Sponsored

Colorado or Front Range Gladiator owners

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Saw my first real Bronco on Circle today. Not bad. I waved. They waved. I'll keep my JT.

Dark_Iron_Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[2021 Sarge Mojave]
Hey everyone. Great thread. I'm out in Aurora-ish and I have a Mojave on order. Ordered it about 2 weeks ago, so likely 4-32 weeks away from delivery, ha. I've currently got a 17' JKU: Willys, lifted 2" on 33's (285/70r17, so closer to 32's probably). Admittedly I haven't wheeled in the mountains as much as I would've liked to due to various reasons, but hoping to rectify that.

Short version: Currently riding and enjoying 33's on 3.73 gears in my '17 JKU 6-speed. Theoretically that should mean stepping up to 34/35's (315/70r17) with my Mojave's 4.10 gears should maintain an equal-ish ride. Heavier vehicle, but the auto is quite nice I hear. What say you mountain-trekking folks?

Long version:
My 6-speed manual, 3.73 gears and 33's have been great on all the paved passes around the state, regardless of grade; as well as every service road/county road I've trekked down for fishing spots. I know what I have in a Wrangler and I don't fill out spreadsheets to track fuel mileage, but I can say that I've never been upset with how long or not a tank of gas lasted.

Given that, with the Mojave's 4.10 gears, I'm considering stepping up to 315/70r17. I have no intention of re-gearing nor will I go with a larger tire; the Grabbers at that size are basically the same weight as stock A/Ts, so I figure I'll be happy. I've read all the tire threads, seen all the charts, but I'm most interested in the opinions of you all: the people hitting the same terrain, driving the same roads, as I will be. Feel free to give me bad news. I'm just as content with the stock size tires, as that's what I currently ride on, but I don't think anyone has ever complained with an extra inch of clearance if it doesn't cost them much.

As implied, I don't plan to do anything super difficult/technical; mostly easier passes and trails with the occasional technical obstacle. I understand what I bought and I intend to use it as close to its purpose as possible. Now that the kids are older it will head out more regularly and since we aren't near a ton of wide open dunes, I still need to able to get through the mountains.

I welcome your thoughts, and hopefully I can hit some trails with you all once Winter passes.

Cheers.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I'm running 35s and 4.88 gears. If we get a chance to meet up you are welcome to drive mine.
I have the 8 spd auto thanks to the recall on manuals when I got mine. I was at 3.73 and it was a dog with 35s. Livable with 33s.
For me the 4.88 was a game changer. Snappy off the line now and wheels much better. I even see 8th gear on the highway.

Oh....come wheel with us. I have yet to have a bad day wheeling with this group.

Hey everyone. Great thread. I'm out in Aurora-ish and I have a Mojave on order. Ordered it about 2 weeks ago, so likely 4-32 weeks away from delivery, ha. I've currently got a 17' JKU: Willys, lifted 2" on 33's (285/70r17, so closer to 32's probably). Admittedly I haven't wheeled in the mountains as much as I would've liked to due to various reasons, but hoping to rectify that.

Short version: Currently riding and enjoying 33's on 3.73 gears in my '17 JKU 6-speed. Theoretically that should mean stepping up to 34/35's (315/70r17) with my Mojave's 4.10 gears should maintain an equal-ish ride. Heavier vehicle, but the auto is quite nice I hear. What say you mountain-trekking folks?

Long version:
My 6-speed manual, 3.73 gears and 33's have been great on all the paved passes around the state, regardless of grade; as well as every service road/county road I've trekked down for fishing spots. I know what I have in a Wrangler and I don't fill out spreadsheets to track fuel mileage, but I can say that I've never been upset with how long or not a tank of gas lasted.

Given that, with the Mojave's 4.10 gears, I'm considering stepping up to 315/70r17. I have no intention of re-gearing nor will I go with a larger tire; the Grabbers at that size are basically the same weight as stock A/Ts, so I figure I'll be happy. I've read all the tire threads, seen all the charts, but I'm most interested in the opinions of you all: the people hitting the same terrain, driving the same roads, as I will be. Feel free to give me bad news. I'm just as content with the stock size tires, as that's what I currently ride on, but I don't think anyone has ever complained with an extra inch of clearance if it doesn't cost them much.

As implied, I don't plan to do anything super difficult/technical; mostly easier passes and trails with the occasional technical obstacle. I understand what I bought and I intend to use it as close to its purpose as possible. Now that the kids are older it will head out more regularly and since we aren't near a ton of wide open dunes, I still need to able to get through the mountains.

I welcome your thoughts, and hopefully I can hit some trails with you all once Winter passes.

Cheers.

Sponsored

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
FWIW, I have 35's with 4.10 gears and auto and am thinking about going to 4.88's, but only because I tow a trailer with it and it would be nice to get another gear (or half a gear) back. When I'm just driving around or wheeling, I think the 4.10's are fine. That said, I haven't driven a JT with 4.88's so I may not know what I'm missing :).

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Always welcome to drive mine.
But man, best investment ever. Hard to pull the trigger...it is a lot of money you don't see on your rig, but super worth it.

FWIW, I have 35's with 4.10 gears and auto and am thinking about going to 4.88's, but only because I tow a trailer with it and it would be nice to get another gear (or half a gear) back. When I'm just driving around or wheeling, I think the 4.10's are fine. That said, I haven't driven a JT with 4.88's so I may not know what I'm missing :).

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Always welcome to drive mine.
But man, best investment ever. Hard to pull the trigger...it is a lot of money you don't see on your rig, but super worth it.
Much appreciated, you've offered before I just haven't had the chance to be in your vicinity.

Only thing holding me back right now is warranty. I checked with one dealer and they won't do it, but if I can find a dealer to do it and cover it I'd feel better. I've already had one rear axle replaced and I'd hate to get into a fight over a second if I swap gears using a non-Mopar shop. Any thoughts?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I used Tanner 4x4 here in town. They gave me a lifetime warranty on their parts and work. Even used hot ran gears. Not sure how my local dealer will like that. I figure if it is an issue caused by gears Tanner can fix that. If it's not gears, it should still be fixed under warranty.

Much appreciated, you've offered before I just haven't had the chance to be in your vicinity.

Only thing holding me back right now is warranty. I checked with one dealer and they won't do it, but if I can find a dealer to do it and cover it I'd feel better. I've already had one rear axle replaced and I'd hate to get into a fight over a second if I swap gears using a non-Mopar shop. Any thoughts?

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used Tanner 4x4 here in town. They gave me a lifetime warranty on their parts and work. Even used hot ran gears. Not sure how my local dealer will like that. I figure if it is an issue caused by gears Tanner can fix that. If it's not gears, it should still be fixed under warranty.
My line of thinking, too. But if there's a driveline issue, the dealer has "an out" saying it was caused by the gears. Opening a can of worms I was hoping to avoid by having the dealership do the work. I've heard others have been able to do that, I just haven't called around to other dealerships yet.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I agree, but I had a whole rebuild done. Bearings etc. Professional shop.
Good reputation. I will fight it if they try. I can see if I did it myself, but I avoided the back years gear swap.

My line of thinking, too. But if there's a driveline issue, the dealer has "an out" saying it was caused by the gears. Opening a can of worms I was hoping to avoid by having the dealership do the work. I've heard others have been able to do that, I just haven't called around to other dealerships yet.

Dark_Iron_Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[2021 Sarge Mojave]
Thanks @BlackDog and @DocMike for the insight. I suspect I'd probably be okay with the 315/70r17's and the 4.10 gears for what I do. That said, I might just keep with the stock 285/70r17 - or pick a different tire brand and get 285/75r17 for a happy compromise. I still have some time to choose. Then I'll just see where problems hit and adjust from there if necessary.

Either way, I look forward to wheeling with you all come Spring!

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I'll do Red Cone. Any other takers? Changing leaves and it's going to be winter and we will all be complaining about no wheeling.

Let's gooooooo! Red cone vote here but ok with anything. Let's get out and wheel among the changing leaves!
Sponsored