Compete system shut down

dustanner

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Yesterday I installed the Mopar AUX switches. It took a long time but went smoothly, no issues at all. I triple checked everything so I’m confident it’s all correct. When I reconnected the battery grounds, everything came on except some of the interior lights. I turned it off and on again. The lights all came back but the front and rear cameras didn’t work. I took it for a test drive to give the system time to recalibrate and then....

the Jeep completely stopped while I was waiting in a turn lane. The brake wouldn’t depress, I couldn’t change gears, but all lights and electronics were on. Then, it gave me a “Steering Service Required” message on the dash.

About and hour later while waiting on a tow truck, all of the lights went crazy, the windshield wipers came on very slowly, and then everything slowly turned off. No power anywhere.

Hours later a tow truck arrived and drug the Jeep onto a flatbed because it wouldn’t shift out of park, even using the shift release. It’s now waiting at the dealer who’s closed until Monday of course.

Any ideas on what wen wrong and how I should handle it with the dealer? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a ground issue to me. Something seems to be grounded wrong. It's going to be a tough warranty sell if something for fried because you were doing the aux switch install yourself, 100% grounds for them to expect you to pay for repairs. I hope it works out. It seems like it shouldn't be something major. You would be surprised what a bad ground wire can cause.

OP
OP
dustanner

dustanner

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Sounds like a ground issue to me. Something seems to be grounded wrong. It's going to be a tough warranty sell if something for fried because you were doing the aux switch install yourself, 100% grounds for them to expect you to pay for repairs. I hope it works out. It seems like it shouldn't be something major. You would be surprised what a bad ground wire can cause.
Thank you!! Could you elaborate on “bad ground”? What could go wrong with the grounds? Before I started the job, I unhooked and the battery ground and passenger side fender wall grounds. After all done, I reconnected them. Could you do me a huge favor and send a pic of your side mounted grounds? I want to make sure I hooked them back correctly.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Dustanner
I'll snap a few photos of the under hood ones. I hope it helps.
The first one by air filter box intake don't "play" well with others.. I've used all my Aux switch's and it's quite busy in this area. The AL. bracket covers part of factory ground connections. As I said that front ground will be a angry beaver ground for vehicle electronics, when I connected to it I got some strange "reactions" but if you was just installing the Aux switch group. You shouldn't need to connect anything to ground. Just the batteries being disconnect for installation. The Aux switch's should be just fuzed "hot" wires no grounding wire in there.

Jeep Gladiator Compete system shut down 15957914689354794282292054804377

Jeep Gladiator Compete system shut down 15957915013317941862525348703508

Jeep Gladiator Compete system shut down 15957915227555671063647579943386

OP
OP
dustanner

dustanner

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Thank you Blade! I’m going to go take a second look at mine. I’ll take pics to post.

Sponsored

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
Just got my JT back from the dealer on Thursday and had them install the AUX switch group and calibrate everything. I don’t actually have any accessories hooked up yet to the switches, but if you need any more snapshots under the hood, let me know.

OP
OP
dustanner

dustanner

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Just got my JT back from the dealer on Thursday and had them install the AUX switch group and calibrate everything. I don’t actually have any accessories hooked up yet to the switches, but if you need any more snapshots under the hood, let me know.
How much did they charge you? Mine wanted $900. That, and I felt confident I could do it myself is why I did. And I still feel like the install went perfectly. But apparently something is off.
Any pics you have of the connections would be much appreciated!

OP
OP
dustanner

dustanner

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
So here’s my side wall grounds. Everything is where it needs to be and like it was as far as I can tell. Sorry for the poor angle, the Amfib snorkel tube is really in the way.

359C20FD-F746-41C5-ACDE-9D03A02A3A2F.jpeg

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
Jeep Gladiator Compete system shut down 6B46F62C-E8BE-40E3-9585-9DBB648863C1
Jeep Gladiator Compete system shut down C40611BA-2E22-445A-B855-13A5D8959750
Not sure what I paid exactly, as I also had tow plate hardware and some other work done. I’m pretty sure it was less than your quote, although I’m glad I left this particular job to the pros. Let me see if I can attach a few photos.

OP
OP
dustanner

dustanner

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Not sure what I paid exactly, as I also had tow plate hardware and some other work done. I’m pretty sure it was less than your quote, although I’m glad I left this particular job to the pros. Let me see if I can attach a few photos.
yep, I can see the photos. Thank you! Mine looks just like yours.

Yeah and they wanted $900 for just the install. I already had the part.

Wilkerbeast

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom Edition
Occupation
Aviation Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I watched this vid the other day, the guy says you have to have the computer flashed after the install. Its for the JL but might be relevant. Not sure if that's your issue, just a thought.
Sponsored

Last edited: