Carplay2Air review with the 8.4 Premium Audio

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
My Carplay2air adapter came in on Friday. It was an impulse purchase off the ad on the forum, and doesn't seem to be a lot of 1st hand reviews.

For the uninitiated, the Carplay2air is a usb dongle that allows you to project CarPlay onto the infotainment screen without being hardwired to a connector. I tend to forget I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and have to go fetch it, so this is a great solution...

The packaging was secure, it came in a nice box. The dongle is a little smaller than the key fob, with a 3" usb chord. I plugged it in to the center console, where it has remained out of site. The directions state to delete Uconnect from the phone's BT before pairing, and keep the wifi signal on. My phone did the initial connection without issue, and everything seems to work great. I did have an echo for a 15 second period on the phone, but the other 5 minutes was crystal clear.

I have only tested it through the weekend, but it seems to be great. The only issue of note is that it takes about 20 seconds for CarPlay to show up on the infotainment screen after start up, but that is a pretty minor issue for me, as I like to listen to the motor warm up as I buckle, etc. anyway.
Sponsored

zach471

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I've been using one in my 2018 Grand Cherokee. My system is, and has always been, really glitchy. Frequent lockups where the volume doesn't work, CarPlay doesn't seem to want to start, etc. The point I'm making is, I've got a really glitchy system and it has been from new.

That said, the Carplay2Air seems to work really well. It connects every time and works great. BUT... I get lockups on that each time I drive. System just freezes and then you have to unplug and replug in the dongle. I chalk this up to my system kind of sucking. In fact, we moved the same dongle to my wife's XC90 and she hasn't had a single freeze or drop.

The reason I give that background is because I am curious about your experience. My Gladiator is on order and I've purchased another dongle hoping that the new Jeep will be better than my old Jeep. You seeing any of those freeze issues when using CarPlay2air?

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I've been using one in my 2018 Grand Cherokee. My system is, and has always been, really glitchy. Frequent lockups where the volume doesn't work, CarPlay doesn't seem to want to start, etc. The point I'm making is, I've got a really glitchy system and it has been from new.

That said, the Carplay2Air seems to work really well. It connects every time and works great. BUT... I get lockups on that each time I drive. System just freezes and then you have to unplug and replug in the dongle. I chalk this up to my system kind of sucking. In fact, we moved the same dongle to my wife's XC90 and she hasn't had a single freeze or drop.

The reason I give that background is because I am curious about your experience. My Gladiator is on order and I've purchased another dongle hoping that the new Jeep will be better than my old Jeep. You seeing any of those freeze issues when using CarPlay2air?
Did you try updating the firmware? Mine had an IP address to go to for updates.

Honestly made me a little nervous, but I figure if the chinese want to know my whereabouts that badly, go ahead and stick somebody on the data analysis.

I have had no lag at all, surprisingly.

zach471

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I did update it. Honestly, think it's my head unit. Seeing that you've not had any trouble gives me some confidence, honestly, because like I said, it's been rock solid in my wife's car -- no issues at all.

I think more people should look into these, especially with some of the cool wireless charging solutions out there.

zach471

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Installed in the Gladiator. Here's what I noticed: in the USB port in the console (USB #2), it works, but I was getting frequent dropouts. It would lose connection and automatically reconnect pretty frequently, maybe once every couple of minutes.

In USB port #1 in the dash, it's been rock solid, no complaints.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Installed in the Gladiator. Here's what I noticed: in the USB port in the console (USB #2), it works, but I was getting frequent dropouts. It would lose connection and automatically reconnect pretty frequently, maybe once every couple of minutes.

In USB port #1 in the dash, it's been rock solid, no complaints.
Weird. Mine is in the console. Still haven’t had a single issue of dropping out, other than known weak signals in my area, but no BT issues whatsoever.

zach471

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Weird. Mine is in the console. Still haven’t had a single issue of dropping out, other than known weak signals in my area, but no BT issues whatsoever.
Jury is still out.... I will say that I was getting drop outs before a software update and a phone reboot. I’m going to move it back to the console and see where we get.

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Did you try updating the firmware? Mine had an IP address to go to for updates.

Honestly made me a little nervous, but I figure if the chinese want to know my whereabouts that badly, go ahead and stick somebody on the data analysis.

I have had no lag at all, surprisingly.
Ouch, the Chinese?

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Ouch, the Chinese?
I mean, it shipped from China, it’s clearly of Chinese origin. Downloading firmware through a direct IP on your phone is a great time to put a virus in. Not saying it’s a duck, but it definitely could grow in to a duck if so inclined...
Sponsored