Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Can't buy what isn't there ;)
You can’t really buy anything right now lol. My mind is blown i’m somehow still able to order a Jeep with all the turmoil.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
The Bronco is a mid-size SUV. Just plain facts. It is not a full-size vehicle, is not treated, marketed, or advertised as full-size, and will not be considered full-size. You can disagree and argue that you don't like it because it's bigger than the Wrangler, but that doesn't mean it isn't in the same class and a direct competitor. Apples to apples my friend.
Never said i don't like it, i said it was a fat pig and that it's not actual competition for the jeep wrangler. As the other poster confirmed, too big like the FJ. If the jeep wrangler went on a fast food and donut diet for a couple years you'd get the bronco. Truth seems to be hurting some folks here lol. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle, sure would like to see that manual transmission in a true mid size option like the Ranger. Doesn't matter how they market it...it's still a full size fat piggie. ;)

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Must feel good to be so confident and wrong at the same time.

Bronco was designed with the Wrangler directly in its cross hair and they hit it out of the park.

You can argue it all you want but you're wrong. Im a day one reservation holder and love the Bronco and sat in and got to go for a test ride (they didn't let me drive) and its fantastic.

Why didn't I buy it then?

I decided for me having a truck bed and better towing capacity was important and out weighed the +s that Bronco offered.

Im not saying the Bronco is better in every facet. You're going to have compromises and sacrifices when you try to improve on certain things. Theres are always going to be people who love what they love and refuse to acknowledge when something else has merit and you seem to be blindly focus on a few very small details in the scope of the much larger whole.

The Bronco is good, very good and if you cant see that then thats your prerogative and no matter what I or anyone else says you're going to stick to that and thats fine. I can respect that.

The good news for you is it will force Jeep to raise its game because without competition Jeep didn't really have to make any big changes, just sit on their laurels. Now they will be.

And this full size mid size argument is nonsense. It's based on a Ranger chassis.
Ford doesn't seem to have a problem hitting out of the park on things, hitting the mark or target however does seem to be an issue. They haven't even come close to outdoing Jeep Wrangler at what it does. As i said, i'm sure it's a fine vehicle, so is a honda ridgeline, but it's no competition to a jeep wrangler, which is still in a class of 1. Solid front axle, and can fit down the trail. Not some out of shape IFS pretender.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Ford doesn't seem to have a problem hitting out of the park on things, hitting the mark or target however does seem to be an issue. They haven't even come close to outdoing Jeep Wrangler at what it does. As i said, i'm sure it's a fine vehicle, so is a honda ridgeline, but it's no competition to a jeep wrangler, which is still in a class of 1. Solid front axle, and can fit down the trail. Not some out of shape IFS pretender.
What do you mean "fit down the trail"? It's still narrower than a 4Runner or Tacoma and the footprint is no different than all of us running offset wheels required for our lifts.

The Bronco is fine. I don't get why so many on this forum (and the JL forum, my god) are so insecure about Jeep having real competition in the marketplace that they have to shit all over it for made-up reasons. Or, even better, the armchair quarterbacking about off-road stuff 99% of Jeeps don't do without significant upgrades most Jeeps will never see.

The Jeep will excel at the very top end off-road vs. an IFS truck and yes, we all understand that, but just how many stock Rubicons do you think run the Rubicon in a year and hell, how many JLs do you think actually see anything a stock 4Runner can't handle? I can assure you if you've been to any major city, the average JL buyer now is more worried about how clean their 20s are than how capable their Jeep is. This isn't the YJ/TJ days where buying a Jeep took sacrifice and it's 100% a lifestyle vehicle now.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
well the ram 1500 pentastar 8-spd kept me fullsize instead of midsize back in 2014, i got better mileage than my tacoma buddies and had better comfort and better tow rating with tow haul as well, so it killed the tacoma in many areas except trail and parking/city fit in garage work....until the gladiator came along i was stuck wishing i had the blend of features between that ram pentastar and the midsize segment

the bronco will park like a fullsize, it may steal sales but they are not apples to apples comparisons, the bronco is a porky pig, just like the raptor, are they trying to market the bronco as a midsize? that would be misleading if so...it's too wide, it's half ton wide
we are talking 3-6 inches more than the gladiator.
It will be interesting to really start hearing unbiased reviews ... it does seem like one constant is the size. I've also heard some criticism of the 10 spd, which I've had recent experience with their 10 spd in a 150 and I wholeheartedly agree that at times that trans seemed possessed with a mind of it's own. Not remotely as sooth as Jeeps 8 spd ... even though they are made by the same company as I understand.

I tend to approach it from the perspective of ... strip out all of Fords electronic aids and what are you left with..... another average platform.
We ordered one, and I will definitely give my unbiased review on the forum once it arrives and had some road time. It's built, and waiting on it's hard top- guess that's my lot in life since I will be taking my Rubi in next week due to it's leaking hard top. The Bronco will be my wife's daily driver, so trust me, I will hear about any and everything that is different, off, or a potential issue.

I traded in a JKU for an F150, and the F150 for the JTR and I have to say that I much prefer the 10 spd tranny in the F150. Never had an issue and that thing shifted as smooth as silk.

Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
What do you mean "fit down the trail"? It's still narrower than a 4Runner or Tacoma and the footprint is no different than all of us running offset wheels required for our lifts.

The Bronco is fine. I don't get why so many on this forum (and the JL forum, my god) are so insecure about Jeep having real competition in the marketplace that they have to shit all over it for made-up reasons. Or, even better, the armchair quarterbacking about off-road stuff 99% of Jeeps don't do without significant upgrades most Jeeps will never see.

The Jeep will excel at the very top end off-road vs. an IFS truck and yes, we all understand that, but just how many stock Rubicons do you think run the Rubicon in a year and hell, how many JLs do you think actually see anything a stock 4Runner can't handle? I can assure you if you've been to any major city, the average JL buyer now is more worried about how clean their 20s are than how capable their Jeep is. This isn't the YJ/TJ days where buying a Jeep took sacrifice and it's 100% a lifestyle vehicle now.
Nailed it!

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Never said i don't like it, i said it was a fat pig and that it's not actual competition for the jeep wrangler. As the other poster confirmed, too big like the FJ. If the jeep wrangler went on a fast food and donut diet for a couple years you'd get the bronco. Truth seems to be hurting some folks here lol. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle, sure would like to see that manual transmission in a true mid size option like the Ranger. Doesn't matter how they market it...it's still a full size fat piggie. ;)
You’re just plain WRONG on the dimensions. Look at what I posted on page 7 of this thread. If 2 inches longer and 2 inches wider are a huge deal for you… we’ll never mind.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The Bronco looks so much bigger than the Wrangler because the Wrangler passenger compartment sits inside the fenders whereas the Bronco sits above it. I went to the Bronco super show in East TN in April and it is much more roomy inside that the Wrangler but the overall dimensions aren't that different.

EXTERIORDIMENSIONS
2021 Ford Bronco2020 Jeep Wrangler
Length190.5 in188.4 in
Wheelbase116.1 in118.4 in
Width76.3 in73.8 in
Front / rear track65 / 65 in62.9 / 62.9 in
Height73.9 in74.0 in
Towing capacity3,500 pounds3,500 pounds
Payload capacity1,370 pounds1,351 pounds
Reposted for your convenience…and to disprove your argument.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Wait wait wait...are you actually saying a Ranger is a competitor to the Wrangler, but a Bronco isn't? The Ranger is mid-size, but the Bronco is full-size?
How does that logic even work for you? Sounds like you're stuck in your own echo chamber of bad information. Open yourself up to the real facts!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have to laugh a bit at all of the "full size" and "mid size" and "xxxxxxxxx size".
My 95 F250 was a BIG truck, at least in 1995.
Then I bought a HALF TON Chevy - that thing blew my F250 away in how the engine handled a heavy trailer and it was WIDER and much longer than my Ford was.
Then I think back to my 67 C20, my 70 C20 and other trucks I've had........ such a Comanche.
A standard bed was 8'. Short box was 6'
Now a standard bed is what the heck is it these days? 6'? And a LONG BOX is 8' and truck boxes vary from 5' to 5'6" to whatever they come up with for the new standard.
How wide was a CJ5? OR a CJ7, then a TJ? Was a Grand Cherokee a mid-size SUV? Nope, it wasn't even an SUV! Jeep never sold it as an SUV - it was a station wagon. Look at the titles and registrations.

How large is a family size box of cereal? It's what a large used to be and a large is now what a small box used to be and there's a new standard for the small box.

Trucks seem to do the same thing - full size today is totally different than 20 years ago. Define mid-size - exactly how long and wide is a mid-size? What year are you going by if you look it up?
Wait 5 years, the Bronco will be the same size but will then be considered some other size.
My Gladiator is a fraction of the size me 2011 Silverado was, it's more like what my F250 was - so what is it? If compared to a 95 or earlier, the JT fits the full size chart. If compared to a 2011, it's pretty small.

Definitions change, trucks change, and what's called an SUV today makes me want to laugh as my Eagle is bigger and TALLER and will clear 4 times what many "SUV"s will clear. I don't even worry about going around certain dead animals - I straddle them. But that Lexus "SUV" will see something ripped off the underside if they try that. And mine is a CAR.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Reposted for your convenience…and to disprove your argument.
2" wider track, overall width a bit over 2" wider for the Bronco - is that correct? So the Bronco has more room inside for two reasons - it's WIDER by inches AND the cabin is as wide as the vehicle's outside.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Jeep Gladiator Bronco is fullsize - no comparison Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 11.01.14 AM

6 Inches wider than a rubicon on the widest one. Flairs though are probably 4 (extra) of that 6 inches. Rubicon is also using 8.5 inches of flares though so the ford body is SIGNIFICANTLY larger even though the overall width isnt. Its not that much wider overall, but the body is huge comparatively and the grill is a big chunk so it gives the impression of being a fat boy since the grill/body are within a few inches of a tundra/f150

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
Lot of insecurity around here, wow. There’s more Ford talk than jeep talk on this jeep forum, soon as a bronco thread drops there’s 8 pages of arguing over which bear is best. Black bear. Bears, beets, battle star galactica.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
So this got me looking a bit more, its amazing what perception is all about wrangler interior dimensions:
Jeep Gladiator Bronco is fullsize - no comparison Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 11.15.55 AM

Bronco interior dimensions:
Jeep Gladiator Bronco is fullsize - no comparison Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 11.16.51 AM

Jeep Gladiator Bronco is fullsize - no comparison Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 11.16.57 AM

Almost everything is within 2 inches, but it feels so much bigger. Wonder how much of that is the bigger glass of the frameless doors, more sloped windshield and bigger ass end

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Jeep Gladiator Bronco is fullsize - no comparison Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 11.16.57 AM

6 Inches wider than a rubicon on the widest one. Flairs though are probably 4 (extra) of that 6 inches. Rubicon is also using 8.5 inches of flares though so the ford body is SIGNIFICANTLY larger even though the overall width isnt. Its not that much wider overall, but the body is huge comparatively and the grill is a big chunk so it gives the impression of being a fat boy since the grill/body are within a few inches of a tundra/f150
But... they're not? Like, they're not even as wide as a Ranger.

The total width of the Bronco includes the fenders and the front fenders are a solid 3"-4" per side on the First Edition. I just looked at one up close last night and the reason the Jeep looks narrower is because the tapered front end it has always had. The Bronco has straight fenders so it has a bigger grille.

And "the widest one" is only wider because it has standard equipment that the Rubicon wishes it had. The tires look properly massive compared to the stock JLU tires and the added width of those along with the wider wheels in the Sasquatch package are what add to the width. The body is obviously exactly the same so, as I've said at least three times in this thread, it's no different than mine or any other Jeep with a wider stance and larger tires.
Sponsored