Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am quite sure the Dad will forever feel the responsibility... However, harshness at this time is unwarranted and callous.
My post was not intended to be harsh or callous. It was really just the opposite.

My post was intended to remind us that it can happen to anyone; that under these circumstances it is normal human nature to jump to aid those in trouble.

I illustrated that by sharing a story of MY screw up and noting that by the grace of God nobody was injured when I made a similar mistake.
Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
My post was not intended to be harsh or callous. It was really just the opposite.

My post was intended to remind us that it can happen to anyone; that under these circumstances it is normal human nature to jump to aid those in trouble.

I illustrated that by sharing a story of MY screw up and noting that by the grace of God nobody was injured when I made a similar mistake.
Sorry, it caught me wrong, I apologize

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem. Tone is so hard to gauge sometimes. I also tend to write in short choppy sentences, which can seem abrupt.

When I was in my 20s I was hanging with my mom, she said I love you. I said I love you back. She said, "you have no clue". I was like "huh"?

She explained that until I have a kid, I won't understand how intensely you love your kids.

I figured that out about 3 seconds after my first child was born. The pain that that dad must feel now has to be unbearable. The thing that keeps you going in a situation like that is that you need to keep it together for the other kid.

JDMRN81

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
Damn, RIP little one! :-(

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
So many times folks ignore basic safety procedures, the parking brake in this situation, based on reports. Not trying to be callous-I know all too well the place these parents are now.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
HORRIBLE accident that didn't need to happen. And this is exactly why we end up with "features" like AutoPark on Jeeps that are virtually impossible to over-ride. Please supervise children and use your parking brake out on the trail!

My sincere prayers to this family. What was supposed to be a fun trip now will haunt them forever. I hate it for them! So sad!!! :( Losing a child is as bad as it can possibly get in this world. So there's a Go Fund Me link somewhere?

Edit: I went back to page 1 and saw this link. Just donated. I wish the best for them.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Heartbreaking! Thanks for the post, money donated.

This is exactly WHY Jeep implemented that feature people complain about that puts the vehicle in Park if you open the door and the seat belt is buckled.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So sorry to hear of this news. God Bless.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Slow is fast, and fast is slow. This is something a famous motorcycle racer said about riding, but it applies to any sort of emergency also. I'm old enough and do enough stuff to have seen quite a number of injuries and deaths. The number of people who panic-run to an event is astounding. You will almost never make things better by taking two seconds to jump in versus ten. But with a calculated approach, you can avoid further danger or damage. I've watched people make things worse by jumping in too fast.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
All of us have screwed up at one time or another. Most of the time its just a DOH-slap on the forehead. Next time some loud mouth blurts out some safety warning Ill say thanks. Maybe we should all be loud mouths in this regard.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Maybe we should all be loud mouths in this regard.
When shooting with kids, we make it clear that they can yell "STOP" or call out any adults making mistakes just as much as the adults can do that. And the only time someone in my shooting group complained about being asked to be safe (muzzle down range even if "unloaded"), we just packed up and never brought him again.
Sponsored