Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone get longer shock bolts? I am interested in getting these skids but would like the peace of mind that my bolts are secured. Where would one find these longer bolts?
This is one of the reasons I went with Rancho for the shock skids. I also prefered their use of a second bolt and of course the red powder coat
Sponsored

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
I installed the Rock Hard shock skid plates a couple days ago. I bought 9/16" by 3 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock washers from True Value Hardware. I also use Loctite. I think it is worth the piece of mind to buy the longer bolts. My 2 cents!

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
I have the rockhard 4 x 4 shock skid plates as well. But I kind of screwed up when I ordered them.

I have the AEV 2ā€ lift On my Mojave and it comes with shock relocation brackets. The relocation brackets sit on the outside of the current shock mount which means they are the exact same width as the shock skid plates.

I have not been able to find any shock skid plates that would fit over the relocation brackets, so I guess Iā€™ll be looking into cutting the skid plates and a half and adding a half inch plate and welding it all back together.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
yeah I saw that. Iā€™m just questioning it. I may go hunt down a bit longer bolt just to be on the safe side.
I have the same ones. I replaced the bolt with longer ones. I didnā€™t like it. Iā€™m surprised they havenā€™t fixed this yet. I talked to RH many months ago about this.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I bought the ranchos since they were on sale and I had some gift card to use up.

Poor packaging. Box arrived perfectly intact. Didn't stop the skids from banging and nicking each other.

Also, unlike the product photos, the keys aren't filled and polished.

I'd say you get what you pay for, but not always. Hahah.

Regardless, great customer support from Quadratec.

Jeep Gladiator Shock Skid Plates Screenshot_20221216-064845_Chrome
Jeep Gladiator Shock Skid Plates 20221216_070835
Jeep Gladiator Shock Skid Plates 20221216_070953

Last edited:

rubicon4wheeler

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Safety Supervisor
anyone try these? They look similar to the ranchos with the side plates the full length and less taper to the outer edges. But importantly, a drain hole.
https://datinfab.com/jeep-gladiator-jt-shock-skids/
I haven't seen these before; they appear to be just a nicer reproduction of the Rancho ones. I had to chop a bunch of material out of my Rancho shock skids for clearance for my Icon shocks' roost guards, but that was no big deal. These from Datin would require the same mods.

I chose to get these shock skids because the lower shock mounts on my JK had really gotten wadded up over the years, and the longer wheelbase of the JT would mean I'd have even less control over rear axle placement on the trails so I knew they'd be ground up on the rocks; I chose to toss these skids on before the mounts got too damaged. The skids also mean that the axle slides over the rocks more easily, rather than becoming anchor points.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Well, that was a waste of time. These shocks don't fit the factory rubicon shock. Those side plates hit the roost.

You can see how the datin skids have scoop cut out on the side plates to accomodate the factory roost.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that was a waste of time. These shocks don't fit the factory rubicon shock. Those side plates hit the roost.

You can see how the datin skids have scoop cut out on the side plates to accomodate the factory roost.
It does not take much to trim a small amount off plastic off the shock shield that is what I ended up doing

Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
It does not take much to trim a small amount off plastic off the shock shield that is what I ended up doing
Nope. Just time. Which I'm short of these days.

Already spent time cleaning up all the bad powder coating and damage.

Tired of companies wasting my time.

I'll probably hit it with my angle grinder when I have some free time. Don't feel like dealing with a return.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I made a template. Otherwise, I'd have to remove the shock bolt, fit, cut, fit, reinstall shock bolt, paint skid, remove shock and install skid.

Here's the minimum amount required to be removed to fit the rubi shock roost.
Jeep Gladiator Shock Skid Plates 20221218_155158

Jeep Gladiator Shock Skid Plates 20221222_082528

Jeep Gladiator Shock Skid Plates 20221223_133201

Jeep Gladiator Shock Skid Plates 20221224_163607

Last edited:

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I am trying to get get shock skid plates. I have a Sport S with the 2" MOPAR lift with fox shocks that came with the kits
Can I use these rancho skids or will I have to modify them and grind down material like the guys with the rubicons and fox shocks had to do?

Or should I just order these and it sounds like they bolt up with no issues at all

Thanks
Todd

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I am trying to get get shock skid plates. I have a Sport S with the 2" MOPAR lift with fox shocks that came with the kits
Can I use these rancho skids or will I have to modify them and grind down material like the guys with the rubicons and fox shocks had to do?

Or should I just order these and it sounds like they bolt up with no issues at all

Thanks
Todd
I used Rancho shock skids on me 2020 JTR and did not modify the skid. I did take a pair of side cutters and cut about 3/4 inch of the plastic shield on the shock, so the skid would fit, no need to remove the shock for this since it was such a small amount of plastic that had to be removed from the outside edge of the shield

1-17-2021 shock skid.jpg

1-17-2021 Rancho shock skid.jpg
Sponsored