Dash mods for head unit mounting

DLA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Silverado
Hi, I'm contemplating the purchase of a Gladiator. I'm into audiophile grade systems in my daily driver, and none of the factory audio systems cut it. I heard the Alpine upgrade, and that doesn't cut it either. Totally not looking to insult anyone who has and enjoys these systems - just looking at my options.
Has anyone ever relocated the window controls and modified that central area of the dash to install a head, or modified the center console for the same purpose? I'm thinking about leaving the factory LCD in place, and installing a sound system completely independent of any existing vehicle systems. I know I can tap in and all that, but I also know I can do better if I don't. Is there any room behind any of the dash - some pics I've seen make it appear that it's packed in pretty tight back there. I don't need a CD player, so not a lot of depth is required but I do need a head unit.

Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Have you seen the Insane Audio JL3001 or Stinger Offroad HEIGH10?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I'm contemplating the purchase of a Gladiator. I'm into audiophile grade systems in my daily driver, and none of the factory audio systems cut it. I heard the Alpine upgrade, and that doesn't cut it either. Totally not looking to insult anyone who has and enjoys these systems - just looking at my options.
Has anyone ever relocated the window controls and modified that central area of the dash to install a head, or modified the center console for the same purpose? I'm thinking about leaving the factory LCD in place, and installing a sound system completely independent of any existing vehicle systems. I know I can tap in and all that, but I also know I can do better if I don't. Is there any room behind any of the dash - some pics I've seen make it appear that it's packed in pretty tight back there. I don't need a CD player, so not a lot of depth is required but I do need a head unit.

Thanks,
Dave
It's packed pretty tight. There's really not room to do much of anything. The 8.4" Head Unit with the Alpine Audio upgrade is pretty good. There are replacement speakers that will fit in the factory holes and improve the sound. If what is available to fit in the current space, OEM or Aftermarket, is not good enough for you, then the Gladiator is probably not the best choice.

OP
OP

DLA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Silverado
Have you seen the Insane Audio JL3001 or Stinger Offroad HEIGH10?
Thanks for the suggestions - I have looked at these two units, and while they are valid options, there's quite a few bad reviews out there, some of which are about sound quality. That makes sense, both these units do everything - for the price of them they can't be audiophile grade.

OP
OP

DLA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Silverado
It's packed pretty tight. There's really not room to do much of anything. The 8.4" Head Unit with the Alpine Audio upgrade is pretty good. There are replacement speakers that will fit in the factory holes and improve the sound. If what is available to fit in the current space, OEM or Aftermarket, is not good enough for you, then the Gladiator is probably not the best choice.
Thanks for the reply! The Gladiator is the only truck with a manual transmission - which I would love, and that's why I'm trying to figure out what I can do with a sound system. Thanks again for the info.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
There is space available, it won't be centered and you'll lose some storage capability.

Glove box area is pretty much wide open.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I have the Insane Audio unit and and very happy with it.
They can be a bit slow with updates but I have had it for a year now and they have worked with me directly on a few things to get them sorted out

Using the RCA pre outs the sound quality is excellent. The signal strength is adjustable and is clean & strong feeding my amps

The Stinger unit is a little bit bigger screen and from a few screen shots I've seen some of the menu interfaces look more refined but I have no personal experience with it

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
If you’re looking for a truck that has good harmonics you need to look elsewhere. The gladiator has little to none sound absorbing and stock speaker pods leave a lot to be desired. I have upgraded mine as far as I’m willing to go and it does sound size ably better than the stock alpine premium but it’s still far away from anything that will amaze you. The gladiator was built for off-roading first and everything else thereafter.

cdelatte

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep JKU
Stinger10 or Teyes CC3 both have a toslink port for a DSP. Sound quality problem solved