Diesel Rubicon Mountain Tow

tcramer11

First Name
todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Cayenne
I am about to pull trigger on a Diesel Rubicon because I love the feel of the daily driver torque, off road power, and solid mileage. I also plan to buy an Opus 4 low profile pop up camper that has these tow specs:

Dry weight (lb): 2,870
Tongue weight (lb): 220
GVWR (lb): 3,970
Load capacity (lb): 1,100

I read that the diesel has a 932 lb payload max rating.

So my calculations:
-470 Family weight
-220 - Tongue weight per above (however if I add 1100lbs of weight to opus rack...what does this do to tongue weight with articulating trailer hitch.
-220- Dog and 165 -Rebel Explore Bed Rack

This comes out to 910 total but I ams sure a few bags go in bed and I can use that 1100lb opus trailer load capacity to put bikes or other items that dont need to go in the bed.

Seems like I might go a little over on the tow rating. However, I live at high altitude in Colorado and frequently go over big passes. Not sure how to determine the high altitude factor in my situation? Thoughts? Also do I need a trailer brake from factory put in? Thanks I am new to the towing element.
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
What’s the tow capacity of the rubicon?

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Your tongue weight should be around 10% of your trailer weight. When you load it, you don’t want to put everything in the back. The more weight you have in front of the axle, the more stable it will be.

Figure out what the GCVW is of the gladiator and it’s tow capacity. With those numbers you can figure out what you can tow with family and stuff included.

OP
OP

tcramer11

First Name
todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Cayenne
I found some specs but unsure how to put this all together with my family etc specs in original post. Can someone help me connect the dots to see if I am OK on towing and also opinion on what happens at high altitude? Final question- if the airflow is the limiting factor cant I add another intake from the aftermarket that sits on side of engine to increase air flow and that increases tow?

Payload: 1,160 pounds (Rubicon)
Diesel Rubicon Automatic Transmission has a GCWR of 11,800 pounds, a Frontal area of 55sf, a max gross trailer weight of 6000 pounds and a max tongue weight of 600 pounds.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Turbo Charged engines will accommodate for the change in elevation because it is forcing air instead of drawing it into the engine. You should not notice any reduction in power due to elevation.

Frontal area will be fine as a pop up will only be about 35sqft

If you add 1,100lb to the camper and it is balanced in the center over the axles correctly it will only add 100lbs or so to the tongue. If you add it toward the from it will add more to the tongue, and weight to rear will remove the tongue weight (dangerous). Better too much tongue weight than not enough. Add weight to the center of the camper and you will get the best "bang for your buck", and the tongue weight will be minimal.

1160-470-220-220 dog(WTF kind of dog you got? lol) -165 box = 85lbs of good times remaining.

That setup will be no problem for that JTR.

I am looking to pull an 5000lb camper when I get mine.

OP
OP

tcramer11

First Name
todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Cayenne
Turbo Charged engines will accommodate for the change in elevation because it is forcing air instead of drawing it into the engine. You should not notice any reduction in power due to elevation.

Frontal area will be fine as a pop up will only be about 35sqft

If you add 1,100lb to the camper and it is balanced in the center over the axles correctly it will only add 100lbs or so to the tongue. If you add it toward the from it will add more to the tongue, and weight to rear will remove the tongue weight (dangerous). Better too much tongue weight than not enough. Add weight to the center of the camper and you will get the best "bang for your buck", and the tongue weight will be minimal.

1160-470-220-220 dog(WTF kind of dog you got? lol) -165 box = 85lbs of good times remaining.

That setup will be no problem for that JTR.

I am looking to pull an 5000lb camper when I get mine.

Thanks for those insights. I meant 50 pound dog.
Sponsored