Sponsored

Cleaning Gauge Covers

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
So no matter what I try to use to clean the gauge covers (the plastic over our gauges) I always seem to scratch them up. I've tried everything from the softest paper towels I can find to microfiber clothes. What have you guys been using to get yours clean without introducing new scratches/swirls onto them? Or are you guys having the same trouble as me? I've never had this happen in my vehicles before, any of them.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
So no matter what I try to use to clean the gauge covers (the plastic over our gauges) I always seem to scratch them up. I've tried everything from the softest paper towels I can find to microfiber clothes. What have you guys been using to get yours clean without introducing new scratches/swirls onto them? Or are you guys having the same trouble as me? I've never had this happen in my vehicles before, any of them.
I don't clean mine. Definitely, do not use any paper products to clean screens with. Use a slightly damp soft cloth, and wipe top to bottom or side to side. Use a little alcohol, if necessary, to get it clean.

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't clean mine. Definitely, do not use any paper products to clean screens with. Use a slightly damp soft cloth, and wipe top to bottom or side to side. Use a little alcohol, if necessary, to get it clean.
Are you talking about the 5-7" infotainment system? Or the gauges? I have no problem with the infotainment screen being cleaned.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking about the 5-7" infotainment system? Or the gauges? I have no problem with the infotainment screen being cleaned.
Any screen, TV, phone, tablet, infotainment, or anything with a plastic cover over it. Some are designed to be cleaned, and fair better. Paper products, no matter how soft, can leave scratches in the material being cleaned.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Use Plexus on them and your soft top windows too, works GREAT!
Plexus this is a small bottle for a backpack
Pexus 13oz

Expensive but worth it as it will cover any minor scratches that are already in the plastic.

Gregj

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Agree - paper towels are a no-no on acrylics. I was informed of that when I bought my first linear tracking turntable and wanted to keep the smoke acrylic cover really nice and shiny.
Also - it's a bit like paint - dust is abrasive. Ever seen where someone wipes dust off with their hands on a nicely polished car? (I'll smack anyone who runs a finger on my car's finish! You'll see that mark forever if there's dust on the paint - even a LITTLE dust)

Blow the dust off, or use something that will let the dust sink into it's surface and not remain on the surface of the thing you wipe with. Paper products are not pure, have grits in them and keep the dust on the surface as you wipe, in effect turning it into really fine sandpaper.

They make products for cleaning acrylics - some polish and actually leave a protection on the surface.
I've had decent luck with some very high quality microfiber products but turn the surface regularly as it collects the dust.

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, thanks guys. I'll take a look at that plexus stuff.

tabrods

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport s
Occupation
Retired
Got one of these on my last trip to to Ace is the place for $6.00. Nice light touch and cleans off the gauges great. Even extends to 3' so you can sit in the driver's seat and clean your dash (not while you're driving)....
Jeep Gladiator Cleaning Gauge Covers IMG_3174.JPG

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
I've got a car detail brush that seems to work well and not leave any scratches.
Sponsored