Sponsored

Brutal Review of Ford Ranger

JeepApex

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport-S (Billet Silver)
Thought this was a pretty good review of the new Ford Ranger. I'll admit bias towards the Gladiator (of course)... however he sure seems to be generally unbiased and trashes the Ranger rather well. Figured I'd share a good laugh.

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Thought this was a pretty good review of the new Ford Ranger. I'll admit bias towards the Gladiator (of course)... however he sure seems to be generally unbiased and trashes the Ranger rather well. Figured I'd share a good laugh.

LOL yeah Savage Geese is not biased, he is a pretty good reviewer... It is just underpowered for what it is and they did a rush job in releasing it to the US market looks like. He seemed pretty dissatisfied with the combination of that engine with that transmission :CWL:

If I was in the market for a pure pickup in that midsize I would 100% choose the taco over the ranger everyday...

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I much prefer honesty instead of the canned repeated talking points from marketing department.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
SavageGeese is pretty good. I am surprised he is even invited to half the various vehicle press events as he will pull no punches and trash talk the vehicles if warranted to the manufacture rep chaperones when he test drives them.

His review and criticisms of the new Ranger is spot on. Basically points out the facts that doomed the old style Ranger and Dakota in that pricing gets up there pretty quick that makes a full size truck more enticing. You have to offer something in the mid size segment that the full size does not have or is not as enjoyable. New Ranger is recycled old global platform with tweeks to make it USA market compliant.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I just watched all his stuff on the Wrangler and Gladiator. This guy actually gets it.
90% of the complaints I've seen about the series is that it's not the same as the rest of the vanilla market. My wife's santafe is not a Jeep. And that's the freaking point

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
LOL yeah Savage Geese is not biased, he is a pretty good reviewer... It is just underpowered for what it is and they did a rush job in releasing it to the US market looks like. He seemed pretty dissatisfied with the combination of that engine with that transmission :CWL:

If I was in the market for a pure pickup in that midsize I would 100% choose the taco over the ranger everyday...
Trd OR or Pro with a stick here

Of course, the Gladiator is the C8 of the Trucklette world, the disruptor that steals everyone's thunder

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
I test drove a Ranger XLT about a week after testing a Gladiator.

Ranger XLT - $35,800 out the door price
Gladiator - $39,xxx out the door price

Now, maybe I just have low standards for vehicles, (some recent vehicles include an 07 Range Rover Sport, heavily modified '16 F150, my beloved 96 ZJ, Porsche 911, M5, etc), but I would say that I was quite happy with either one, for different reasons.

They didn't honestly feel like direct competitors, it certainly feels like the design team of the Gladiator had a lot more fun than the Ranger team. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 10spd + 4 cyl EcoBoost (loved my 2.7 Eco in the F150), whereas the V6 in the Gladiator felt more calm and smooth to drive. I think with a little money dumped into modifications (tune, intake, etc) the EcoBoost would absolutely fly.

I'm waiting for appropriately spec'd (power windows, hard top) Gladiator prices to begin dropping down closer to my max budget of $35k. If they don't drop down into that price range soon-ish I may end up buying one of the readily available $30k Rangers in my area.

I prefer the Gladiator over the Ranger as I've loved every Jeep I've ever touched, but I don't love it $8-9k more which is the price difference around here between a low optioned Gladiator vs XLT Ranger FX4.
Sponsored