think there would be zero fuel economy penalty for MT trucks to come with 4.30 gears, even 4.56 for 33” tire models.

Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
@Gladiator847

It can be a confusing concept but a numerically high gear ratio is considered low gearing or a low rear end. So 4.56 is considered lower gearing than 4.10.

A 4.56 gear ratio will accelerate faster than 4.10 but the 4.10 will have a higher top end speed.

Thats why people regear to accommodate bigger tires. The regear helps recoup the acceleration lost by bigger heavier tires with the caveat of loosing top end speed. Since we have jeeps, who cares about top end speed.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
@Gladiator847

It can be a confusing concept but a numerically high gear ratio is considered low gearing or a low rear end. So 4.56 is considered lower gearing than 4.10.

A 4.56 gear ratio will accelerate faster than 4.10 but the 4.10 will have a higher top end speed.

Thats why people regear to accommodate bigger tires. The regear helps recoup the acceleration lost by bigger heavier tires with the caveat of loosing top end speed. Since we have jeeps, who cares about top end speed.
The bigger the tire, the further the distance covered over the road with a single rotation. To maintain the, "Optimal," distance traveled per engine revolution, where, "Optimal," is defined as the value set by the manufacturer, you want the engine to turn faster as the tire size goes up, thus the lower gearing in the differential.
It's not uncommon for heavy trucks, with 22+ inch wheels, to have axle ratios approaching 6, or higher. That's partially because one turn of the wheel travels ~4m, as opposed to a car (or light truck) tire that travels ~2½m.
What this amounts to is trying to maintain a given engine RPM for a given speed as you vary the tire size.

Kevin

kebler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport
Occupation
Project Management
I'm in the process of buying a small TT very similar in weight. Do you know what your loaded weight is? I imagine it starts getting close to the 4,000 limit. Any recommendations on things I should do before buying a TT?
Sponsored