Sponsored

On-board Air Compressors...is it really worth it?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'm really curious as to the actual specs on that Smitty compressor because that's a lot of volume for a 30A pump... Advertised CFM is always at zero PSI so I'm wondering how it actually performs at real pressures compared to like a 300P or something.

But on that note, Viair's 300P and up are great choices for 33s or better from a portable. ARB's offerings tend to mount easier and if you do the single, there's videos floating around showing you how you can remove the engine cover and attach it to the bracket under hood.
Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
As mentioned, there is a reason the higher end compressors are more expensive. If you drop from 35lbs to 13lbs to run a trail, I will guarantee those compressors will time out when they get too hot, or, it will take over an hour to air up. It’s that simple. CO2 is nice with restrictions as mentioned. I use my rv compressor 400p ViAir and it works well, but it’s was well over $200. Like some say, you get what you pay for, and when you get less, you tend to not have a good time, or spend even more doing it right the second time.

dawghauler

First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jt sport s max tow
Occupation
hvac
look at alltop portable compressors on amazon look just like the smitty built. put out about 5cfm and have a 45 min constant runtime

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
look at alltop portable compressors on amazon look just like the smitty built. put out about 5cfm and have a 45 min constant runtime

I had been waiting on these to come back in stock from last fall and it looks like they're back in. I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.

Sponsored

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
Just bit the bullet! Bought an ARB twin. Should ship in a few days. Now............where to mount it?

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Challenger Hellcat. 17' Grand Cherokee SRT, 2021 Mojave,Loaded.
How timely. Just found this post. Been racking my brain on what portable air source to use. thinking ARB, but not yet convinced myself to pull the trigger. It'll only get used a few time a year. Now you all got me thinking of on board air instead.

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Just bit the bullet! Bought an ARB twin. Should ship in a few days. Now............where to mount it?
I used the Grimm off road mount. It's mounted on the firewall behind the driver side front tire. It looks like a relatively simple install but I had a shop do it when doing a bunch of other stuff. Looking into four tire inflation systems next.

If you spend a lot of time in mud you may need to figure out a way to protect it more in that spot.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I went to JJ last fall and had nothing but issues filling my tires with an economy unit I found on another jeep forum. It was fine for the first tire but after that couldn't keep up. In the end I got enough in the tires to get to the camp site where I had a bit larger pancake unit in my camper. It wasn't much better but got it done for the weekend. I plan to order the ARB in a few weeks as we budgeted for it over the winter. I plan to go with the portable unit in the case for now as I have 3 jeeps but most likely order another to mount in the JT later this summer.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
If you need a mount for the ARB Single or Twin take a look at what we have to offer. We have several options for mounting a compressor in many locations of the JT using one of our compressor-specific mounts, inside our Under Seat Storage Bin or on our MOLLE panels.

813fabrication.com

Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I had been waiting on these to come back in stock from last fall and it looks like they're back in. I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.
I finally got around to using this. The last cold snap set off the TPMS alert on all 4 tires. They were down to 28-29 PSI. Not wanting to drive around with the light on I decide to give the compressor a try.

I got each tire up to 36-37 PSI in about 30 seconds. The in-line gauge was not accurate, but once I realized how far off it was I could still use it to figure out when to stop. (It read about 5 PSI lower than it should have).

I haven't gone from <20 PSI back up yet but was fairly impressed with the light duty. The battery clamps were plenty long enough to leave the unit on the ground and the hose could reach the rear driver's side no problem (I had it over the bed but it's long enough to go around).

I hadn't seen much of any mention of this brand. I guess it's another knock off but they seem solid for what they are. I will post another update once I get an opportunity to really air down and up again.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Yeah, if you have air lockers it’s a no-brainer.

I can talk myself into paying 2-3 times more for better quality and convenience, but 10x more it gets difficult to justify that.

Yeah, for most of us, it’s always about budget. Because there are no deals to be found on these on-board compressors, it makes it easier to wait.

What I’ll probably do is go the inexpensive route and see if I can deal with the inconvenience the first time I’m out there. That way I’ll prove to myself either way which way to go.
I guess you could buy like 3 of the cheaper air compressors and cycle them to fill up the tires. Still, I just went with an ARB twin for convenience and reliability.

Dark_Iron_Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[2021 Sarge Mojave]
This all makes sense to me for getting on-board air. The million dollar question for me is, does the ARB single have enough CFM and power to inflate all four tires at once. I'm looking at one of the DIY hose options to inflate/deflate, but don't want to spring for the double if I don't have to. I don't do a ton of off-roading, so it's like I'd need to run this multiple times per day, no lockers, no air tools. Running 33's for now, *might* step up to 35's but no chance of going higher than that. 33's on my JKU have been exactly what I need.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
This all makes sense to me for getting on-board air. The million dollar question for me is, does the ARB single have enough CFM and power to inflate all four tires at once. I'm looking at one of the DIY hose options to inflate/deflate, but don't want to spring for the double if I don't have to. I don't do a ton of off-roading, so it's like I'd need to run this multiple times per day, no lockers, no air tools. Running 33's for now, *might* step up to 35's but no chance of going higher than that. 33's on my JKU have been exactly what I need.
I have the single mounted. It will fill 35s easy one at a time, I have never tried all 4 at once.

Dark_Iron_Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[2021 Sarge Mojave]
I have the single mounted. It will fill 35s easy one at a time, I have never tried all 4 at once.
Good data point. Also, it'll be later this Winter before I pull the trigger, but definitely looking at your bed mount option for which ever compressor I get. I love that you have slots on the housing to also turn it into a 12V power station and plan to run my rack light controls to there.
Sponsored