Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Why would there be low voltage if there are no restarts?

(read my post above. It assumes you have disabled ESS)
It's just a risk, more likely to be an issue as the battery ages. Initial startup, running a winch, or using other high draw accessories could drop the voltage enough to cause a problem.

ESS is always on and monitoring. It cannot be removed, disabled, or turned off. The dash button, and various mods and hacks, just stop it from turning off the engine when it normally would.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why would there be low voltage if there are no restarts?

(read my post above. It assumes you have disabled ESS)
There is always a draw due to the electronics periodically waking, or others being awake all the time.
And the aux batteries seem to be problematic in themselves, plus the IBS only monitors what goes into and what comes out of the main battery, not the aux battery.
I would also love to know what the wire gauge and length is from the PDC to the aux battery, how much voltage drop there is, etc. because if the IBS is seeing the voltage at the main, and the amps in and out of the main, if there's voltage drop between the alternator and the aux battery, it's getting a lower rate of charge - lower voltage - than the main battery and yet needs the same voltage to charge. AGM require higher voltages than the typical flooded battery for the initial charge phase.

OP
OP
Junker21

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys , 1993 F-150 Off Road RC SB
Occupation
Retired Mailman
I’m also having the ESS issues. Message always shows as “not ready, battery charging”. I also do not care about the feature but want to avoid it taking out the main battery. Curious does anyone know if I simply disable ESS altogether using a tazer Will this solve the issue of ESS potentially taking out my main battery?

JDMOE04

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
My ess hasn’t been working for awhile now and I do not get any “messages” on the display. Is this something to notify the dealer about, or just roll with it? For the record, I hated the ess system when it was working

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
My ess hasn’t been working for awhile now and I do not get any “messages” on the display. Is this something to notify the dealer about, or just roll with it? For the record, I hated the ess system when it was working
The messages only show on the ESS screen on the display above the steering wheel. You have to seek them out. The warning lights only come on if there is a bigger issue.

If you take it to the dealer and complain about the ESS not working, they will check for stored codes. Request that they also test both batteries. If there are no codes, and the batteries pass a load test, they will do nothing else.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Junker21

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Mailman
I’m also having the ESS issues. Message always shows as “not ready, battery charging”. I also do not care about the feature but want to avoid it taking out the main battery. Curious does anyone know if I simply disable ESS altogether using a tazer Will this solve the issue of ESS potentially taking out my main battery?
Funny, mine always just read. " not ready " . Now that ESS is working I see the read out can give more info like
"not ready -engine not running " or
"not ready "- "cabin heating" . etc.

You need to check your voltage after an
overnight. It should be at least 12.5 . If not the bad aux is drawing down the main most likely. Just opening the hood will cause a small draw until it times out . Not much but I wanted an accurate measurement
so I would raise the hood the night before or weight the hood plungers so they were closed and not causing a load. I know, I know that's getting really anal but that's how I roll . Ha !
Whether you're under warranty or not get the aux replaced because it can strand you !
My truck would start just fine at 12.0
volts , in fact you couldn't even tell the
difference probably cause it starts so
fast and that's why people don't even know they have a problem. But they do!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Use the up or down arrow buttons on the steering wheel - I believe it's page 7, that will show the status of the ESS in the cluster.

OP
OP
Junker21

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Mailman
Yes ! Same here . Do a voltage test .

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase