Steering issues

JeepG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Psychologist
My 2019 JLU steering wasnt exactly loose in comparison to my TJ. But I ran a lift and 37"tires on it. It was an early 2019 and ended up having a steering recall issued on it. I took it in and they replaced the steering stabilizer and realigned it. This did improve the steering. Given other issues people were having with the steering flex, I added the Synergy sector shaft brace. This made a huge improvement in the steering feel over the Jeep recall.
New steering stabilizer fixed my JL as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chinz67

Chinz67

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Hi Kathryn... Thank you so much. I'll be in touch. Have an appt Monday to get my Mopar lift installed. I seen many other posts
regarding the same issue. A new steering box would be nice. This my first NEW Jeep purchase.
Hi Kathryn... I called my local dealer and informed the Service Manager of the issue.
My appt is Thursday August 6 at Bertera Dodge Jeep in Westfield, MA. I have my fingers crossed that this unsafe issue is corrected.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever you do @Chinz67 don't throw on a steering stabilizer and expect that to fix the issue. It might cover it up for a while but the issue that's causing the steering problem will still be there. I'd check your torque specs on all your steering components and look into to the steering box issue that a lot of people have had. Sounds close in comparison to what I've read other people say about their jeep when they have the steering box issue. Also maybe look into adding that Synergy Track bar brace, I've heard it does work, but I'd have the steering box checked first and make them drive it and ride with them while they are driving it. These dealerships will do anything they can to try to not do the work.

OP
OP
Chinz67

Chinz67

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Whatever you do @Chinz67 don't throw on a steering stabilizer and expect that to fix the issue. It might cover it up for a while but the issue that's causing the steering problem will still be there. I'd check your torque specs on all your steering components and look into to the steering box issue that a lot of people have had. Sounds close in comparison to what I've read other people say about their jeep when they have the steering box issue. Also maybe look into adding that Synergy Track bar brace, I've heard it does work, but I'd have the steering box checked first and make them drive it and ride with them while they are driving it. These dealerships will do anything they can to try to not do the work.
Thank you

troy_brady

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack, 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Occupation
HSE Technician
I keep seeing threads on this and it has be wondering... (And this isn't a dig in anyway, just purely curiosity.) Have those who are experiencing this owned Wranglers previously? I feel my Gladiator drives like my previous Wranglers (both JK and JKU) have in terms of being a looser steering set up with some wandering here and there and definitely more than normal cars, SUVs and trucks. From my understanding Wranglers have always had a looser steering set up.

I'm assuming this isn't the case as some have gotten warranty repairs and they claim the issue has been resolved.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I keep seeing threads on this and it has be wondering... (And this isn't a dig in anyway, just purely curiosity.) Have those who are experiencing this owned Wranglers previously? I feel my Gladiator drives like my previous Wranglers (both JK and JKU) have in terms of being a looser steering set up with some wandering here and there and definitely more than normal cars, SUVs and trucks. From my understanding Wranglers have always had a looser steering set up.

I'm assuming this isn't the case as some have gotten warranty repairs and they claim the issue has been resolved.
I can tell you this, my Gladiator drives way better than my JKU ever did. It drives better with the lift on it than my JKU did when it was stock. I do think some who have never owned a Jeep bash the steering because they just don't know how a jeep feels to drive. But some have had some serious steering issues. I have never had to white knuckle non of the Jeep's I have ever owned stock and I have had 2 wranglers, 2 Cherokees, and the Gladiator.

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I had a 1999 TJ with 122000 miles that I adjusted the steering box on and it drove great and an 2004 TJ Rubicon with 118000 miles and they drove a lot better far as steering goes then my 2020 Gladiator with 1200 miles on it. I've been twisting wrenches all my life and still do about every day. Started out my life as the neighborhood bike mechanic and going on 58 this year. When you turn the steering wheel and the pitman arm on the steering does not move it's got a problem.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland

Yes. this is my 4th. My JKU Rubicon was my last. It had way better steering than my JT did before my steering box replacement. Now they are about the same and I don't hesitate to drive on the hwy with it. I'm actually looking forward to taking it on a road trip in a few weeks. My JT always handled better and has a much nicer interior than my JKU, but the hwy wandering and basically loss of control was horrible and scary.

troy_brady

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack, 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Occupation
HSE Technician
Yes. this is my 4th. My JKU Rubicon was my last. It had way better steering than my JT did before my steering box replacement. Now they are about the same and I don't hesitate to drive on the hwy with it. I'm actually looking forward to taking it on a road trip in a few months. My JT always handled better and has a much nicer interior than my JKU, but the hwy wandering and basically loss of control was horrible and scary.
Good to know! Like I said, all out of curiosity.

When I had my JKU the wife and I had swapped vehicles for a day and she mentioned she never wanted to drive the Jeep again on the highway because its steering was wonky and you had to "really pay attention." Of course my immediate concern was why she isn't paying attention when driving to begin with... :LOL: She's driving a Volkswagen Alltrack which has a much tighter and responsive steering set up than our Jeeps, but then again what isn't? LOL.
Sponsored