Sponsored

Cruise control won’t hold speed. Regear?

Beebermd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon
Hey guys. Long time lurker, but I’m so fed up I feel like actually need some advice.

I have a 2020 manual rubi on 35s and 20x12s. I love the wide stance, but I am driving myself crazy at highway speeds. I routinely set my cruise control at 80-85 mph. Gotta love Texas 75mph speed limits. Lol. Into any remote headwind, 6 gear is worthless as expected but even 5th won’t hold at times. This motor just has NO BALLS in the lower RPMs. I didn’t think 35s would be that much of a stretch, maybe it’s the 20x12s? I dunno. I finally blew a gasket when I drove my friends 2021 with the diesel………..on 37s……stock gearing…….with no problem holding 90mph…..in 8th gear. It was awesome.

it only pissed me off because I was between the diesel or the manual. I’d give my left testicle for a manual diesel option. I went with the 6spd.

so anyways, I guess my question………what should I regear to to get this thing to cruise in the 80s mph? I may even go to 37s on the 20x12s. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys. Long time lurker, but I’m so fed up I feel like actually need some advice.

I have a 2020 manual rubi on 35s and 20x12s. I love the wide stance, but I am driving myself crazy at highway speeds. I routinely set my cruise control at 80-85 mph. Gotta love Texas 75mph speed limits. Lol. Into any remote headwind, 6 gear is worthless as expected but even 5th won’t hold at times. This motor just has NO BALLS in the lower RPMs. I didn’t think 35s would be that much of a stretch, maybe it’s the 20x12s? I dunno. I finally blew a gasket when I drove my friends 2021 with the diesel………..on 37s……stock gearing…….with no problem holding 90mph…..in 8th gear. It was awesome.

it only pissed me off because I was between the diesel or the manual. I’d give my left testicle for a manual diesel option. I went with the 6spd.

so anyways, I guess my question………what should I regear to to get this thing to cruise in the 80s mph? I may even go to 37s on the 20x12s. Any advice would be appreciated.
5.13 would be what I would do…if I was in your position. It may be the difference between the manual and auto, but my Mojave holds 84 all day long…I, too, love Texas’ speed limits:)
If it’s windy, the mileage drops to around 14 driving like that. I have 35x12.5x17 on stock rims.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
You don’t think that’s too much, maybe my mind isn’t right, spent too much time with my LJ and JK, but that just seems like too much unless you are going bigger than 37s…?

Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
4.88s all day long. 37x13.5s and I hold 8th gear consistently here in the Great 48. Occasionally dropping to 7th .....

Extremely happy with this setup. ......18+ mpgs as well.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
drop to 4th gear...... 🙈;)

I kid of course, but curious to see what others recommend. From previous builds, gears are king and make all the difference.