Sponsored

Ceramic Coating - How to choose an installer/product?

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Ok lots of threads on the pros/cons of ceramic coating. I have decided I want to move forward with it.

What questions should I ask the installer before I choose?

Is there a universal rating system on the various products? Say thickness? type of ceramic?

Are there top of the line brand names and budget brands for the ceramic product itself?

Can anyone educate me?
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ok lots of threads on the pros/cons of ceramic coating. I have decided I want to move forward with it.

What questions should I ask the installer before I choose?

Is there a universal rating system on the various products? Say thickness? type of ceramic?

Are there top of the line brand names and budget brands for the ceramic product itself?

Can anyone educate me?
There are numerous ceramic coatings out there, the best being the coatings offered only to the professional installers. What you really need to know is how they are going to prep your paint, this makes all the difference. Since you are new and if no scratches yet you can for go the paint correction but still need the vehicle chemically washed to remove any and all contaminets and still want the vehicle clayed before applying the coating. Hope this helps

Last edited:

Thed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 MX-5 Miata, '01 Rodeo, '96 Ranger, '17 Ducati Supersport
Paint prep/correction is arguably the most important aspect. Whatever brand you do does not mean a damn thing if the installer just slaps it on and sends you out the door. Don't let anyone touch it unless they tell you that they have to keep the car for at least 24 hours after the fact. That's about how long it takes for it to cure. You don't want a bug stuck in your paint for the next two years!

Thed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 MX-5 Miata, '01 Rodeo, '96 Ranger, '17 Ducati Supersport
There are numerous ceramic coatings out there, the best being the coatings offered only to the professional installers. What you really need to know is how they are going to prep your paint, this makes all the difference. Since you are new and if no scratches yet you can for go the paint correction but still need the vehicle chemically washed to remove any and all contaminets and still want the vehicle clayed before applying the coating. Hope this helps
Plus this.

Timdog

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JT
Just wondering, do I need paint correction if the vehicle is practically new? I put on 120 miles b4 I decided to bring it in for a ceramic coating & it’s always been garage kept since I bought it

Sponsored

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Just wondering, do I need paint correction if the vehicle is practically new? I put on 120 miles b4 I decided to bring it in for a ceramic coating & it’s always been garage kept since I bought it
Yes, you still need paint correction.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you still need paint correction.
Paint correction is not always a must. I had mine ceramic coated the first week I owned and the only thing that was needed was decontamination to remove any oils or protectants on the paint. It turned out perfect, but note if you have any light scratches or swirls in the paint then the ceramic coating will amplify these unless corrected first. Only you know how your paint is, give it a good wash, pull into your garage with the door down and no outside light and look at the paint under an LED flashlight and see if you need correction performed
Sponsored