Shock Skid Plates

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Topping this thread, thanks for sharing the template shape @Rockabillyroy. I had the same issue with the RH skids interfering with the Falcon 3.3 plastic roost guards. All the plastic at the bottom looks fairly structural on the Falcons, so I didn't want to trim anything there. I have access to a full machine shop, so I just trimmed a clearance cut on the skid with bandsaw and grinder:
Jeep Gladiator Shock Skid Plates IMG_2910

(I kinda overdid it, didn't need to cut quite so deep. Oh well! Still seems plenty strong to me)

Same problem as others with the bolt length - lack of full engagement on the stock 10.9 M14x1.5x75mm bolts with the extra 1/2" of skid thickness. I was able to find plenty of M14 bolts in the correct 80mm (and even longer), 10.9 M14x2.0 and 8.8 M14x1.5. I picked the 8.8s in order to match thread pitch and torque, and not have to recalculate torque for the coarser 10.9 2.0 tpmm. Dumb idea - they definitely yielded well short of the factory 89 ft-lbs of torque.

So now I'm back to either recalculating for the coarse bolts, or finding proper automotive grade M14x1.5x80mm 10.9s that aren't black oxide shit. Between 1.5 and zinc and 10.9, I can't find these at the usual McMaster/Grainger/etc sources. Anyone have a good source for top quality bolts like these? (If not I'll fall back to the 2.0s, which seem to be the standard in 10.9)
Sponsored