First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Using an antenna mount as shown between the hood and engine compartment is nearly 6" below hood level and will affect the antenna pattern on a UHF antenna. CB would would not be a concern due to the much lower frequency but for UHF the antenna will have a nearly 1/4 wavelength of blockage over about half your coverage area and there will not be a very good ground plane under the antenna.

The trunk lip mount used on the top of the hood on the outside of the hinge will place the base of the antenna at hood level and provide a great ground plane and much more even coverage. Check out post #10 in this thread https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/cb-and-gmrs-install.30130/#post-911042

Sorry you gave me a thumbs up before I could finish my edit....... I purchased a lip mount from Midland, but now I'm not so sure... If I wanted to get a different mount and put it on the side of the hood cowl, basically next to the radio antenna, would that cause any interference to either system ?
Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio 48867
Sponsored

OP
OP
SEOverlandAdventures
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
southeastoverlandadventures.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Using an antenna mount as shown between the hood and engine compartment is nearly 6" below hood level and will affect the antenna pattern on a UHF antenna. CB would would not be a concern due to the much lower frequency but for UHF the antenna will have a nearly 1/4 wavelength of blockage over about half your coverage area and there will not be a very good ground plane under the antenna.

The trunk lip mount used on the top of the hood on the outside of the hinge will place the base of the antenna at hood level and provide a great ground plane and much more even coverage. Check out post #10 in this thread https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/cb-and-gmrs-install.30130/#post-911042

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio 48867
Thanks @Radio Guy - I figured someone would jump in on the ground plane aspect.

This is why I went with the Larsen NMO 2/70B and Larsen NMO 450CHW (GRMS for Midland radio) antennas - they both are 1/2 wave antennas that do not require a ground plane. They both also several dB gain (5.5 dB for the NMO 450CHW) - which you can think of as signal amplification and longer distances.

If you want to read more about ground planes and effect they have check out the 'Antenna Ground Plane' section of this post -

https://southeast4x4trails.com/midland-mxt400-gmrs-radio-icom-ic-2730a-ham-radio-install-part-3

BTW for all reading the thread - the reason I am referencing the series of posts I did is because they have more detail on the various topics being discussed in this thread.

OP
OP
SEOverlandAdventures
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Step 2 - I am going to mount the power/fuse distribution block and the Lind shutdown timer underneath the passenger seat.

I didn't want to drill directly into the floor, so made a mounting bracket out of 16 gauge steel sheet metal and painted it black.

On the left hand side underneath the passenger seat part of the floor rises us, so I cut a section of the steel off to clear that part of the body. The unpainted piece is the first attempt and I decided that I removed way more of the plate than needed, so I got another piece of steel and cut it at angle and it fits great.

I used a Dremel tool and a model 426 reinforced fiberglass cut-off wheel to make the angle cut. I also used a grinding stone attachment to smooth out the edges and remove the burrs from the angle cut.

You could also use this bracket to mount the radio body under the seat as well.

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2853

Mounted underneath the passenger seat -

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2862

And the power/fuse block and Lind shutdown timer will be attached to the bracket in this configuration -

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2866

Parts Links:

OP
OP
SEOverlandAdventures
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I mounted my 575 under the steering column as suggested and had a couple hiccups for those of you who haven't done the install yet.
First, the space above the computer (black metal box with vent holes, i assume its the computer) fits the radio perfect at a standstill, but I found out the hard way when turning out of my driveway the steering column has wide spots that hit it when rotating the wheel.
Second the space above the 575 once installed with velcro between the two is almost nothing, which made placement very challenging and repositioning tricky (had to use a putty knife slide in between the velcro to get it apart and to stay that way so i could move the radio).

Above the computer and below the column does work, i ended up moving mine towards the passenger side so it is only partially sitting on the computer, but the industrial strength velcro is keeping it in place and rattle free.

Just my two cents from what I ran into.
You had the radio to close to the steering nuckles(towards the firewall) if you move it up 1/2 to 1" over hanging the computer it will not hit them. If you shine a light up there, you will actually see a plate covering the steering column. Anywhere under that is safe.... glad you figured it out though.... nice job !

Sponsored

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
You had the radio to close to the steering nuckles(towards the firewall) if you move it up 1/2 to 1" over hanging the computer it will not hit them. If you shine a light up there, you will actually see a plate covering the steering column. Anywhere under that is safe.... glad you figured it out though.... nice job !
I thought that might work, but at the time that would require me adding Velcro to the top of the computer and I wasn't sure if it would clear or not. Sliding sideways happened to work but moving forward was my plan B to try if it didn't. Good to know it will though, and helpful for anyone else who follows our path. Thanks.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I thought that might work, but at the time that would require me adding Velcro to the top of the computer and I wasn't sure if it would clear or not. Sliding sideways happened to work but moving forward was my plan B to try if it didn't. Good to know it will though, and helpful for anyone else who follows our path. Thanks.
No worries, I'm in the process of mounting right now... so going through the process as we speak.. lol I definitely see you point with the velcro, in my rig there is space... but dismounting will be challenging... the puddy knife works... but in my experience when using velcro with pistol holsters and other equipment, a popsicle stick works great(no sharpedges). The only show stopping issue I ran into is my power cable was about 1 foot to short.... oh so close !... lol Only because I left enough slack to keep it from being to taught. I also didn't want to cut through the firewall or use the "clutch" plug. I wanted to keep it a super clean install. The only place that you can see the harness is where it connects to the battery. Now if I just had someone to talk to... ha ha

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries, I'm in the process of mounting right now... so going through the process as we speak.. lol I definitely see you point with the velcro, in my rig there is space... but dismounting will be challenging... the puddy knife works... but in my experience when using velcro with pistol holsters and other equipment, a popsicle stick works great(no sharpedges). The only show stopping issue I ran into is my power cable was about 1 foot to short.... oh so close !... lol Only because I left enough slack to keep it from being to taught. I also didn't want to cut through the firewall or use the "clutch" plug. I wanted to keep it a super clean install. The only place that you can see the harness is where it connects to the battery. Now if I just had someone to talk to... ha ha
ha! Yeah i'm in the same boat. I have had mine installed for a couple weeks now but don't actually know if it works well. I haven't had anyone to talk with on it. I have a set of handhelds on order, so I'll find someone to give me a hand testing it using those eventually. About 10 years ago when in installed a CB in my JK I used a ... SWR(?) meter to check the antenna/cable install. (I'm no expert as you can tell). Is there a similar thing to do with GMRS?

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Thanks @Radio Guy - I figured someone would jump in on the ground plane aspect.

This is why I went with the Larsen NMO 2/70B and Larsen NMO 450CHW (GRMS for Midland radio) antennas - they both are 1/2 wave antennas that do not require a ground plane. They both also several dB gain (5.5 dB for the NMO 450CHW) - which you can think of as signal amplification and longer distances.

If you want to read more about ground planes and effect they have check out the 'Antenna Ground Plane' section of this post -

https://southeast4x4trails.com/midland-mxt400-gmrs-radio-icom-ic-2730a-ham-radio-install-part-3

BTW for all reading the thread - the reason I am referencing the series of posts I did is because they have more detail on the various topics being discussed in this thread.
Does this antenna work well with GMRS, the description says 440-450MHz... or is it close enough ? Still figuring out the antenna stuff... lol

OP
OP
SEOverlandAdventures
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Does this antenna work well with GMRS, the description says 440-450MHz... or is it close enough ? Still figuring out the antenna stuff... lol
I just realized that the link was wrong - sorry about that.

This is the Larsen antenna you want for the GMRS radio. It does work well with GMRS and it doesn't require a ground plane. It is the antenna I am using as well.

https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-...igh-gain-antennas/833-larsen-nmo450chw-detail

I finished my install over the weekend and will post some pics and details shortly as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SEOverlandAdventures
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
ha! Yeah i'm in the same boat. I have had mine installed for a couple weeks now but don't actually know if it works well. I haven't had anyone to talk with on it. I have a set of handhelds on order, so I'll find someone to give me a hand testing it using those eventually. About 10 years ago when in installed a CB in my JK I used a ... SWR(?) meter to check the antenna/cable install. (I'm no expert as you can tell). Is there a similar thing to do with GMRS?
SWR meter is correct - I picked up this one off Amazon and it works well for 2m/70cm/GMRS frequencies.

You will need a short coax jumper to connect to the radio antenna terminal on one end and the TX port on the SWR meter for the other end. The coax to the antenna connects to the SWR meter's ANT port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7QPXEY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ideally, you want a SWR ratio of 2.0 or lower. 1.0 is a perfect ratio where none of the signal is being reflected (loss). I took a couple readings yesterday on mine install and got 1.96 on GMRS channel 1 and just over 2.0 on channel 15.

This post has more info on SWR ratios if you want to dive deeper into it.

https://southeast4x4trails.com/midland-mxt400-gmrs-radio-icom-ic-2730a-ham-radio-install-part-5/

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Word of caution to those wanting to use there Aux switches or the live feed to power radios; you may and or will have power issues and noise.

I tried to use the aux lines and could not, had to run direct grounds and power from the batt on my Mid-275.

OP
OP
SEOverlandAdventures
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Here are some photos from the rest of my install.

Originally I was planning on mounting the radio bodies on the panel that is behind the rear seats. After reading several posts on this forum about people not being able to remove the panel without breaking it or the plastic retaining clips that attach the panel to the cab I decided to mount both the radio bodies and the Blue Sea fuse distribution block under the passenger seat.

I think this ended up being a better approach because the wiring was easier to run and hide underneath the center console trim. Yes, the radios are in front of the floor vent for heat/AC, but of course, I can just not use the floor vents when the heat is on in the winter.

I shot a lot of video of the install for each step. It will take a while to edit it, but I am planning on making a series of shorter videos for each step vs. a single, long video. I'll post the links here as I finish them.

The photos are not the best quality, but I'm happy to answer any questions or take more photos if anyone is interested until I can finish the install videos.

I made a bracket out of 2" aluminum bar stock to mount the maxi fuse block. I'll paint this body color similar to the fender antenna mounts.

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_3002

All of the wiring (8 ga power cable, 2 RG-58/U antenna coax cables and a 14 ga hot wire for the override switch) all fit through the existing hole in the firewall grommet. I didn't have to drill it out thankfully.

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_3004

This is the GMRS antenna (Larsen NMO 450CHW) mounted -

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2999

This is the ham radio antenna mounted (Larsen NMO 2/70B)

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_3003

The Lind shutdown timer is mounted on the driver side kick panel just below where the wiring drops through the firewall. I used Gorilla Heavy Duty mounting tape to attach it.

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_3033

I re-used the brackets I made when I mounted the radios in my TJ to mount them to the bracket I made to go under the passenger side seat. The Blue Sea power distribution fuse block is on the right side. The MXT575 is on top and the IC-2730A is on the bottom.

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2975

I used #8 neoprene spacers to fill in the the gap between the IC-2730A body width and the MXT575 body width.

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2976

More photos of the bracket assembled -

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2973

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2974

Radios and fuse block all wired up (I took the passenger seat out). The front of the Jeep is the right side, the rear is the left side.

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2978

Clearance once the passenger seat is installed -

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2992

IC-2730A control head, phone mount and iPad mount -

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2993

MXT575 Mic Installed on the dash. I used the magnetic mic attachment since I will use it more frequently on the trail -

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2996

Jeep Gladiator Detailed Radio Install Project - Midland MXT575 GMRS & Icom IC-2730A Ham Radio IMG_2998

Last edited:

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SWR meter is correct - I picked up this one off Amazon and it works well for 2m/70cm/GMRS frequencies.

You will need a short coax jumper to connect to the radio antenna terminal on one end and the TX port on the SWR meter for the other end. The coax to the antenna connects to the SWR meter's ANT port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7QPXEY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ideally, you want a SWR ratio of 2.0 or lower. 1.0 is a perfect ratio where none of the signal is being reflected (loss). I took a couple readings yesterday on mine install and got 1.96 on GMRS channel 1 and just over 2.0 on channel 15.

This post has more info on SWR ratios if you want to dive deeper into it.

https://southeast4x4trails.com/midland-mxt400-gmrs-radio-icom-ic-2730a-ham-radio-install-part-5/
Perfect. Thanks I'll dig into that thread.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Yes, you can use the SWR meter the same way. I just received mine. I used this one (cheap and gets lots of reviews and plenty YouTube videos on it)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3134831133...Rir0w76wTdi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS
Sponsored