Sponsored

Catalytic Converter Stolen .recommendation for a Skid Plates.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
the catalytic converter was stolen of my next door neighbor (tundra) . I have diesel 3.0 rubicon. what skid plate over for the catalytic converter do you guy recommend.
thanks you.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I like to give them a "MAC ATTACK". Squeeze the trigger once and the clip is empty. All 32, 45 round nose.

Jeep Gladiator Catalytic Converter Stolen .recommendation for a Skid Plates. Mac 10

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
From what I’ve heard these guys are using battery powered saws all’s. They cut thru most steel like a hot knife thru butter. I used to use one when I did metal work. If your going to put something under there get the hardest steel you can find. Chromium is hard and is a key ingredient in stainless steel. Use thick stainless and hopefully they will ruin their blades. If you know any blacksmiths or blade smiths they will be able to harden steel as well, remember to drill your mounting holes before you get it hardened.
You can't reach the top of the 3.6 cat with a cutting device. I was under my truck much of the day, wiring things, installing things, reaching up around the right side cat and thought - holy crap, I can't even reach up there to put in a zip tie for some wires! I had trouble getting side cutters up there to snip the ends of the ties I could get in place. They can cut near the bottom, but there's no way they are cutting a 3.6 cat off at the top end.
People need to specify which is happening to who with what engine. I'd love to see an angle grinder, even the little 4" version, get up there to the 3.6 cats.

Use thick stainless and hopefully they will ruin their blades.
I have stainless steel rods I cut with a hack saw, and turn in my lathe, cuts fine. I even recently shortened some stainless bolts with a cutting wheel in my old Dremel with burned brushes.
It's harder, but not impossible to cut through.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I remember a few months back there was a member here with a diesel who had his cat stolen.
Yeah, you ain't gonna get a cut-off saw or an angle grinder up to the tops of the 3.6 cats.
I haven't seen an instance of the GAS Gladiator having them stolen. Heck, I can't hardly get a hand up there for wiring, let alone get a tool for cutting up in there. Hope they last forever, gotta be a beaner to replace.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Metalcloak and Artec both make skids for the JT.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
I like to give them a "MAC ATTACK". Squeeze the trigger once and the clip is empty. All 32, 45 round nose.

Jeep Gladiator Catalytic Converter Stolen .recommendation for a Skid Plates. Mac 10
You guys waving the guns around all know you'll be sleeping right through the theft event! Unless of course you plan to stay awake 24/7. What you all really need is a good alarm sensor that goes off when the guys starting cutting metal. Then you might be able to do something.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
You guys waving the guns around all know you'll be sleeping right through the theft event! Unless of course you plan to stay awake 24/7. What you all really need is a good alarm sensor that goes off when the guys starting cutting metal. Then you might be able to do something.
When my alarm goes off. Everyone knows it. If you set my alarm off. You are where you will likely get carried out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When my alarm goes off. Everyone knows it. If you set my alarm off. You are where you will likely get carried out.
What's her name?
Jeep Gladiator Catalytic Converter Stolen .recommendation for a Skid Plates. 1662001434963

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
What's her name?
Jeep Gladiator Catalytic Converter Stolen .recommendation for a Skid Plates. 1662001434963
I got so many dogs in the neighborhood. It ain't even funny. If a rabbit takes the wrong path. Some dog will let it know.

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, Audi SQ5, Audi A3, Smart Roadster Brabus,
Build Thread
Link
Happy to hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong, but I don't think diesels have cats in the same way as a petrol. Diesels have some or all of an EGR, DPF, DOC and SCR. The SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) is achieved using the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) unlike the petrol Cat. I don't believe the diesel system has any valuable materials ( palladium, rhodium and platinum) in it.

So to my mind.......as long as you're sporting a diesel badge, your fine.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
So it seems the diesel does not have valuable cat converters and the 3.6 converter is too hard to get to. That's good. I thought I would still share this interesting hack a guy did in outfitting an alarm to stop people from crawling under his rig. The guy was pretty creative.
Sponsored