Sponsored

Consistently drifts into oncoming traffic, Jeep says "operating as designed".

GLAD8R

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt a member of Jeep's engineering team woke up one morning and said Hey just thinking outside the box but "lets included drifting into oncoming traffic as a design plan as no one else is doing it"

Asking for the communities help FCA & Jeep solve this issue.

I purchased a new 2020 Gladiator Rubicon on 23 May, Unfortunately it has more time in the shop than my garage. No after market modification, straight stock less than 200 miles.
With steering wheel at the horizontal position and tested on several level parking lots the vehicle will completely change lane (right to left) within 100 yards at speeds under 35 mph. The condition is significantly worse at highway speeds resulting in oversteering. The Gladiator even drifts into oncoming traffic (left) on roads and highways with a 2 or 3% right pitched grade.
After the test drives with the jeep dealership and providing numerous videos to Fiat, Chrysler, they say it is within specs and operating as designed.

I have had at least one Jeep in my garage since 1980, having owned over a dozen Jeeps, stock and modified and I have never experienced a drift to the left. I test drove four other 2020 Gladiators no issues with drifting to the left, all gladiators I drove had somewhat loose steering but that seems to be normal on these vehicles. I fully understand the straight axel excuse that many reference however I have driven incorrectly loaded dump trucks that handle better on the highway.

Below is a list of adjustments my local dealership performed. The FCA rep says I need a second opinion as they don't know what to do. I recommended they ask a Jeep engineer and let them know that we have narrowed it down to what it isn't, alignment, tire rotation, or loose suspension. I can't get my vehicle into the only other Jeep dealership on the Island until 18 June, so the Jeep will have set for nearly a month with no progress on getting the problem corrected.

My FCA advisor concurred that this might be the best forum to learn if there is a modification to get this unsafe vehicle, currently nicknamed the "widow maker" on the road.

Noticed it was drifting left after purchasing the vehicle and driving it home at highway speeds, Due to COVID test drives well just around the dealership. Dealer Completed 1st Alignment. Drifted left
All suspension bolts were loosened and re-torqued FCA Jeep recommendation. Drifted left
All tires were rotated. Drifted left
Second alignment after all above adjustments were made. Drifts left.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Ruling out the basic things that any decent mechanic or alignment shop would check,, two suggestions:

#1 Read up on those who have had the steering box replaced. A good thread is here. This would be the best solution you can hope for from Jeep.

#2 Look into the Synergy sector shaft brace. This is an aftermarket solution but many have reported positive results.

If money is no object, you can look into the Big Bore kit for the JT.

Last edited:

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Long shot but try disconnecting or replacing the steering stabilizer? Seems like if the alignment checks out and it continues after rotating tires it has to be something mechanical in the steering. My JT had been good, but my wifes stabilizer was junk- could feel the slop by hand with it out of the jeep. Also Im assuming it would have been the first thing checked but tire pressure- my JT was way overinflated when I brought it home, big difference in handling from 42+ to 36 psi.

OP
OP

GLAD8R

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Long shot but try disconnecting or replacing the steering stabilizer? Seems like if the alignment checks out and it continues after rotating tires it has to be something mechanical in the steering. My JT had been good, but my wifes stabilizer was junk- could feel the slop by hand with it out of the jeep. Also Im assuming it would have been the first thing checked but tire pressure- my JT was way overinflated when I brought it home, big difference in handling from 42+ to 36 psi.
Tires were at 38 cold, I will check the stabilizer

OP
OP

GLAD8R

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Ruling out the basic things that any decent mechanic or alignment shop would check,, two suggestions:

#1 Read up on those who have had the steering box replaced. A good thread is here. This would be the best solution you can hope for from Jeep.

#2 Look into the Synergy sector shaft brace. This is an aftermarket solution but many have reported positive results.

If money is no object, you can look into the Big Bore kit of the JT.
Thanks for the information, I am looking into your solutions.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
One caliper that doesn't release fully can cause a drift or pull.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Electronic power steering can cause a pull also. Get the weight off the front 2 tires and start the engine. If the wheels move left with no steering wheel input then that could be the issue.
Sponsored