Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
So I recently found this Vevor On-board Air compressor on Amazon for right around $100. I saw a post or two mentioning it other places, but between the questionable reviews on the manufacturer’s website, and the terrible, but ultimately useless reviews on Amazon, I thought I would go into a bit more detail.

First thing, from the outside it is a direct copy of the ARB Single compressor. It is just that though, a copy, not a clone. The layout is the same, but there are noticeable cost cutting measures that took place, from a splotchy paint job, to cheapo hardware in certain places. So, same same, but different.

Next what’s included in the box. The BOM lists things like a pressure switch, rocker switch, wiring harness, relay, etc. so this would lead you to believe that it has what you need to wire all those things together right? Wrong. The wiring harness is the solenoid harness for installing lockers, and a straight power lead, nothing for wiring in the relay, pressure switch, or rocker switch. Expect to buy some wire for making up this deficiency, a few feet of wire and some crimp on terminals and I had the relay, rocker and pressure switch all connected up.

It also comes with a cheap air hose, some quick connects, a few air up accessories, and a roll of Teflon tape. Everything you need to run the air right off the manifold with the pressure switch installed is there. Out of the box, you have what you need to fill a tire.

The pressure switch is where I ran into my only real problem. The 40a in-line fuse tends to pop before the included 100/150 pressure switch cuts power to the compressor, it managed to cut the power exactly twice before the fuse popped first, i then repeated this twice more to similar results. I am choosing to just drop down to a 70/100 pressure switch since the compressor is only supposed to draw 35A. I have a hard time believing this thing wouldn’t burn up trying to get to 150psi consistently.

In use it got wicked hot, but did manage to inflate all 4 of my 35x12.50r17’s simultaneously from 15 to 38 PSI in 12 minutes flat. So I am happy with the results there.

Overall the longevity is going to be what decides if this is a winner or not. I wound up spending just as much on installation components, between a pack of fuses, a braided line to deal with the heat, a replacement pressure switch, wire, relay holder etc. that for $200 I could have gotten a much faster and nicer portable. But I now have onboard air for about $200, so I’m calling it a win.

If you can look past the lack of instructions, complete lack of plug and play functionality, don’t actually need it to get to 150psi and want something cheap and dirty. This may be what your looking for. As long as I get a year or two out of it I know I’ll be satisfied with it.

VEVOR Onboard Air Compressor Kit https://a.co/d/9BbgpD0

IMG_1208.jpeg

IMG_1213.jpeg

IMG_1212.jpeg

IMG_1211.jpeg

IMG_1215.jpeg
Sponsored

Reddog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Army. Retired Construction Manager / Contracting Officer
I don't care what the price is, I refuse to buy products that use stolen designs another company paid for. China can go broke for all I care. Vevor is a site for stuff copied from someone else's design and manufactured using slave or cheap labor. Support American manufacturers. Not preaching here but American made stuff is still the best.

OP
OP
HjStrater

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
I don't care what the price is, I refuse to buy products that use stolen designs another company paid for. China can go broke for all I care. Vevor is a site for stuff copied from someone else's design and manufactured using slave or cheap labor. Support American manufacturers. Not preaching here but American made stuff is still the best.
I agree with the sentiment, and do buy American when there are competitive products on the market. I choose to run Warn winches, LOD bumpers, and although my smartcap is a South Africa manufactured one, the company has since invested in a manufacturing center in Texas. ARB already has a bunch of my money from buying their fridge over a cheaper Chinese companies version.

Commodity products like this though are hard to find made here, and even the ARB version is Chinese Made and Australia “Assembled”. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Reddog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Army. Retired Construction Manager / Contracting Officer
I agree with the sentiment, and do buy American when there are competitive products on the market. I choose to run Warn winches, LOD bumpers, and although my smartcap is a South Africa manufactured one, the company has since invested in a manufacturing center in Texas. ARB already has a bunch of my money from buying their fridge over a cheaper Chinese companies version.

Commodity products like this though are hard to find made here, and even the ARB version is Chinese Made and Australia “Assembled”. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
I do understand where you are coming from but have to draw line some place. As long as China gets favorable treatment by our government and continues to steal designs that American companies paid for our own companies will suffer. This is a huge problem. Price is but one factor to use when deciding what to buy. If we are willing to do the homework, you can find an American product typically. If only Chinese made products are available, I choose to buy the ones designed here and sold here first. The America we know if being strangled by Chinese theft and ourcitizens reluctance to do anything about it.
Sponsored