First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Engineer
I got my Clayton 1-1/2” leveling kit installed yesterday, and have some measurements to share.

Vehicle:
‘21 JT Rubicon ecoDiesel with factory steel bumper and HF winch.

Suspension modifications:
Dealer-installed TSB, stiffer shocks (x4) and softer front bump-stops.
Rear: 3/4” pucks (Amazon) with AirLift 1000 airbags.
Front: Clayton Off-road 1-1/2” leveling kit.

Rear, with airbags at minimum pressure, sits 1-3/16” higher than original.

Front sits 1-15/16” higher than original.

Bottoming-out performance, with my least-favorite neighborhood speed bump:
Original: Bottomed out very hard at 12mph.
After TSB: Bottomed out a little more softly, at 15mph.
After Clayton kit: Did not bottom out at 30mph.

I had expected a harsher ride, considering the stiffer front springs, but I have to say it isn’t noticeable, and it is especially smooth over the speed bumps. Altogether, this was under $1000, and money well spent.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-gladiator-15-leveling-kit-2020-jt

Brian.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Pics?!?

OP
OP

bnordlund

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Before:

Jeep Gladiator Clayton Leveling Kit Results on Rubicon Diesel 14ACA568-A909-42BF-969D-11B806DAFFC5

After:

Jeep Gladiator Clayton Leveling Kit Results on Rubicon Diesel 4B28BF7E-1B0C-4973-BC82-83E8F2715CC1

TotallyReasonable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JT Willys
Looks great! I have the same springs, clayton's track bar and a rear 1.5" spacer sitting on standby for a good time to install. You keeping the same wheels/tires or going up there too?

Sponsored

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Who knew a leveling kit would change the color or the vehicle?
I was thinking the exact same thing!

so was this springs or spacers? I tossed 2.5” spacers in the front of mine and never had another bottoming out issue again. Cost me almost 78 dollars.

OP
OP

bnordlund

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Summer vs winter rain in the Pacific Northwest, haha. It really does look different though.

I added a link to the Clayton kit, in the original post.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bnordlund

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Looks great! I have the same springs, clayton's track bar and a rear 1.5" spacer sitting on standby for a good time to install. You keeping the same wheels/tires or going up there too?
Thanks - I’m looking at going up to 35-inch MT Baja A/T’s, in a narrow width in order to keep the factory wheels and keep the tire weight down. I don’t want to go so large that it triggers a gearing change. It seems to me that the torque of the diesel could handle the 35’s with the stock 3.73’s. Since I’m not a rock crawler (more of a logging road bomber), the extra-low low-range, would actually be more useful to me if it had a little longer legs.

Brian

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Thanks - I’m looking at going up to 35-inch MT Baja A/T’s, in a narrow width in order to keep the factory wheels and keep the tire weight down. I don’t want to go so large that it triggers a gearing change. It seems to me that the torque of the diesel could handle the 35’s with the stock 3.73’s. Since I’m not a rock crawler (more of a logging road bomber), the extra-low low-range, would actually be more useful to me if it had a little longer legs.

Brian
Looks great. Good to hear about the bottoming out.

I ran 35s for two years with the diesel and the stock 3.73, including some rock crawling, and had no problems. I bumped up to 37s and kept the gearing, and no issues yet with 5K on them. No crawling yet, but I’ve bombed a few logging trails myself.

OP
OP

bnordlund

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Looks great. Good to hear about the bottoming out.

I ran 35s for two years with the diesel and the stock 3.73, including some rock crawling, and had no problems. I bumped up to 37s and kept the gearing, and no issues yet with 5K on them. No crawling yet, but I’ve bombed a few logging trails myself.
Well… with that encouraging news, I might have to upgrade the tires sooner rather than later. My wife thanks you, haha.

Brian.

Sponsored

IAGLADI8R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Union Carpenter

Brian
Do you have a link to the 35's you are looking at? I want to do the same thing I want to keep my Rubicon rims, but keep it narrow I like the tires inside the wheel wells

OP
OP

bnordlund

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Do you have a link to the 35's you are looking at? I want to do the same thing I want to keep my Rubicon rims, but keep it narrow I like the tires inside the wheel wells
I am looking at these, which are actually an inch narrower than the stock tires:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Mickey+Thompson&tireModel=Baja+Boss+A/T&partnum=585QR7BBAT

I like the tall skinny look, and the narrower width also helps minimize the weight and wind load of the tire. If you select “Specs” you can see all the details.

Brian.

wveddy

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
Any changes to drivability or steering after the leveling kit? Parts for the TSB seemed to be on backoreder for the forseeable future.

OP
OP

bnordlund

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
After leveling kit, the front end is just stiff enough that I don’t bottom out any more. However, the ride is not harsh.

I waited to install the leveling kit until after the dealer installed the TSB. I wanted to get the stiffer shocks and I assumed that they would not agree to do the TSB for free if I had already modified the front end.

Brian

wveddy

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
good to know, i am in the same spot. Dealer says the tsb fox shocks are on back order with no expected date
Sponsored