Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sold cars for 13 years. This is a terrible piece of advice that will only make his salesman combative. When you are ready to buy a car, go in and choose one. Then tell them you will take it but "here is what you need to do do earn my business." Be sincere. There is no need to get into a silly battle that can be avoided. You will immediately make a friend rather than an adversary. If you don't want a dealer to play games with you, don't play games with your dealer. Simple golden rule style. Because that guy sells 20 cars a month and you buy 1 every 5 years. He's better at selling them than you are at buying them.
I have to agree - it's worked a couple of times, other times it's been "here's the price for those......... if you really want them" and that was that.
Some will deal further, some will know exactly what you are doing because so many do it. Dealership sales people are not always beginners just out of flipping burgers. It will vary from location to location, but around here they are all corporate and you'll lose every time you try that "trick". They know how the game works and they know people hold off on a thing or two. That's a very old game any decent sales person is aware of.

WXman - yeah, it's a couple hot wires under the dash - not really associated with the switches themselves. So if you don't care about an extra wire under the dash to run a dash cam or something, there's no real difference in the aux switches themselves and the wiring they control.
That's what I was told by a dealer and a person here.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I found 2 Gladiators on the lot that are optioned with everything I want minus the Auxiliary switches. The Auxiliary switches can be bought from allmoparparts.com for $260 (at the time of this writing) which is fine. However, the dealership I am negotiating with quoted me $500+ dollars to install the auxiliary switches... WTF!?

Is this right? Do i need to have the 7" Uconnect flashed in order for me to use the Auxiliary switches? Even so, labor just seems excessive to me.

BTW, im negotiating a 5% below invoice on a Rubicon sitting on the lot right now. Seems good to me.
He’s right that the uConnect has to be flashed. The behavior of the aux switches are configured there.

One thing you could consider is an alternative switching solution for controlling auxiliary devices. They are not as nicely integrated as the Aux switches but some can positioned anywhere and you have no dependency on the uConnect.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Sold cars for 13 years. This is a terrible piece of advice that will only make his salesman combative. When you are ready to buy a car, go in and choose one. Then tell them you will take it but "here is what you need to do do earn my business." Be sincere. There is no need to get into a silly battle that can be avoided. You will immediately make a friend rather than an adversary. If you don't want a dealer to play games with you, don't play games with your dealer. Simple golden rule style. Because that guy sells 20 cars a month and you buy 1 every 5 years. He's better at selling them than you are at buying them.
Couldn't agree more. I buy a new car every two years. I always tell them what I want up front and what I am willing to pay. On my Tundra, we were within 600 dollars. I suggested they order the TRD sway bars and I would install myself. MSRP on the sway bars is 589 and probably cost them a third of that. They did it and we all felt good. After several Toyota, the salesman and I are good friends. He sent me a message of congratulations on my Gladiator when I sent him a picture of it.
Sponsored