Dealer Scams

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
I'm hoping that entices some of them to be a little more reasonable about the BS.
You would think in this day with more informed consumers they would not do this bs.

Rick
Sponsored

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep (FCA for that matter) does their programs on a "Regional" basis. I live in NJ, (Northeast region) but I've been working in the DC area (Mid-Atlantic Region) since last year. When I go to Jeep.com and type in the zip code from DC and click on "Incentives", they are completely different than the ones that come up when I type in my home address in NJ......so much so that I bought (leased) my Gladiator from NJ $46,785 MSRP I got the lease based on an MSRP of $41,520. (Freehold Jeep/ Sport S Max tow, auto, cold weather pkg, 7" SIRIUS, etc.)
Even the guy I've leased 2 successive Chargers from in South Jersey (Lucas CJDR) couldn't/wouldn't come close to the price I got. Bottom line.....you GOTTA go in and try and beat them up for the most part.....cause that's what they're gonna try and do to you !

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Oh, I agree that there are car buyers out there that are just as bad as some of the sales staff can be. I prefer not to be one of either of these types. What I am referring to is my most recent encounter with Hendricks of Concord. So, the dealer puts pinstripes on an addendum sticker when the vehicle obviously does not have any pinstripes added to it. Then adds in paint chip protection which comes as a standard option from the factory. Then expect a customer to believe that they did other things to the vehicle such as paint sealer? That is specifically what I am referring to, not the art of negotiation. For a dealership to attempt maximizing profit by deceptive practice of addendums and numbers games by promising one price online and not honoring that price upon arrival is just a shady practice. What if Lowes hardware did that or the grocery store? What makes it ok for a car dealership to do it?

I read that article on edmunds years ago when it came out. It is a good read. I have researched this topic extensively. I also have an appreciation for the car lot salesperson who spends stupid long hours at the dealership. This is more why I prefer a fair deal for both these days. I have had friends in the car sales industry and heard the stories you referenced first hand. I also know the time they put in and it is pretty ridiculous. Tire kickers suck too.
I don't mind paying a fair price just want to deal with all the bullshit. Come up with a real deal price without all the crap add stuff and the crazy nonsense at the dealership and boom. Had a buddy who used to do car sales and he put in insane hours but from what he was telling me a lot of those hours are because of all the ridiculous games, etc (Gotta take it to the boss man, then back and forth and then financing, etc).

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Why I typically go to a place like AutoLenders in the past. Flat pricing,

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'm hoping that entices some of them to be a little more reasonable about the BS.
I guess I am lucky I have a very good dealer locally. Then again, I ordered rather than buy off the lot.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Was talking to a dealer here in Houston area just a few days ago about a Sport S that is in transit and close to what I am looking for. Wanted to find out more about it as there was a discrepancy on color and also wanted to talk to them about price. He replied back if I was able to come that day and test drive as the pricing could change at any time. I said no I just had surgery and cannot drive for 2 weeks (Abdominal surgery). But would like to discuss the pricing of the truck. He replied back well you really need to come to the dealership to discuss that and also test drive the trucks. I again told him i could not drive but can still discuss price. He has not responded or returned any more of my request. Oh well. There are other salespeople and other dealerships.
Pretty typical. Most dealerships do like not giving out numbers by email. Buyers tend to then go shopping at other dealerships referencing another dealership's numbers for leverage.

Like @Rickv100De mentions, it is a control game and once they have you on the lot, statistics get higher that they make the sale and control the pricing to their advantage. Your current medical state is does not mean a lick to them and is just a story.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
A dealer will not sell a car without making a profit ...
Sure they will. It's not typical, but there are situations where a dealer will sell a new vehicle with no profit; or even take a loss. If they have a vehicle which has been sitting and they are tired of keeping it washed, keeping the battery charged and paying interest on it, they might dump it on a buyer for a screaming deal just to get it off the lot to make room for the next truck. (I have bought a vehicle in this situation. My son bought a new Mustang in that situation as well.)

Also, in an opposite situation, if a vehicle has just arrived and the dealer hasn't spent any money to maintain it and hasn't had to pay any interest on it, they might unload it for dealer cost and give you the holdback as an additional discount to boot. The dealer gets to post a sale on "The Board" and make their goal for the month, quarter or year. Also, by selling more vehicles, the dealer gets incentives from the manufacturer. These incentives include discounted prices and the ability to get vehicles which are in high demand. It's a reward system from the manufacturer for dealers that move a lot of inventory. For example, a dealer might be willing to sell som duds, like the Chevy Cruze, at dealer cost in order to get more Corvettes which they can mark up and reap huge profits.

I test drove my Gladiator last October. The dealer was very pleasant, but would not give me more than $2,000 below MSRP. I politely declined. They said they could get me the price I wanted if ordered a truck. I said that would be fine, but I wanted to sell my old Comanche first. I didn't get around to selling my Commanche until Christmas day. I went to the dealer web site and saw they still had the same JT I test drove in October. It was the end of the month. It was the end of the year. And almost nobody buys a new vehicle in December. That truck had been on the lot for at least three months. I asked the Internet sales rep if she could get me the same price for the truck I test drove as they offered if I ordered a truck. She said yes. So I bought it. I was the only customer at the dealership. Overall, that dealer, Faricy Jeep, was great. They gave a good price and didn't pressure me to buy extras I didn't want. They even found me a loan at a very low interest rate.

Last edited:

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty typical. Most dealerships do like not giving out numbers by email. Buyers tend to then go shopping at other dealerships referencing another dealership's numbers for leverage.

Like @Rickv100De mentions, it is a control game and once they have you on the lot, statistics get higher that they make the sale and control the pricing to their advantage. Your current medical state is does not mean a lick to them and is just a story.
I wasn't using the medical issue to them as a story but in reality I was trying to explain to him I cannot drive, etc right now but I was very interested in discussing the truck and price to possibly make a deal. This dealership just a month ago was all about not even having to step foot on their lot to get a vehicle. Now they don't even want to discuss it unless I step on the lot. Kind of stupid and I can wait and there are a lot of dealerships. Once I can travel again will allow me to look at other places like Tri City with no bullshit

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I wasn't using the medical issue to them as a story but in reality I was trying to explain to him I cannot drive, etc right now but I was very interested in discussing the truck and price to possibly make a deal. This dealership just a month ago was all about not even having to step foot on their lot to get a vehicle. Now they don't even want to discuss it unless I step on the lot. Kind of stupid and I can wait and there are a lot of dealerships. Once I can travel again will allow me to look at other places like Tri City with no bullshit
To clarify, to the dealership, your medical condition is just a story that means nothing to them. Whether valid or not, all they heard was an excuse on why you could not go in and let them work their voodoo in selling you a vehicle.

While personal to you, it is not to them. That is point I was trying to make and not that I thought you were actually telling a story or being insincere.

As to Tri-City, I highly recommend them. Straight shooters and is who I ordered my Rubicon JT from.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To clarify, to the dealership, your medical condition is just a story that means nothing to them. Whether valid or not, all they heard was an excuse on why you could not go in and let them work their voodoo in selling you a vehicle.

While personal to you, it is not to them. That is point I was trying to make and not that I thought you were actually telling a story or being insincere.

As to Tri-City, I highly recommend them. Straight shooters and is who I ordered my Rubicon JT from.
Yep I got where you were coming from on it and I know they don't give crap. I wonder how they will react if Houston goes back into Lockdown again and they have deal over the internet again (LOL)
Sponsored