First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
We were in SF the beginning of August, we were staying on Union Square but walked up the hill to have a drink at the Top of the Mark. Seeing container ships stacked up waiting to get into the Port of Oakland was a severe eye opener.

The inelastic sectors of the economy can't accommodate the rebounding sectors, it is plain as day. Pretending COVID didn't have a long lasting effect on every aspect of the world economy is like imagining the vaccine is a government mind control experiment, lunacy.

Sure, sick dock workers caused delays for the few boats that could dock as well. Also a factor.
And now not enough dock terminals and capacity for the boats trying to be sent in. Also factors.

But in the end it boils down to the veritable COVID snake working it's way through the economies of the world.
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
When Delta hit the US we could have and should have been in a position to minimize it's impact.

Instead we have a pandemic largely for the unvaccinated. Unfortunately that includes kids under 12 and school is now a serious issue, with major political flare ups from parents in certain areas about masks.

I took these screen grabs today from heavily unvaxxed and heavily vaxxed states comparing the shape of the death curve. Both shapes followed their pandemic response through the winter, then once vaccines in place the shapes diverged. Florida deaths surged, Massachusetts deaths remained flat.

How close we were to precedented times. Ugh.

Jeep Gladiator Container shipping prices 1630120392471

Jeep Gladiator Container shipping prices 1630120400835

Now the antivaxxers are clammoring for horse deworming medicine because they don't want to put unknown stuff in their bodies (but horse medicine is ok?!) or they don't want to do what the liberals tell them to do (even thought it was Trump who paid for the vaccines).

Stupid is as stupid does and here we are. Thanks guys and gals!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When Delta hit the US we could have and should have been in a position to minimize it's impact.

Instead we have a pandemic largely for the unvaccinated. Unfortunately that includes kids under 12 and school is now a serious issue, with major political flare ups from parents in certain areas about masks.

I took these screen grabs today from heavily unvaxxed and heavily vaxxed states comparing the shape of the death curve. Both shapes followed their pandemic response through the winter, then once vaccines in place the shapes diverged. Florida deaths surged, Massachusetts deaths remained flat.

Now the antivaxxers are clammoring for horse deworming medicine because they don't want to put unknown stuff in their bodies (but horse medicine is ok?!) or they don't want to do what the liberals tell them to do (even thought it was Trump who paid for the vaccines).

It's mostly used in horses but it's been used in humans to treat parasitic infections, too. And there is the problem - covid is a virus, not a parasite, and people are dosing themselves in stupid doses! And it's making them SICK. What fools. Only what a doctor says is ok goes into this body.

No one told me what to do. I told myself. I made my choice. Nice to be able to walk around knowing I'm less likely to be sick - or if I do get sick, it won't be as bad (as per my DOCTOR)

Part of our issue now is that when the pandemic hit, people stayed home - computers and phones were in demand, home remodeling stuff went crazy, so factories ramped up for computer production, new phones and truckers couldn't haul enough new flooring and kitchen and bathroom remodeling supplies (I've talked directly to truck drivers about it)
Now those companies are struggling to revamp - again, truck drivers are in short supply (according to two I've talked to, one is a friend) and factories can't get workers. There's a worker shortage. Restaurants are closing because they can't find STAFF now. Pella Corp is trying to expand and ramp up production to help with home building and remodeling supplies (Pella Corp makes windows, doors and other stuff- very high end) and they can't get staff even offering hiring bonuses. Help wanted signs in every business where we are - but no one wants to work now. Rent is FREE! Why work? You can't be kicked out for non-payment. Hmmm............

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
So in other words its from people actually getting sick that caused the increased pricing, or the mandated shutdowns? I don't even remember China being shutdown,l
You don’t remember, or never paid attention? Just FYI, there is no political argument in China about shutdowns. Large cities of millions of people have shut down in China, some several times, and they are completely isolated. They also have ordered entire cities to test citizens for covid. All of them. Every person that lives in the city must get tested.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
So in other words its from people actually getting sick that caused the increased pricing, or the mandated shutdowns? I don't even remember China being shutdown, aside from the small videos posted with them welding doors shut, throwing people in small dog carriers and body bags on the side of the street only in the small town where the disgusting wet markets are. So odd it actually seemed like a movie.
China shut down like a BOSS. Their infection rates went to near zero.

And right now they have shut down their shipping routes because... of COVID! Not US policies on stimulating the economy.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
China shut down like a BOSS. Their infection rates went to near zero.

And right now they have shut down their shipping routes because... of COVID! Not US policies on stimulating the economy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-as-it-battles-worst-covid-outbreak-in-months
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-shutdown-raises-fears-of-closures-worldwide

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-...est-snarl-in-global-supply-chains-11629451800

https://www.agweb.com/news/business...tinue-single-covid-19-case-partially-shutters

https://www.reuters.com/world/china...er-zero-tolerance-covid-19-policy-2021-08-17/

However, China also controls their economy more strictly than the US. They are a communist country, after all, so they can step in and shut anything down at any time and boost things artificially.

So - we live with this until China has covid controlled. And you can bet that they will.

My daughter-in-law owns and operates two schools in Korea and their kids are back in school. They've had it under control for a long time. She travels freely to Korea whenever she wants. Her schools are booming.

I'm not advocating for or against anything at all - just stating what I know, what I observe.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-shutdown-raises-fears-of-closures-worldwide

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-...est-snarl-in-global-supply-chains-11629451800

https://www.agweb.com/news/business...tinue-single-covid-19-case-partially-shutters

https://www.reuters.com/world/china...er-zero-tolerance-covid-19-policy-2021-08-17/

However, China also controls their economy more strictly than the US. They are a communist country, after all, so they can step in and shut anything down at any time and boost things artificially.

So - we live with this until China has covid controlled. And you can bet that they will.

My daughter-in-law owns and operates two schools in Korea and their kids are back in school. They've had it under control for a long time. She travels freely to Korea whenever she wants. Her schools are booming.

I'm not advocating for or against anything at all - just stating what I know, what I observe.
But hey... this is all because Biden tried to stimulate the ekOnom1e

The politics of the US is starting to look like the politics described to me by my neighbors from South Africa, where damaging your opponent is seen as more important than working on the country. Race to the bottom.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
We have the largest GDP in the world.

We have the most vaccines per capita in the world outside of maybe some small countries.

Yet we have the most total infections, the most deaths, and the most active infections in the world.

We are the problem. More specifically the wing of the country that is refusing to do anything about it is the problem.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t remember, or never paid attention? Just FYI, there is no political argument in China about shutdowns. Large cities of millions of people have shut down in China, some several times, and they are completely isolated. They also have ordered entire cities to test citizens for covid. All of them. Every person that lives in the city must get tested.
No argument because it's iron-fist rule, communism, like Cuba - it's what people flee from in Cuba. People in many cases still live and sleep in the corner of Chinese owned factories.

Nothing wrong with getting tested, but I don't care for the powers that own the testing in this country.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette

I can tell you're all worked up, but comparing 2 datasets isn't as simple as posting 2 graphs.

Ivermectin is a safe drug for humans on the WHO's list of essential medicines.

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
We have the largest GDP in the world.

We have the most vaccines per capita in the world outside of maybe some small countries.

Yet we have the most total infections, the most deaths, and the most active infections in the world.

We are the problem. More specifically the wing of the country that is refusing to do anything about it is the problem.
You're stuck with us. Might as well get over it.

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
You're stuck with us. Might as well get over it.
Yeah. Unfortunately there will always be a few whiney babies that got too many participation trophies that want to feel special and smart and argue with world renowned infectious disease experts and scientists, and are deathly afraid a little square piece of cloth might impede their ability to say stupid shit as loudly as they could before so it must be oppression… there’ll always be a few…
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.