Gladiator versus Ford Ranger

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I figure the biggest competitor for the JT pertaining specifically to side-line buyers in the Ranger. Those that wanted a Tacoma have had ample time to buy one as they rolled out in 2016 and in 2018 added all the safety tech and made adjustments to the driveline (biggest complaint). Like the Tacoma, the GM twins and Frontier have been out long enough for anyone who wants one to own one. The Ridgeline, well is the Ridgeline, as it is not body on frame and the body style doesn't have many fans it's sales are falling fast. That leaves the Ranger as the primary competitor for those of us waiting on the side-lines to buy or who own one of the aforementioned trucks that they are unhappy with for various reasons.

I waited several years for the Ranger and JT roll outs. Jeep actually rolled out an all new truck with the latest design innovations, capabilities, and functionality. I am quite pleased with it other than potentially the pricing (unfounded fear of mine at this point). On the other hand, Ford put lipstick on the otherwise solid T5 Global Ranger that has been out since 2011. For the NA market Ford did add a new powertrain (modified Mustang 2.3 Eco-boost design) and the latest safety tech. However, I suspect an all new Ranger will roll out in 2022 as a redesign not a refresh is due. So the folks buying the current Ranger Lariat 4x4 Crew at a premium price, 40k to 45k are going to be surprised at their depreciation costs if a redesign comes that soon. I think the Ranger Raptor will come with the redesign as well as better functioning back seat and other engine options.

IMO, the positives for the Ranger are low starting MSRP options, good ride, good fuel economy, tow ratings, cargo ratings, advanced safety, comfortable front seats, limited off-road capabilities with the FX4, extended cab with 6' bed option, and a good reliability history on a proven global Ranger platform.

IMO, the negatives are the poor back seat functionality and rear passenger room, no 6 cylinder or diesel option, dated platform with redesign due in three years and high MSRP for Crew Cab Lariat FX4 package (just under 45k). Curious what others are thinking.
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I'm only in the market because JT. If my very well founded imo but totally irrational fears about pricing stop me from buying even a sport max tow, I'll save and spend time procuring for a restomod of an old jeep truck. Either way, I'm driving a jeep pickup truck asap. The new gladiator is what I wanted all along, so any build will have elements of it.

As for what's out there, this is heaven for pickups these days. With after market, what is impossible?

OP
OP
lrtexasman

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
New Ranger owner experiencing a leaky transmission. Unfortunately, to be expected on a few early deliveries. Hopefully with the JL lessons learned, we wont have powertrain issues. I did look at a new Ranger last week and I was unable to latch the backseat, seems to be a few with this issue, and the rear passenger door would not close without force as the gasket was pinching at the bottom.

leakytrans.jpg

leaky trans2.jpg

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I am in the market over the next 6 months for a new midsize truck and the Ranger is on my list.

I had a chance for a short test drive in the new Ranger and it had nice front seats. The engine also had plenty of pep. I’m a little disappointed to learn that the Ranger will be revised in just a couple of years. It just goes to show you that the powers at Ford really don’t seem to bring their A game to the us market but instead just put some lipstick on their pig...

I don’t think it will have the off-road capabilities of the Gladiator and time will tell... I just hope the price is affordable. It would be nice to have 2 jeeps in the garage!

Last edited:

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Smlobx -- I'm assuming you also attended a Ranger Drive (the one in Houston was right before Christmas)...we had excellent Houston winter weather, but the attendance was/seemed really low to me...

Anyhow, I (along with a Ford Rep) jumped into the only XLT interior (all the trucks were 4x4) there; Wifey rode in the back seat. Now, Wifey and Ms. Ford Rep are talking the entire time I drove around the parking lot...and Wifey is asking if this XLT interior is the one "coming" with the trucks when they're available for sale, with her sarcastic tone (and believe me, after 30 years, I know this specific Wifey sarcastic tone)...She was implying that it didn't look very good...

After I got my free Ranger hat, Wifey states "...just wait for the cute Jeep truck..."

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
New Ranger owner experiencing a leaky transmission. Unfortunately, to be expected on a few early deliveries. Hopefully with the JL lessons learned, we wont have powertrain issues. I did look at a new Ranger last week and I was unable to latch the backseat, seems to be a few with this issue, and the rear passenger door would not close without force as the gasket was pinching at the bottom.

leakytrans.jpg

leaky trans2.jpg
Looks exactly like the leaks JL owners have been reporting over at that forum. It's a shame, but I guess it happens.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
B9FFC91B-836D-41A2-AAB9-C83A89315680.png
Taken from the ranger forum.
It’s a nice looking truck with 33s and a lift. The tranny issue sucks but I think they have that fixed. It’s down to 2 choices for me now.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I wonder if a Ranger redesign is in the pipeline? I know it's new here in the US, but it's been on the global market since 2011. American designers and engineers have to be working on one, right? Regardless, it's a good-looking truck.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
B9FFC91B-836D-41A2-AAB9-C83A89315680.png
Taken from the ranger forum.
It’s a nice looking truck with 33s and a lift. The tranny issue sucks but I think they have that fixed. It’s down to 2 choices for me now.
This is a nice looking truck - the lift, rims and tires help a lot. I still think the JT has a niche all to itself though and well sell well at first.

A big threat is the Colorado Bison and ZR2 and I still think the Ranger Raptor will be coming to the USA and that's a real threat to the JT. The other advantage the Ford Ranger (and the Tacoma and the Colorado and the Canyon) has is the multiple variations that you can get in bed lengths and cabs.

Sponsored

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
This is a nice looking truck - the lift, rims and tires help a lot. I still think the JT has a niche all to itself though and well sell well at first.

A big threat is the Colorado Bison and ZR2 and I still think the Ranger Raptor will be coming to the USA and that's a real threat to the JT. The other advantage the Ford Ranger (and the Tacoma and the Colorado and the Canyon) has is the multiple variations that you can get in bed lengths and cabs.
thats true

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I wonder if a Ranger redesign is in the pipeline? I know it's new here in the US, but it's been on the global market since 2011. American designers and engineers have to be working on one, right? Regardless, it's a good-looking truck.
Reputable sources say that the Bronco hits the showrooms Q1 of 2021, and the all-new Ranger will debut at roughly the same time, sharing the new platform with the Bronco. It's been said that at that point there will be a Raptor variant and a 2.7L V6 EcoBust option as well.

For that reason, it would be VERY hard for me to spend $40k on the 2019 Ranger. To make matters worse, if you actually look at the 2019 Ranger you can see how bastardized it is. They slapped things on it just to sell it in the U.S. market. The famous Ford door keypad looks like something from 1990 rather than being cleanly integrated like on other Ford vehicles, the add-on trailer brake controller looks like something from 1988 out of a Lego set, the interior looks like they dragged it out of a 2011 Ford Edge, the rear lockable storage/seats are useless compared to other models, there is no cold weather package with heated steering wheel, there is no limited slip differential option, etc. It's just an old, cheap, outdated truck being sold at 2019 prices.

No thanks.

For me, it'll be Gladiator OR the truly all-new 2021 Ranger Supercrew 4x4.

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
For me, it'll be Gladiator OR the truly all-new 2021 Ranger Supercrew 4x4.
This is where I am at as well. If there is still no word from FCA on the diesel by the time the redesigned Ranger is announced I'll very possibly go with the Ford. If the 2.7l EB rumors make it to market, then the Ranger would be a pretty amazing truck. In the F150, some year models got up to 310 horsepower and 425lb-ft of torque with just a tune.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
New Ranger?

E57841E7-140F-481B-BBE8-A188BE5B55B5.jpeg

63EBB03D-71CB-4B8A-A1DB-CBB5C40FB82C.jpeg
That seems to be the leak I suppose. I like the looks of the 2019 ranger more personally. The ranger raptor I read on multiple sites is supposed to debut 2020. Who know tho.
Sponsored